IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 662/677

It was less difficult but more tedious than I remember, but I finished off Best of the Best Championship Karate.  I kinda remembered all you really needed to do is low kicks mixed with high kicks, but all the training I forgot about, yeesh.  Also You dont need to defeat the Kumite because you get the credits when you beat the champion Cogneur.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

It was less difficult but more tedious than I remember, but I finished off Best of the Best Championship Karate.  I kinda remembered all you really needed to do is low kicks mixed with high kicks, but all the training I forgot about, yeesh.  Also You dont need to defeat the Kumite because you get the credits when you beat the champion Cogneur.

Yeah, when we did it for the weekly contest in 2022, I made it a point to finish it off.  Surprisingly an okay game once you figure out how it all works, but it's far longer and more tedious than it really needs to be. 

• Agree 1

Just out of curiosity, what are the conditions for "beating" Silent Service? I'm assuming getting the high score on a War Patrol mission, which is how I counted it on my personal list, but it's not listed on either the Pastebin file or AdamL's endings guide so I wanted to make sure of my aims before firing it up.

Wizardry is done. This game is sweet. I put it off my entire life because I thought it was too archaic, but those PLATO D&D nerds were making interesting CRPGs before most genres even existed. With a little less dumbass Murphy's Ghost grinding and a little less instant permadeath, I'd recommend it to almost anyone. You get a lot of powerful spells pretty early on. It actually has nice progression and you don't feel like a chump half the game. It's my favorite NES RPG I've played so far.

uqqWzD5.png

Also yes I teleported out with the amulet to beat the game, but the WERDNA kill shot (with every party member alive baby) is so much sweeter.

h8WBMft.jpg

Here's some maps. I like seeing people's maps.

• Like 4
  • Wow! 2

10 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Just out of curiosity, what are the conditions for "beating" Silent Service? I'm assuming getting the high score on a War Patrol mission, which is how I counted it on my personal list, but it's not listed on either the Pastebin file or AdamL's endings guide so I wanted to make sure of my aims before firing it up.

It was written somewhere previously. I think it was beating all of the short missions and getting the high score on one of the long missions. And that is something like sinking 45,000 tons worth of enemy ships.

12 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Wizardry is done. This game is sweet. I put it off my entire life because I thought it was too archaic, but those PLATO D&D nerds were making interesting CRPGs before most genres even existed. With a little less dumbass Murphy's Ghost grinding and a little less instant permadeath, I'd recommend it to almost anyone. You get a lot of powerful spells pretty early on. It actually has nice progression and you don't feel like a chump half the game. It's my favorite NES RPG I've played so far.

uqqWzD5.png

Also yes I teleported out with the amulet to beat the game, but the WERDNA kill shot (with every party member alive baby) is so much sweeter.

h8WBMft.jpg

Here's some maps. I like seeing people's maps.

One trick to make the fight easier is to use the Haman spell in the boss fight.  It costs your Mage a level, but one of the options (the one you want) blocks all enemy magic.  This is even more relevant against the KODs Gauntlets in Wizardry 2, because they can hit you with a double Tiltowait every round and are stupid tough.  But with good RNG you only need to grind enough levels to get the Malor spell in order to beat it.  And in Wizardry I, technically you don't even need to go that high, as Haman is a 5th or 6th level spell.  NOTE: don't use the Mahaman spell for this purpose.  While the effect is possible with it, it's one of 7 possibilities, while there's only 5 with Haman.  And since you get to choose from 3 effects, the odds of it being one of the three is better on the weaker spell.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

If the convoys are required, I'll probably just skip it.  I like the game, but not enough to want to do that much grinding lol

C'mon, those don't take more than 30-60 minutes combined when you know what you're doing.

Also, Power Blade is done.

9 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

One trick to make the fight easier is to use the Haman spell in the boss fight.  It costs your Mage a level, but one of the options (the one you want) blocks all enemy magic.  This is even more relevant against the KODs Gauntlets in Wizardry 2, because they can hit you with a double Tiltowait every round and are stupid tough.  But with good RNG you only need to grind enough levels to get the Malor spell in order to beat it.  And in Wizardry I, technically you don't even need to go that high, as Haman is a 5th or 6th level spell.  NOTE: don't use the Mahaman spell for this purpose.  While the effect is possible with it, it's one of 7 possibilities, while there's only 5 with Haman.  And since you get to choose from 3 effects, the odds of it being one of the three is better on the weaker spell.

The only reason I lived through Werdna was Mahaman resurrecting my entire party at the opportune moment (although silencing him would sure work). I gotta look into this for KOD though.

• Like 1

Just now, DefaultGen said:

The only reason I lived through Werdna was Mahaman resurrecting my entire party at the opportune moment (although silencing him would sure work). I gotta look into this for KOD though.

I've all but mastered KOD.  It's one of my personal favorites.  If it goes unbeaten I'll probably do it, but I like leaving them for people that haven't played it yet.

But yeah, the Malor spell is mandatory, as it's the only way to get to the Gauntlets.  They function as the key to the door to fight them (and the stairs to level 6 is right behind that fight).  Once they're silenced though, they almost never use a physical attack against you, so it's just a matter of attrition at that point.  Any other pointers you need, feel free to ask.

I got about half way in Ikari Warriors 3 and it glitched out.  I hope its not some weirdness with the AVS because thats never happened before.

Instead of redoing it, I finished Uninvited.  I cheated and used a walkthru haha.  I forgot its a game where you have to slap a girl.  Interesting title.

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I've all but mastered KOD.  It's one of my personal favorites.  If it goes unbeaten I'll probably do it, but I like leaving them for people that haven't played it yet.

But yeah, the Malor spell is mandatory, as it's the only way to get to the Gauntlets.  They function as the key to the door to fight them (and the stairs to level 6 is right behind that fight).  Once they're silenced though, they almost never use a physical attack against you, so it's just a matter of attrition at that point.  Any other pointers you need, feel free to ask.

What's a good party makeup? I went Fighter, Fighter, Cleric, Thief, Wizard, Mage. It seemed fine except the Wizard really seemed the worst of both worlds. I was thinking of rolling the same swapping out the Wizard for another Mage. Clerics are kinda badass too, maybe two Clerics instead of two Fighters?

Edited by DefaultGen

2 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

What's a good party makeup? I went Fighter, Fighter, Cleric, Thief, Wizard, Mage. It seemed fine except the Wizard really seemed the worst of both worlds. I was thinking of rolling the same swapping out the Wizard for another Mage.

I usually run with that makeup.  A samurai instead of a fighter if I get a good roll.  If you find the Armor of Lord's, invoke it on one of the fighters to turn him into a Lord.  Same with the Dagger of Thieves on your thief to get a Ninja.  They're not necessary, but if you can get one early on (first couple levels) you should be able to recover from the statistic reset, otherwise use the gear to get them.  You can swap the Wizard for another Mage if you'd like, but I would still keep a Wizard for identifying purposes.  It's actually not a bad utility option in the party though, as having extra Katino and Montino castings is always good, especially early on.

• Like 1