IGNORED

Five Nights at Freddy's

G-type

I took my youngest kid to see Five Nights at Freddy's tonight. He was absolutely obsessed with FNAF for about 3 years...it seems like he's finally moved on from it, but he's still a fan. We both liked the movie. (didn't love it). I give it a solid B. It's not as scary as the game, but it does a good job of translating the story and the setting and animatronics all look great. Even had a few fanservice easter eggs that got a big reaction at our screening.

One cool thing that the Alamo did for this was during the preshow, they showed a compilation of 80s commercials for pizzerias featuring animatronics (Showbiz, Chuck E Cheese, plus some lesser known places), as well as home video of various animatronic shows from theme parks, pizzerias, and malls.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
Just now, G-type said:

One cool thing that the Alamo did for this was during the preshow, they showed a compilation of 80s commercials for pizzerias featuring animatronics (Showbiz, Chuck E Cheese, plus some lesser known places), as well as home video of various animatronic shows from theme parks, pizzerias, and malls.

I suppose they made it such a memorable event from the outset that you'll always... remember the Alamo.

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

I'm taking the kid and his buddies to see it tomorrow.  He's obsessed at the moment.  We made a Springtrap Halloween costume.  All his friends are also going trick-or-treating together as different FNAF characters.

MF3jLM5.jpg

Bro you MADE that!?!?

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted

I have to say it's super weird that kids are so into FNAF. Like I get the why of it (popular YouTubers), but it's super odd to me to see a horror game series be SO popular with kids of that age. It's also super cool IMO to me, mind you, not hating at all, I love horror even if FNAF itself isn't my jam its a cool concept. 

There's significant overlap between this and Care Bears and the like, just a total tonal switch. Suddenly horror characters have marketing appeal, plush dolls and the like for kids. It's really interesting to see. 

Editorials Team · Posted
9 hours ago, Gloves said:

I have to say it's super weird that kids are so into FNAF. Like I get the why of it (popular YouTubers), but it's super odd to me to see a horror game series be SO popular with kids of that age. It's also super cool IMO to me, mind you, not hating at all, I love horror even if FNAF itself isn't my jam its a cool concept. 

There's significant overlap between this and Care Bears and the like, just a total tonal switch. Suddenly horror characters have marketing appeal, plush dolls and the like for kids. It's really interesting to see. 

My kids have never played any of them, but the playground is a viral breeding ground for FNAF, Slender Man, Siren Head, Choo Choo Charlie, and all the other shit I constantly hear about.

Administrator · Posted
14 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

My kids have never played any of them, but the playground is a viral breeding ground for FNAF, Slender Man, Siren Head, Choo Choo Charlie, and all the other shit I constantly hear about.

I'm sending thoughts and prayers, brother. 

23 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Also Poppy's Playtime, Baldi's Basics, and Bendy and Ink Machine

Review in more detail. Not really spoilers, but put it in a spoiler box just in case you don't want to read any details. Now that I've had a little more time to think about, the bad probably outweighs the good, so I'm dropping my rating from a B to a C+

Spoiler

The Good:

The Cast: Josh Hutcherson and Matthew Lillard were both very good, as was the young girl. The cop lady was ok... I don't have any issues with her performance, just the writing of her character. All the kill-fodder characters are a little hammy, but its fine... we're supposed to not really care about them I guess?

Production design: Looked great! The pizzeria set and the animatronics were all fantastic.

The ending to the movie is straight out of The Silver Eyes FNAF novel & graphic novel and I think it works pretty well. Definitely sets them up for sequels.

The Bad:

The pacing. This movie felt long. The length was one of the things my kid commented on as we were leaving. I admit I checked the time once to see how much longer it would be. The blame for this partly lies on the editor, but also the script.

The writing. The script had a lot of problems that could have been easily fixed. We are shown multiple flashback/dream sequences of Mike's traumatic backstory when his younger brother was kidnapped. (the same scene repeated) and THEN we get a conversation between Mike and Vanessa where we get to hear him tell her the story one more time. Also, why did it have to be on some random camping trip? Could have had it happen at the pizzeria or somewhere related.

We are shown multiple times characters trying escape through a locked emergency exit and being caught by Foxy.. This isn't some rule of 3 thing that is going to pay-off later... they just keep doing the same stuff over and over.

Mike likes to sleep a lot (he's hoping to learn some new detail buried in his memories about his brother's kidnapping)... the problem is the security shift are supposed to be the scary part of FNAF... sleeping through the shift kind of defeats the point. Also undercutting the scariness is the movie giving away the lore too early on... You need to keep it mysterious for a while. The animatronics are only scary if you don't know what their deal is. If you immediately reveal they're ghost kids... oh and they're actually friendly, it kind of undercuts the tension.

Vanessa the Cop showing up out of the blue and being super interested in the Freddy Fazbear pizzaria (and Mike) right off the bat seemed weird and forced. They give an explanation to justify it much later, but it could have easily been changed from her being a cop to her being a technician who stops by to do repair work. That would have made a lot more sense and still fit in with everything that came later.

Misc:

• A couple of youtubers prominent in the FNAF community make cameos: Matpat is a waiter at a diner (when he drops his "it's just a theory" catchphrase, its a little cringey although my theatre audience loved it) and CoryXkenshin plays a cab driver. There's a few others that can supposedly be seen on the employee of the month board, but I didn't notice them.

Edited by G-type
  • Agree 1