IGNORED

How to spot repros.

• For expensive games that you are unsure about, ask for board pics. Many legitimate sellers will take a picture of the pcb which will be a legitimate nintendo board with mask roms. The mask roms will typically the same product code as the label engraved on it. Ceramic chips with clear windows are indicators of illegitimate games in most cases.
  • Labels will typically be miscut
  • Labels can sometimes be blury or have messed up coloring
  • Sometimes the label will say 'reproduction'
  • Many repro SNES cartridges will have plastic gray "screws" but the shell is just a clamshell that clips together
  • If the deal is too good to be true, then it is. It's fine to be skeptical.

2 minutes ago, SNESNESCUBE64 said:
  • For expensive games that you are unsure about, ask for board pics. Many legitimate sellers will take a picture of the pcb which will be a legitimate nintendo board with mask roms. The mask roms will typically the same product code as the label engraved on it. Ceramic chips with clear windows are indicators of illegitimate games in most cases.
  • Labels will typically be miscut
  • Labels can sometimes be blury or have messed up coloring
  • Sometimes the label will say 'reproduction'
  • Many repro SNES cartridges will have plastic gray "screws" but the shell is just a clamshell that clips together
  • If the deal is too good to be true, then it is. It's fine to be skeptical.

Don't authentic SNES cartridges have screws that kind of look like stars?

Check seller feedback and have a gauge on how experienced the seller has of selling mint games. Many past sales of mint items with good feedback is usually a good sign that the seller has authentic stuff. Sellers with low feedback or a lot of past negative feedback, then be more cautious of dodgy selling practices.

On 1/3/2024 at 4:03 AM, fcgamer said:

Don't buy mint...

I hate to say it but it's one of the things I look for when buying CIB. Unless I'm going to send it off to get graded, I won't buy dead mint games online. I always look and settle for some wear on the items.

Edited by RegularGuyGamer
  • Agree 1

On 1/6/2024 at 6:07 AM, GPX said:

Check seller feedback and have a gauge on how experienced the seller has of selling mint games. Many past sales of mint items with good feedback is usually a good sign that the seller has authentic stuff. Sellers with low feedback or a lot of past negative feedback, then be more cautious of dodgy selling practices.

Read Amazon reviews?

On 1/10/2024 at 11:41 AM, CastletonSnob said:

Read Amazon reviews?

I wasn’t trying to be funny in my previous post. To figure out repro vs authenticity, you basically need to be a detective nowadays. It’s not as simple as just looking at one factor. You gotta look at all the clues at the contents of the item in question, as well as a gauge on the experience and trustworthiness of the seller. The more you factor things in, the less chance a scam can occur.

On 1/12/2024 at 7:09 AM, GPX said:

I wasn’t trying to be funny in my previous post. To figure out repro vs authenticity, you basically need to be a detective nowadays. It’s not as simple as just looking at one factor. You gotta look at all the clues at the contents of the item in question, as well as a gauge on the experience and trustworthiness of the seller. The more you factor things in, the less chance a scam can occur.

Don't feel too bad for not being able to tell an authentic game from a repro right away?

On 1/17/2024 at 10:33 AM, CastletonSnob said:

Don't feel too bad for not being able to tell an authentic game from a repro right away?

Are you coming here seeking tips or wanting to troll people who’s giving you the tips?

• Agree 2