IGNORED

Is the title page really needed?

Gamegearguy

When it was first introduced, I brought up a similar point. Because to me it would have been more fun to see a video game forum that has a "start" and "continue" option on the opening page. That way people who are looking for a particular theme or topic could press "continue" and be shown results of what they are looking for.

Kind of like how the old Famicom/NES games required passwords to be where they had left off. But I also had decided to drop the thought because I ended up feeling like my opinion was deemed "offensive" back then. 😅

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, Gamegearguy said:

I accidentally click on Home a lot and it sends me to the main page and it's useless. Why isn't the forums page the main page? Or am I just being weird?

The VGS logo which is much larger takes you to the forum. It's the "Main" page, as it were, but we need an introductory page for people new to the site, and that is the "Home" page. This is common practice. It's not "useless", it's just not for you. If you accidentally click on something and are taken to a place that's not relevant to you, that's really on you, not the software.

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

Apparently there are other functions to this website other than a forum. People jumped on me last time I asked why.

There's a weblog and some other things.

Nobody "jumped on you".

9 minutes ago, YOURTURN said:

When it was first introduced, I brought up a similar point. Because to me it would have been more fun to see a video game forum that has a "start" and "continue" option on the opening page. That way people who are looking for a particular theme or topic could press "continue" and be shown results of what they are looking for.

Kind of like how the old Famicom/NES games required passwords to be where they had left off. But I also had decided to drop the thought because I ended up feeling like my opinion was deemed "offensive" back then. 😅

I have no clue how you come to the conclusion that anyone at all thinks your opinion on how a page on a website could look is "offensive". 

• Agree 2

Rehash the old SomethingAwful .com forum joke “There’s a front page?” 

Yeah, you’re just being weird. 🤷‍♀️ Yes, there is still a need for this. It’s sensible, and it’s really good looking, and it’s welcoming, and it provides clear navigation, thanks to some great design and great illustration by the staff. It’s also a good landing for new people who may be interested in seeing what’s going on in the gaming scene, which would help us by bringing in more people. Be they programmers, publishers, artists, journalists, fans, sellers, etc. 

There are a lot of people here with a lot of different interests, and this type of community needs that diversity and as many people as possible to survive, especially in this day and age where focused forum sites have largely been displaced by general-interest venues such as FB, IG, the website formerly known as Twitter, etc. 

I would hope somebody who uses the blog function of this site so frequently can understand that. Otherwise why not just write it in your own journal, for yourself?

If you don’t care to see the front page, set up a bookmark or favorite in your browser. Use the stream function. There are so many options available. 

11 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I have no clue how you come to the conclusion that anyone at all thinks your opinion on how a page on a website could look is "offensive". 

That's because in all fairness I'd rather deal with a "We worked hard on this." vibe than what I received from others when I had made suggestions to them. With me getting a response to why a 'anxiety system' would work being the site admin showing that he cared more about himself than the forum, the moderators who were doing their job, and its owner. 😅

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, YOURTURN said:

That's because in all fairness I'd rather deal with a "We worked hard on this." vibe than what I received from others when I had made suggestions to them. With me getting a response to why a 'anxiety system' would work being the site admin showing that he cared more about himself than the forum, the moderators who were doing their job, and its owner. 😅

Everyone should care about themselves more than the forum. This is just a forum, at the end of the day. Just like NintendoAge before it, it's entirely replaceable, technically. That said I honestly don't know what you're talking about - I know that all of the admins and staff in general care pretty deeply about the site and community.

On 11/10/2023 at 8:22 PM, Gloves said:

Everyone should care about themselves more than the forum. This is just a forum, at the end of the day. Just like NintendoAge before it, it's entirely replaceable, technically. That said I honestly don't know what you're talking about - I know that all of the admins and staff in general care pretty deeply about the site and community.

Sorry for not making that clear. What I was talking about happened at a well known Transformers fan forum in 2012. It's one of those sites that have me appreciate you guys. And one that had me notice actual changes during my last visit in 2021.

In the end all I can say is that I am glad they had wised up, but my brief time at NintendoAge was still saner than my brief return to that forum. 😅