IGNORED

2023 gaming tierlists

LHCGreg

Another year, another tier list. Post the games you played in 2023 and how you rank them. I made mine with the offline tierlist maker from https://github.com/silverweed/tiers. Feel free to be lazy and just post text though.

Fewer games for me than 2022 since I've been stuck trying to get every pokemon in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team for the last several months.

spacer.png

S: Fight'n Rage
A: Tetris Attack, Touhou 10: Mountain of Faith, Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube), Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course
B: Battle of Olympus, Super Mario Sunshine, Madden 06, Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, Final Vendetta, NFL Blitz 2003, Fire Shark, Kirby's Pinball Land, Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara (via Chronicles of Mystara collection on Steam), Burnout 2, Gokujo Parodius (SFC), What the Golf, Sim City (SNES)
C; Chuck Rock 2: Son of Chuck, Super Bonk, Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom (via Chronicles of Mystara collection on Steam), Phantasy Star IV, Gekitotsu Yonku Battle (famicom), Soldiers of Fortune (SNES), Whip Rush
D; The Three Stooges (NES), Boomer's Adventure in Asmik World
Children's Edutainment: Sesame Street 1 2 3

Past years:

Edited by LHCGreg
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, LHCGreg said:

Another year, another tier list. Post the games you played in 2023 and how you rank them. I made mine with the offline tierlist maker from https://github.com/silverweed/tiers. Feel free to be lazy and just post text though.

Fewer games for me than 2022 since I've been stuck trying to get every pokemon in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team for the last several months.

spacer.png

S: Fight'n Rage
A: Tetris Attack, Touhou 10: Mountain of Faith, Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube), Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course
B: Battle of Olympus, Super Mario Sunshine, Madden 06, Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, Final Vendetta, NFL Blitz 2003, Fire Shark, Kirby's Pinball Land, Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara (via Chronicles of Mystara collection on Steam), Burnout 2, Gokujo Parodius (SFC), What the Golf, Sim City (SNES)
C; Chuck Rock 2: Son of Chuck, Super Bonk, Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom (via Chronicles of Mystara collection on Steam), Phantasy Star IV, Gekitotsu Yonku Battle (famicom), Soldiers of Fortune (SNES), Whip Rush
D; The Three Stooges (NES), Boomer's Adventure in Asmik World
Children's Edutainment: Sesame Street 1 2 3

Past years:

Some great games there for sure.  Not many go back and play old sports games, and I always like to see a pinball game mentioned.  It occurs to me that I've never heard of Fight'n Rage.  Shame on me, I guess.

LOL - Try to get an "F" in there next year for me

*Games are listed alphabetically within their tier.

A 

• Fallout New Vegas - X360
  • Mike Tyson's Punch Out - NES
  • Shovel Knight - PS4

B 

• Assassin's Creed Chronicles China - XBox S/X
  • Battlefield Bad Company 2 (single player) - X360
  • Castlevania Symphony of the Night - X360
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops (single player) - X360
  • Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare (single player) - X360 
  • Dead Space 3 - X360
  • Fallout Shelter - XBox S/X
  • Forza Horizon 5 - Xbox S/X
  • Out of Space: Couch Edition - Xbox S/X
  • Retro Bowl College - Browser
  • Spy Hunter - NES 

C 

• Catacombs of the Undercity - PC
  • Escape from Monkey Island - PS2
  • Ico - PS2
  • Life is Strange - Xbox S/X
  • Rygar - NES
  • Wandersong - PC 

D 

• Onsen Master - Xbox S/X
  • River City Ransom - NES

F 

• Pong Quest - PC

Games I didn't finish, but I will give a preliminary rating 

• Infernax - A
  • Minecraft - B 
  • Dreams - B 
  • Hand of Fate 2 - C 
  • It Takes Two - C

If I had to pick a top game for 'S' tier, it would be Mike Tyson's Punch Out.  It took me more than 35 years to beat him, so he wins out.   When I asked my wife which game should be #1, she said "pick one that makes you feel like you are having fun, not one you yell at."  She was down on MTPO and would have gone with Out of Space instead.  There was still a fair amount of yelling with Out of Space, but I guess it was different as a co-op game.  Interesting that she didn't select Minecraft which we played together more than any game in our 20+ year history of marriage.

