IGNORED

2023 gaming tierlists

LHCGreg

Graphics Team · Posted
22 hours ago, wongojack said:

LOL - Zelda finally takes its rightful place behind Worm War I.  I'm sure this board will love that.

I really need to play more Worm War - definitely an underrated title.

I probably should've ranked Zelda slightly higher, but the contrarian in me refuses to admit that I enjoyed such a popular game haha.

Worm War I is in a league of it's own, though. 

[T-Pac]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here is my list.  I completed two main goals last year:

• Participate in the "8-Bit High Score Club" on a certain Atari website to celebrate the 40th anniversary of some of my favorite Atari computer games.
  • Complete at least a couple of games on Switch even if they take longer than I usually spend (Celeste and Smash were each at least a month of dedicated game time).

S
Celeste (Switch)
TMNT Shredder's Revenge (Switch)

A
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS)
Frogger 2: Threedeep! (Atari 8-Bit)
Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Switch)

B
Bruce Lee (Atari 8-Bit)
Danmaku Unlimited 3 (Switch)
Montezuma's Revenge (clones) (Atari 8-Bit)
Mr. Do! (Atari 8-Bit)
Mr. Do's Castle (Atari 8-Bit)
Ms. Pac-Man (Atari 8-Bit)
Necromancer (Atari 8-Bit)
SNK Anniversary Collection (Switch)
Pikuniku (Switch)
The Tail of Beta Lyrae (Atari 8-Bit)

C
Bruce Lee: Return of Fury (Atari 8-Bit)
Double (Atari 8-Bit)
The Gardens Between (Switch)
Ixion (Atari 8-Bit)
James Bond 007 (Atari 8-Bit)
Jungle Hunt (Atari 8-Bit)
Joust (Atari 8-Bit)
Meteor Storm (Atari 8-Bit)
Millipede (Atari 8-Bit)
Moon Patrol Redux (Atari 8-Bit)
Night Knight (Atari 8-Bit)
Q*Bert (Atari 8-Bit)
Radical Radial (Arcade Archives/Switch)
Repton (Atari 8-Bit)
Rescue on Fractalus! (Atari 8-Bit)
Robotron 2084 (Atari 8-Bit)
Time Wizard (Atari 8-Bit)

D
Aquatron (Atari 8-Bit)
Axis Assassin (Atari 8-Bit)
Der Shranker 3 (Atari 8-Bit)
Donkey Kong Jr (Atari 8-Bit)
Eel Ecrub (Bruce Lee backwards) (Atari 8-Bit)
Eliminator (Atari 8-Bit)
Hard Hat Mack (Atari 8-Bit)
Lode Runner (NES)
Manic Miner (Atari 8-Bit)
Maniac Miner (different game!) (Atari 8-Bit)
O'Riley's Mine (Atari 8-Bit)
Rockball (Atari 8-Bit)
Sky Blazer (Atari 8-Bit)
Warhawk (Atari 8-Bit)
ZauberBall '23 (Atari 8-Bit)

F
Caverns of Eris (Atari 8-Bit)
Dawn Raider (Atari 8-Bit)
The Living Daylights (Atari 8-Bit)
Wing Wars (Atari 8-Bit)
Worms? (Atari 8-Bit)

Edited by rdrunner
  • Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted
On 1/8/2024 at 8:36 PM, T-Pac said:

-S-
Lode Runner [NES]

21 hours ago, rdrunner said:

D
Lode Runner (NES)

Wow - we had very different opinions on this one haha.
Lode Runner is definitely one of those "hit-or-miss" games for sure.

Also - your list is making me want to get into Atari 8-bit. Looks like a ton of great titles in there!

[T-Pac]

• Like 2

On 1/10/2024 at 12:53 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Sweet list @rdrunner

I think being fan of djent metal goes a long ways with enjoying Danmaku Unlimited 3.

Thanks.  The music from Danmaku Unlimited is a bit different for me, but I still like it.  Mostly just got it as a bullet hell trainer.  Trying to work up to where I can finally clear the third stage of Mushi Futari on normal mode lol.

12 hours ago, T-Pac said:

Wow - we had very different opinions on this one haha.

Lode Runner is definitely one of those "hit-or-miss" games for sure.

Also - your list is making me want to get into Atari 8-bit. Looks like a ton of great titles in there!

[T-Pac]

Atari 8-Bit has loads of great stuff!  Totally worth playing just about anything down to my C tier, especially if you like arcade ports.

Lode Runner is a good game, but the NES has probably one of the worst versions of it.  It only has 50 stages, where others have 150.  It also makes the stage layouts too large, forcing the player to scroll the screen and blindly run into traps.  All other versions I've played may use stick puppet graphics, but at least you can see everything.

I have other nitpicks, but those are the biggest ones, hence the D.  I will admit that it's better than nothing if it's the only platform you have access to it with.  Glad you liked it!

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
11 hours ago, rdrunner said:

Lode Runner is a good game, but the NES has probably one of the worst versions of it.  It only has 50 stages, where others have 150.  It also makes the stage layouts too large, forcing the player to scroll the screen and blindly run into traps.  All other versions I've played may use stick puppet graphics, but at least you can see everything.

I have other nitpicks, but those are the biggest ones, hence the D.  I will admit that it's better than nothing if it's the only platform you have access to it with.  Glad you liked it!

Ah - that makes sense. I've only ever played the NES version, so my frame of reference isn't relative.

I will say, though - the game was already starting to drag at 50 levels, so I appreciate that this port was truncated. 

[T-Pac]

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rdrunner said:

Thanks.  The music from Danmaku Unlimited is a bit different for me, but I still like it.  Mostly just got it as a bullet hell trainer.  Trying to work up to where I can finally clear the third stage of Mushi Futari on normal mode lol.

Atari 8-Bit has loads of great stuff!  Totally worth playing just about anything down to my C tier, especially if you like arcade ports.

3 hours ago, T-Pac said:

Ah - that makes sense. I've only ever played the NES version, so my frame of reference isn't relative.

I will say, though - the game was already starting to drag at 50 levels, so I appreciate that this port was truncated. 

[T-Pac]

Interesting Load Runner chitchat.  I believe the original was on the Apple II.  I could have my facts mixed up, but I think the creator sent it out with a level creator and users sent him back levels.  They got added into a subsequent release and the releases for the various home computers got those too.

As a kid, I never even considered that I would "finish" Load Runner, but it was still a staple of that short little window where home computers dominated video games.  It is one of those games that is cemented in your memory from the first time you played it.  Scrolling screen would be shocking to me, but if that is the only version you've ever seen then it makes sense you'd like it because the core gameplay still holds.

Edited by wongojack
  • Like 1