IGNORED

The Quintessential Game for Each Genre

T-Pac

On 11/7/2023 at 10:41 PM, Gloves said:

Soulsbourne encompasses technically 3 "series", as it were - Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodbourne. If we need to ask how Elden Ring fits into some new name, I think we need to include Sekiro too.

RingBourne SekSouls.

Not quite catchy enough. I propose

BoRing SekS

• Haha 2

Ok... so not my favorites... not the best... but a game that epitomizes the genre and doesn't have too many features that deviate from the standard...

Puzzle: Sakoban (Sort of like the more bare-bones predecessor to Lolo)

Fighting: Street Fighter 2

Shootem-up: 1942 (early titles like space invaders are a bit too far removed from what the genre BECAME)

Beatem-up: Kung-fu (also considered Simpsons or Double Dragon)

Maze: Ms. Pac-man (I considered Wizard of Wor, Ralley X, but those all have extra gimmicks)

Run n' Gun: Cuphead

Graphics Team · Posted
On 11/13/2023 at 8:40 PM, G-type said:

Ok... so not my favorites... not the best... but a game that epitomizes the genre and doesn't have too many features that deviate from the standard...

Puzzle: Sakoban (Sort of like the more bare-bones predecessor to Lolo)

Fighting: Street Fighter 2

Shootem-up: 1942 (early titles like space invaders are a bit too far removed from what the genre BECAME)

Beatem-up: Kung-fu (also considered Simpsons or Double Dragon)

Maze: Ms. Pac-man (I considered Wizard of Wor, Ralley X, but those all have extra gimmicks)

Run n' Gun: Cuphead

Solid choices! Cuphead caught me off-guard but that seems like an excellent showcase for run 'n guns.

You've got me thinking with Sokoban and Kung-Fu, though. I wonder if those might be a step too far back since they don't have certain key elements that came to be genre staples (like item collection in action puzzlers and foreground/midground/background navigation in brawlers). But that starts to beg the question of what is "standard" in these games anyway haha.

Fun to think about in any case - and you're making me consider editing my own answers.

[T-Pac]

• Like 1