It was an interesting year because I played a lot of games that I can't really rate.  I went through a long stretch where I was playing games in my PC services libraries that are 120mb or less.  I would start them up and play them from anywhere from 10 mins to an hour.  This meant I got a lot of variety but not a lot of completions.  I also didn't participate in as many "High Score" contests.  As a result, when I compare to 2022 I have fewer games on the list and A LOT fewer classic games.  Another thing that jumps out when comparing to '22 is that similar games were scored lower last year.  For example I put Retro Bowl in the C tier last year, but Retro Bowl College is a B tier game in '23.  I also had Blood Stone 007 in the C tier last year, but it is a very similar game to the single player FPS games I played at the end of this year (which I put in B tier).

Edit - my XBox One broke this year, so it is hard to decide if a game should be XBox S/X or One.  Technically the S/X does everything the One does.
Edited by wongojack
  • Like 3

@Reed Rothchild - wow 8 tiers.  That's quite a few levels of differentiation (but not quite 10).

I'm interested in your opinion of Hades.  I played it after I heard the hype the first year it came out, but the praise really  didn't make sense to me.  I didn't think it was a bad game, but I definitely didn't get the hype.  The mix of greek mythology and a kinda anime art style was also a bit anachronistic and hard to get used to.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, wongojack said:

@Reed Rothchild - wow 8 tiers.  That's quite a few levels of differentiation (but not quite 10).

I'm interested in your opinion of Hades.  I played it after I heard the hype the first year it came out, but the praise really  didn't make sense to me.  I didn't think it was a bad game, but I definitely didn't get the hype.  The mix of greek mythology and a kinda anime art style was also a bit anachronistic and hard to get used to.

I just wanted a nice curve 😅

I'd already been scoring all of them out of 10 in the backlog thread so this is just a visual representation of that.

As for Hades, take Dead Cells, add permanent progression, a much more beefed up storyline, a huge script with great voice acting, more replayability... and you end up with yet another phenomenal roguelikes, a genre that's been arguably the most compelling in gaming over the last decade.

• Like 1

This is a fun idea, here's mine (I didn't order the games within the tiers):

4GgvXQO.jpg

Beat a lot of N64 last year for the completion topic but that affected the tiers for some games like Rampage, which is a decent game if you just play it for a couple levels but a terrible game to actually beat.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I just wanted a nice curve 😅

I'd already been scoring all of them out of 10 in the backlog thread so this is just a visual representation of that.

As for Hades, take Dead Cells, add permanent progression, a much more beefed up storyline, a huge script with great voice acting, more replayability... and you end up with yet another phenomenal roguelikes, a genre that's been arguably the most compelling in gaming over the last decade.

I guess it's rogelikes.  I play them, but I don't think any of them have really grabbed me.  Maybe Slay the Spire?  I played FTL to the end.  Does that count?  I'm usually ready to walk away from all of them after about the 5th death.

Edit - I do like the curve.  Was thinking about forcing a curve into my list . . .

Edited by wongojack

30 minutes ago, ikk said:

This is a fun idea, here's mine (I didn't order the games within the tiers):

4GgvXQO.jpg

Beat a lot of N64 last year for the completion topic but that affected the tiers for some games like Rampage, which is a decent game if you just play it for a couple levels but a terrible game to actually beat.

Reminds me of all the games I have yet to play.  I am dying to hear some anecdotes about Premier Manager 64 all the way down at the bottom.  That is a series that I have considered dipping into (although not the N64 version).

14 minutes ago, wongojack said:

Reminds me of all the games I have yet to play.  I am dying to hear some anecdotes about Premier Manager 64 all the way down at the bottom.  That is a series that I have considered dipping into (although not the N64 version).

