IGNORED

Nintendo arcade stick

Mario_Friend1982

2 hours ago, Mario_Friend1982 said:

Both.

Nintendo's library is way too varied in control schemes for an arcade stick to work for all but a handful. You need a d-pad or a N64 thumbstick for a ton of them. Heck, the Wii motion control games would be useless.

42 minutes ago, fox said:

When AI start making topics on VGS 🙄

That would explain a lot. 😛

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

Nintendo's library is way too varied in control schemes for an arcade stick to work for all but a handful. You need a d-pad or a N64 thumbstick for a ton of them. Heck, the Wii motion control games would be useless.

To be fair, an arcade stick can do the same job as a D-pad or thumb stick. It might not be the ideal form factor for some peoples' taste, but it can execute the basic job.

Now would Nintendo do this? Absolutely not. First off, they don't do jackall for the hardware of previous generations. Even if they did, it would be for a successful console, not something like Wii U. Secondly, they are very specific with what types of controllers they'll put out, and niche styles are only their thing if it serves a specific IP. Even then, it's usually just a palette swap. If they do something outside of their general controller, it's something like a Donkey Konga bongo or it's a repro of a classic controller for a current product.

Arcade panels for consoles are both general use (fitting many games of many types) and too narrow an audience for Nintendo to make. 

They have always left this sort of thing to third parties. They do things like Motion+ or dogbone or Wavebird. This is a job that somebody like Twinbee or PowerA would do. And again, even that would happen for a current console, not Wii U. Now for something like this, and specifically for Wii U (WHY????) you couldn't expect that from anyone but a company like RetroBit or HyperKin, or some new unknown team doing a Kickstarter.

15 hours ago, Link said:

To be fair, an arcade stick can do the same job as a D-pad or thumb stick. It might not be the ideal form factor for some peoples' taste, but it can execute the basic job.

To a degree, I guess, but some of the more precise platforming games would be really tough without a d-pad. I'm reminded of when Metroid was advertised with the Advantage, and kept thinking "How the heck do you pull off the escape sequence with that thing?" I guess some could, but that takes a really light touch on the stick.

I also think some games are set up for certain button layouts for certain controllers.

I can't see a one-size-fits-all working for all Nintendo games.

• Agree 1