IGNORED

Random Science Thread

In my kids National Parks unit they just finished studying through, we all just learned that this is an actual animal--the Pika.

I guess it's pronounced "PIKEuh", but we still call it a "Peekuh".  Also, because of it's ears it looks like a rodent but it's actually more closely related to rabbits and hairs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RH said:

In my kids National Parks unit they just finished studying through, we all just learned that this is an actual animal--the Pika.

I guess it's pronounced "PIKEuh", but we still call it a "Peekuh".  Also, because of it's ears it looks like a rodent but it's actually more closely related to rabbits and hairs.

I ran into a ton of these while hiking in the Grand Tetons years ago. They are cute 🙂

Graphics Team · Posted

I was just reading about micrometeorites in space and thought it was scary but fascinating.

I'd never considered how the lack of atmosphere up on the moon could turn a tiny grain of sand into essentially a bullet hurtling through space. Luckily, I don't think a spacesuit has ever been punctured by one, but it's still a nerve-racking thought.

And looking further into it, I learned that dust on the moon is like tiny shards of glass since there's no erosion to smooth them down.

It's hostile up there. But so cool at the same time.

[T-Pac]

• Like 1

4 hours ago, T-Pac said:

I was just reading about micrometeorites in space and thought it was scary but fascinating.

I'd never considered how the lack of atmosphere up on the moon could turn a tiny grain of sand into essentially a bullet hurtling through space. Luckily, I don't think a spacesuit has ever been punctured by one, but it's still a nerve-racking thought.

And looking further into it, I learned that dust on the moon is like tiny shards of glass since there's no erosion to smooth them down.

It's hostile up there. But so cool at the same time.

[T-Pac]

Super awesome stuff!

I've done some some work on high-velocity collisions, although the objects I was studying are far larger than micrometeorites -- that said, the physics is much the same when it comes to the actual impact! These are called hypervelocity impacts, and they do indeed move like bullets

https://www.esa.int/Enabling_Support/Operations/What_are_hypervelocity_impacts

Ray Bradbury had a gruesome story about an astronaut who was hit my micrometeorites -- I don't remember the name of the story but I'm pretty sure it's in the Martian Chronicles.

Moon dust is really interesting, and what really sets it apart from "normal" dust here on Earth is that Moon dust is charged. Because of this electrostatic buildup it sticks to things, such as spacesuits, rovers, etc. which makes it quite a challenge to deal with!

• Like 1

On 10/4/2023 at 4:09 PM, G-type said:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2022/10/14/1128875298/brain-cells-neurons-learn-video-game-pong

The brain cells in the petri dish learned to play Pong in about 5 minutes.

FUUUUUCK.

Hello Terminator. 😎👍

Edited by AirVillain
Wrong Terminator reference... T-1000 is coming soon I guess.

On 9/28/2023 at 6:58 PM, Tabonga said:

It is kinda neat that creatures thought long gone really aren't.

This one looks like a junior killer shrew  (fifties movie reference).

https://news.yahoo.com/farmer-protecting-chickens-captures-creature-175046382.html 

Gone from the area. Est 14,000 remaining, just “locally extinct”. That’s a pretty small number but not “unseen in a century” as the article treads close to implying. 

Also, this: “Inside the coup, Tsai found a spotted creature and a dead chicken, he said.” AI editing or Brit spelling?

9 minutes ago, Link said:

Gone from the area. Est 14,000 remaining, just “locally extinct”. That’s a pretty small number but not “unseen in a century” as the article treads close to implying. 

Also, this: “Inside the coup, Tsai found a spotted creature and a dead chicken, he said.” AI editing or Brit spelling?

The spotted creature was the central figure in a complex set of machinations to overthrow the farmer and install a version of Animal Farm.....

• Haha 1