I don't get the appeal of this series, a sports game where you don't even play the sport yourself 🤷‍♂️
I just found it incredibly boring and worst of all it doesn't feel like your choices actually matter. With a setup you can beat 1 team easily with like 3-0 and the next match with the same setup against a lower ranked team you would lose horribly.
I'm tempted to restart it and use savestates before matches to check if my choices actually mattered, but I've already spent more time on this game than it's worth.

I'd rather play Superman 64 than Premier Manager 64, at least Superman at parts reaches so bad it's good territory.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ikk said:

I don't get the appeal of this series, a sports game where you don't even play the sport yourself 🤷‍♂️
I just found it incredibly boring and worst of all it doesn't feel like your choices actually matter. With a setup you can beat 1 team easily with like 3-0 and the next match with the same setup against a lower ranked team you would lose horribly.
I'm tempted to restart it and use savestates before matches to check if my choices actually mattered, but I've already spent more time on this game than it's worth.

I'd rather play Superman 64 than Premier Manager 64, at least Superman at parts reaches so bad it's good territory.

Ah, well the genre is a long-beloved one full of history across many major sports, but the football/soccer variety is especially renowned by its fans.  I've played many sports games that require "management," and I want to get myself into one of the games in the Premier Manager series at some point.  As an original user of Commodore computers, I was planning to start there. 

I did finally dip into the "Sensible Soccer" ocean in 2022.  I learned to play and played quite a bit of the franchise mode.  It was worth it to understand the history and deep love of that game.  Hoping I discover something similar about Premier Manager someday.  We'll see if it happens in 2024.  If so, I will report back.

8 hours ago, wongojack said:

Ah, well the genre is a long-beloved one full of history across many major sports, but the football/soccer variety is especially renowned by its fans.  I've played many sports games that require "management," and I want to get myself into one of the games in the Premier Manager series at some point.  As an original user of Commodore computers, I was planning to start there. 

I did finally dip into the "Sensible Soccer" ocean in 2022.  I learned to play and played quite a bit of the franchise mode.  It was worth it to understand the history and deep love of that game.  Hoping I discover something similar about Premier Manager someday.  We'll see if it happens in 2024.  If so, I will report back.

I know that there are plenty of people who like these games, but they just aren't for me so maybe I've been overly harsh on it.

I'm curious if I just did something wrong or if your choices really barely matter and it's all random, like it felt to me. Please do let me know if you ever try it.

• Like 1

image.jpeg.061052ade19b1257d77a176cc2da9365.jpeg

I played some others, but only ranking the ones that were finished. It was a good year of gaming. I mostly enjoyed what I played and it felt like the right amount; not too little, not too much to be overwhelming.

And I agree, @LHCGreg: Fight'N Rage is great! 😄

• Like 3

All PC for me last year I think? Hmm.

Really, really good
Cruelty Squad
Brigand: Oaxana
Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy
Elasto Mania

Really good
Opus Magnum
Post Void
Chronicon

Good
Necesse
Heavenly Bodies
Bread & Fred
Automaton Lung
Toree 2
The Looker
Pony Island

I also beat these video games
Toree 3D
Scanner Sombre
Omori

• Like 3

S Tier

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! (NES)
Mendel Palace (NES)
Super Mario Bros (NES)
Popeye (NES)
H.E.R.O. (2600)
Ms. Pac-Man (2600)
Joust (2600)

A Tier

Dr. Mario (NES)
Legacy of the Wizard (NES)
Renegade (NES)
Mountain King (2600)
Roc'N'Rope (2600)
Tapper (2600)

B Tier

Metal Gear (MSX)
Millipede (NES)
Palamedes (NES)
Commander Keen 1 (PC)
Rad Racer (NES)
1943 (NES)
Spy Hunter (NES)
Tiny Toon Adventures (NES)
Fantastic Voyage (2600)
Frogger 2 (2600)
Crystal Castles (2600)
Subterranea (2600)

