IGNORED

Trading system idea

phart010

I don’t know if this idea is too complex to code for the architecture, but here goes. 

I think for the trading system you should be  able to select all of the games that you would like to a “want” list. Then you should be able to select all of the games that you  like to a “for trade” list. 

Then you can run a search and the trade system will identify all of the members that have a game for trade that appears on your want list as long as you have an item for trade that is on their want list. Then you can initiate a conversation or even look over that persons complete want list to see if there’s anything they want that you have..

Example:

Lets say I want Chrono Trigger SNES.  I have a whole bunch of $15 - $30 games in my collection like SMB3, Megaman 4, TMNT 3 etc, but only SMB3 is listed in my “for trade” list. I run the search and it matches me with a user who has Chrono Trigger for trade and he wants SMB3, which is on my for trade list. 

However, that’s not an even trade. So I go to that users profile and I see that he also has Megaman 4 and TMNT3 on his “want” list.  He doesn’t know I have these games because they are not on my “for trade” list, but I decide I’d be willing to offer them up in order to get Chrono Trigger so I initiate a conversation and offer all 3 games for Chrono Trigger.

Thats the idea I had. What do you think, is it possible to code something like that?

Edited by phart010
Editing

This would be really great by the way, if done properly! The biggest hurdles on the.. ahem, previous site was locating games I wanted to purchase, then estimating if they had been sold or not (if the sales thread was 5 months old..)

So besides trades, this should be implemented for selling and buying as well! Imagine everyone would have a list of titles they're willing to sell (or trade) and buy (or trade), including the conditions and asking price. If these lists would be linked to a maintained list of games such as the ones that existed on NA, I could instantly see what my buying options for a certain games are, or, for instance have a notification appear once the games on my want list become available. 

I'mm still looking forward to how the sales, feedback and all will work on this site and this could be ground breaking feature for that. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, scaryice said:

Are you on GameTZ? That's pretty much the same thing that they do already.

I never heard of GameTZ, but now that I’ve looked it up, you’re right. It has the functionality I was talking about. I can’t believe something like that exists.

I wonder how difficult it would be to get something like that on VGS? I get that GameTZ already exists, but it’s not about the tool, it’s about the community using it. Would be much harder to get everyone here using GameTZ than the bring a tool similar to it over here for all the existing users

Edited by phart010

Administrator · Posted
9 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Gloves, how much money would you estimate a feature like this would cost to code?

FYI you can tag people with an "@" symbol - @phart010 Like that! That sends the person a notification that you've called to them.

As for cost to code, we do have some features in mind that I think the community will really love for commerce style stuff (ebay-like). 

Frankly, what you've described would require a complete database of games to create the selection criteria you mentioned, and that's not something we're looking to do juuuuust yet. Potentially down the road. 

For the short term, I don't see why we can't simply use a "WTB" list (see the BST forum) and carry on similarly to before where we can say "I have my list of wants over here". VGS has a very easy to use copy-paste-from-google-sheets feature that will let you manage your want list in a Google Sheet (great cuz now you're not tied to our platform, if we die tomorrow your data isn't lost, it's always in your hands) and just paste the updated list straight into your thread.

Administrator · Posted
Just now, ookii_risu said:

Love the idea for the future.

In the meantime, I also like that you can copy and paste a google sheet in your post. Good to know!

Try it on lots of stuff, you may be surprised by just how many different things you can actually legit just copy-paste onto the site.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gloves said:

FYI you can tag people with an "@" symbol - @phart010 Like that! That sends the person a notification that you've called to them.

As for cost to code, we do have some features in mind that I think the community will really love for commerce style stuff (ebay-like). 

Frankly, what you've described would require a complete database of games to create the selection criteria you mentioned, and that's not something we're looking to do juuuuust yet. Potentially down the road. 

For the short term, I don't see why we can't simply use a "WTB" list (see the BST forum) and carry on similarly to before where we can say "I have my list of wants over here". VGS has a very easy to use copy-paste-from-google-sheets feature that will let you manage your want list in a Google Sheet (great cuz now you're not tied to our platform, if we die tomorrow your data isn't lost, it's always in your hands) and just paste the updated list straight into your thread.

I hear you. Will try out the google sheets idea.

But the main reason I didn’t have much trading activity on NA was the time it took to scan through everyone’s trade list. Then if I were ever fortunate enough to find something I was looking for it would be very rare that the other person wanted something I had. The exercise gets old after a while. Automating the process some may turn out to be be a huge winner.

If you ever reconsider I’d be willing to start putting a database together in whatever format you like. I’m sure others would volunteer also. And a trading tool wouldn’t need to be a final release on day one. It could be NES only to start testing (or gauge interest) and then you could drop games for other systems into the database in phases if it looks like a popular feature.

I will test out GameTZ in the meantime to see how good the experience is

Edited by phart010

Just wanted to say that I have been playing around with Game trade zone for the past several days now and have completed my first trade today. The experience is excellent. No need to reinvent the wheel. 

I just wish there was a way to bring the platform over here to VGS so that we would have 100% participation with our fabulous community.

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, phart010 said:

Just wanted to say that I have been playing around with Game trade zone for the past several days now and have completed my first trade today. The experience is excellent. No need to reinvent the wheel. 

I just wish there was a way to bring the platform over here to VGS so that we would have 100% participation with our fabulous community.

I'll go sign up over there to see what it's like.

We do have some plans for stuff on here but frankly I'm taking a bit of a break to do some paid work. I need to keep my job so I can survive. T_T

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I'll go sign up over there to see what it's like.

We do have some plans for stuff on here but frankly I'm taking a bit of a break to do some paid work. I need to keep my job so I can survive. T_T

Keep doing your thing Gloves. You’re doing an awesome job

• Thanks 1