IGNORED

Game Boy Pocket Silver

3rdStrongestMole

22 hours ago, Splain said:

Here's a comp: https://www.ebay.com/itm/155720508628

Might be more, I just searched "silver game boy pocket case"

Look in all 4 corners of the case, there's a plastic nub sticking up. That's distorting the O and it's normal.

Ah, perfect.  Don't know how I didn't spot that one. And also, good to know on the corner thing. That clears everything up for me. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

This was the exact release I first purchased back in 1996. Of course I trashed mine as a kid does, but years ago I decided to re-buy and had a hard time finding one in good condition. I ended up paying $50-$75, they are not as easy to come by as one would think!

Edited by portabello
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, portabello said:

This was the exact release I first purchased back in 1996. Of course I trashed mine as a kid does, but years ago I decided to re-buy and had a hard time finding one in good condition. I ended up paying $50-$75, they are not as easy to come by as one would think!

I had one too but as a teenager, and as a kid who took care of his stuff, I treated it well.  I also didn't use it much for long because once the GBC came out, I upgraded then too. I don't know how long that time span was but I didn't use this unit for more than a couple of years.

But even with my care and keeping my device in an old GB hard shell case on my shelf, I seem to recall that metallic paint was super-easy to scuff.  It's a minor detail for Nintendo to have cared about since it doesn't affect gameplay, but I feel that pseudo-anodized metallic look from the 90s might have been cool but wore off with almost any amount of normal game use.  That said, I can see why finding a mint unit could be tough to find.

On 10/18/2023 at 7:34 AM, RH said:

I had one too but as a teenager, and as a kid who took care of his stuff, I treated it well.  I also didn't use it much for long because once the GBC came out, I upgraded then too. I don't know how long that time span was but I didn't use this unit for more than a couple of years.

But even with my care and keeping my device in an old GB hard shell case on my shelf, I seem to recall that metallic paint was super-easy to scuff.  It's a minor detail for Nintendo to have cared about since it doesn't affect gameplay, but I feel that pseudo-anodized metallic look from the 90s might have been cool but wore off with almost any amount of normal game use.  That said, I can see why finding a mint unit could be tough to find.

The one I saw was at a local shop,  and was overpriced compared to that Ebay copy,  at least.  The condition was probably comparable, though I never took it out of the box to examine it. I guess if I could talk the guy down to 150 it could be worth it. Just loved the look of it in the clear box, tbh.

• Agree 1