C Tier

Metal Gear (NES)
Solomon's Key (NES)
Battletoads & Double Dragon (NES)
Guardian Legends (NES)
Communist Mutants from Space (2600)
Double Dragon 2 (NES)
Ninja Gaiden 2 (NES)
Isolated Warriors (NES)
Yo! Noid (NES)
Flash Gordon (2600)
Gyruss (2600)
Frogger Starpath (2600)

D Tier

Legendary Wings (NES)
Ice Hockey (NES)
Yie-Ar Kung Fu (NES)
Pinball (NES)
Defender (2600)
Rabbit Transit (2600)
Lost Luggage (2600)
Crazy Climber (2600)

F Tier

Ski or Die (NES)
Revenge of the Beefsteak Tomatoes (2600)
Burgertime (2600)
Miner 2049er (2600)

Edited by G-type
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, G-type said:

I specified which console when needed

S Tier

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!
Mendel Palace
Super Mario Bros
Popeye
H.E.R.O.
Ms. Pac-Man (Atari)
Joust (Atari)

A Tier

Dr. Mario
Legacy of the Wizard
Renegade
Mountain King
Roc'N'Rope
Tapper (Atari)

B Tier

Metal Gear (MSX)
Millipede
Palamedes
Rad Racer
Spy Hunter
Tiny Toon Adventures
Fantastic Voyage
Frogger 2
Crystal Castles
Subterranea

C Tier

Solomon's Key
Battletoads & Double Dragon
Guardian Legends
Double Dragon 2
Ninja Gaiden 2
Isolated Warriors
Yo! Noid
Metal Gear (NES)
Flash Gordon
Gyruss
Frogger Starpath

D Tier

Legendary Wings
Ice Hockey
Yie-Ar Kung Fu
Pinball
Communist Mutants from Space
Defender
Rabbit Transit
Lost Luggage
Crazy Climber (Atari)

F Tier

Ski or Die
Revenge of the Beefsteak Tomatoes
Burgertime (Atari)
Miner 2049er

Wow - an impressive list of classic games.  I also had MTPO at the top of my list this year.  I guess it is going strong 35+ years later.

Personally, I have a bit of a soft spot for Communist Mutants from Space.  I Iike all the menu options, and I think it stands up against the other vertical shooters on the 2600, but I could see how someone wouldn't like it.  They take a pretty minimalist approach to the whole thing.

12 minutes ago, wongojack said:

Personally, I have a bit of a soft spot for Communist Mutants from Space.  I Iike all the menu options, and I think it stands up against the other vertical shooters on the 2600, but I could see how someone wouldn't like it.  They take a pretty minimalist approach to the whole thing.

I probably should bump it up a tier, (I played it back in May so it wasn't as fresh in my memory). It's a really hard game. My high score was 25,650, playing on Difficulty 5, using shields, time warp, and penetrating shots, (but no guided shots)

I always activated time warp right away to take out the mother alien on the first shot, and then every shot thereafter needs to take out at least 2-3 at a time. Don't use the shields until the time warp is finished.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

I'm missing a handful of games from the start of the year, but here's my 2023 tier-list. (The games are even ranked within each rank haha.) 

Thanks for starting this thread again, @LHCGreg! I love looking back at what I played this year and seeing how it all stacks-up!

[T-Pac]

image.png.c25db5d4fef5d8afda60c1a78111349e.png

-S-
Bosconian [PnP]
R-Type II [GB]
R-Type [GB]
Worm War I [2600]
Balloon Fight [NES]
Dragonfire [2600]
R-Type III [SFC]
Curse [MD]
Lode Runner [NES]

-A-
R-Type [TG-16]
Asteroids [2600]
Phoenix [2600]
Strike Gunner STG [SFC]
Dragon Spirit [NES]
Final Soldier [PCE]
Hello Kitty World [FC]
Dead Moon [PCE]
Super Bomberman 2 [SFC]
Pop'N Twinbee [SFC]
Truxton (Tatsujin) [GEN]

-B-
Raiden Densetsu [SFC]
Violent Soldier [PCE]
Shatterhand [NES]
Castlevania [NES]
Cocoron [FC]
Coryoon [PCE]
Tekkaman Blade [SFC]
Whip Rush [GEN]
Human Cannonball [2600]
Mighty Bomb Jack [NES]
Wizards & Warriors [NES]
Zanac [NES]
Cotton 100% [SFC]

-C-
Encounter at L-5 [2600]
Lightening Force [GEN]
Solar Striker [GB]
The Legend of Zelda [NES]
M.A.D. [2600]

-D-
Circus Caper [NES]
Wrath of the Black Manta [NES]

-F-
(none)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, T-Pac said:

I'm missing a handful of games from the start of the year, but here's my 2023 tier-list. (The games are even ranked within each rank haha.) 

Thanks for starting this thread again, @LHCGreg! I love looking back at what I played this year and seeing how it all stacks-up!

[T-Pac]

image.png.c25db5d4fef5d8afda60c1a78111349e.png

-S-
Bosconian [PnP]
R-Type II [GB]
R-Type [GB]
Worm War I [2600]
Balloon Fight [NES]
Dragonfire [2600]
R-Type III [SFC]
Curse [MD]
Lode Runner [NES]

-C-
Encounter at L-5 [2600]
Lightening Force [GEN]
Solar Striker [GB]
The Legend of Zelda [NES]
M.A.D. [2600]

LOL - Zelda finally takes its rightful place behind Worm War I.  I'm sure this board will love that.

I really need to play more Worm War - definitely an underrated title.

Edited by wongojack
  • Haha 1

On 1/4/2024 at 10:00 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Elden Ring was at the top for both 2022 and 2023 because I played it from October through Februaryimage.png.e1b5d40140ddc40ea34f196aaa7cd229.png

pretty low score for Indigo Prophecy. That's one that's been in my backlog since it came out... one of my old friends had recommended it to me.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, G-type said:

pretty low score for Indigo Prophecy. That's one that's been in my backlog since it came out... one of my old friends had recommended it to me.

So, that's the Reed scale.  I gave it a 5.5/10 which is an okay game, it just went up against a tough slate of games because I intentionally targeted a bunch of bangers last year.

Anyway, Indigo Prophecy... wtf and a half.  I thought it was a straight up crime procedural thriller, similar to his other game Heavy Rain.  I owned it back in the day and only played the first few hours so it seems like that's exactly what it is.

But if you stick with it, the game goes completely off the rails into batshit crazydom.  Like, something seriously got fucked up in development and they had to rush the 2nd half of the game, and no one spoke up about reining in some of the more insane twists.

Also, it uses the exact same QTE minigame five hundred thousand billion trillion times.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I played some decent games last year so nothing really fell into the lower ranks for me. I also played quite a few 10/10 games, which was a surprise. Hopefully I can discover as many this year.

S Tier

Mario & Luigi RPG (GBA)

Paper Mario 64 (N64)

Super Mario Advance 4 (SMB 3) plus the 38 e+ card levels. (GBA)

Metroid Zero Mission (GBA)

Beyond Good & Evil (GC)

A Tier

Battle for Naboo (N64)

Wario World (GC)

Rogue Squadron (N64)

Super Donkey Kong GB (GB)

LoZ: Triforce of the Gods (GBA)

Mario Vs DK (GBA)

HOMM2 (PC)

Starfox Assault (GC)

B Tier

007 World is not enough (N64)

Super Mario Advance 2 (GBA)

Super Donkey Kong (GBA)

New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS)

Famicom Remix: Best Choice (3DS)

Sonic generations (3DS)

Super Monkey Ball (GC)

C Tier

Hudson selections vol 3 PC Genjin (GC)

Bayonetta 3 (Switch)

Kuru Kuru Kurin (GBA)

Mickey to Minnie no Magical Quest 2 (GBA)

• Like 3