IGNORED

Question for people who are into collecting full region sets (Vita specific discussion, but any knowledge applies)

2 hours ago, EdV said:

Everyone's full set is different.... Some people don't consider ESRB Invizimals or Epic Mickey as part of the Vita N American or even region 1 set. I believe every ESRB game is required for a full set. I personally would consider my Vita collection as obsolete if I didn't have 1001 Spikes, VVVVVV, The Binding of Isaac and Revenge of the Bird King. When I first lost out on the Nicalis 3 I was going to sell my collection. Thankfully I ended up with all of them. They truly are my prized possessions!

Screenshot_20230114_125001_Gallery.jpg

Not sure if you’re doing other regions but if you are do you have the Australian release of Gal Gun Double Peace? It was meant to go on the shelves but they thought it was too sexual so only honoured pre orders and destroyed the rest.

https://nichegamer.com/eb-games-australia-pulls-galgun/

26 minutes ago, Brickman said:

A thread I started that you may be interested in reading

It has a list of all the LRG/EastAsia soft games.

Also @Mr. CIB posted a list in that thread of the full Vita set but you’d have to double check with him if it was 100% accurate as I wouldn’t know (I’m a Japanese Vita collector).

The only game I omitted was Revenge of Bird King which I think is a similar position to the 3 Nicalis releases, otherwise our list match 100 percent so that's probably reassuring 😄

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, goldenpp72 said:

The only game I omitted was Revenge of Bird King which I think is a similar position to the 3 Nicalis releases, otherwise our list match 100 percent so that's probably reassuring 😄

That's good to hear and if you already have 300 it looks like you might as well go for them all minus the 3 Nicalis games. According to MR CIB list (which matches yours) there are 318 and if you're taking out Revenge of the Bird King that makes 317 so only 17 to go!

I didn't realise the US set was so small. The Japanese set is 834 titles, it was really successful there but unfortunately near the end they padded it out with a bit too many VNs haha. I like VNs but I think they went a little too crazy on the Vita (probably due to how cheap they are to make). Fortunately the Japanese Vita is suuuuper cheap to collect for. I so far haven't paid over around $10-12 for a game with the majority being around $6-8. I'll be happy if I can get the full CIB set for around $8-9k.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brickman said:

That's good to hear and if you already have 300 it looks like you might as well go for them all minus the 3 Nicalis games. According to MR CIB list (which matches yours) there are 318 and if you're taking out Revenge of the Bird King that makes 317 so only 17 to go!

I didn't realise the US set was so small. The Japanese set is 834 titles, it was really successful there but unfortunately near the end they padded it out with a bit too many VNs haha. I like VNs but I think they went a little too crazy on the Vita (probably due to how cheap they are to make). Fortunately the Japanese Vita is suuuuper cheap to collect for. I so far haven't paid over around $10-12 for a game with the majority being around $6-8. I'll be happy if I can get the full CIB set for around $8-9k.

I think I'm teetering on avoiding the rest because I fear my impulse would then push me to pursue the other 4 even if I add a qualifier. Since I don't typically do full sets outside of very small collections (see Virtual Boy, Pico, etc) it isn't something that kills me too much, I was just surprised that I got this far, I expected to see that I was missing 100-200 games and just was making sure I didn't want any of them lol. I decided to throw on one game, but Invizimals is also a bit pricey to get the ESRB version due to not releasing natively in North America and I don't particularly want that either. 

For now I am operating that if they ever do a real release of the 4 'not really released but they exist' games, I'd probably then go chip off the other 17 just to say hey, neat, but otherwise it's all stuff I'd not really want to represent anyways. I suppose this concept is becoming pretty hazy these days, like for me I don't consider unlicensed non retail releases of NES games part of a US retail set, but the definition of retail is becoming a bit more complex with stuff like LRG and what have you becoming so prominent.

I used to collect every LRG release, but I have since started reducing those purchases to the standard of the rest of my collection, that being only buy the ones I care to have, but since I have all the VIta ones aside I suppose the one they didn't release, that's neat I guess 😛

I also don't like visual novels, but my fiancee is really keen on anime stuff and she owns about 50 of the games that are within my 302 game set, a lot of times her different taste result in representing consoles a bit more to their nature. Such as the more casual Wii and DS releases, she probably owns a solid 1/3 of the lineup for each of those and it's all stuff I'd never touch with a 100 foot poll.

Edited by goldenpp72
  • Like 1

Retail releases are a full set. If you cant walk into the store, or log onto a computer and add the game, not the pre production, to your cart, it's not a retail releases. 

Just bc a company got a game rated doesn't mean it was a retail production run.  It's silly to think that a game that gets approved for a rating and then gets scraped counts to a retail set.

If you just want all the games ever produced for a console, that's a different story and people do that all the time but that's not a people historically meant when saying they're going for a "full set".

I think the former is a better example of a complete set of releases not a full set of retail releases. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Retail releases are a full set. If you cant walk into the store, or log onto a computer and add the game, not the pre production, to your cart, it's not a retail releases. 

Just bc a company got a game rated doesn't mean it was a retail production run.  It's silly to think that a game that gets approved for a rating and then gets scraped counts to a retail set.

If you just want all the games ever produced for a console, that's a different story and people do that all the time but that's not a people historically meant when saying they're going for a "full set".

I think the former is a better example of a complete set of releases not a full set of retail releases. 

Exactly.  The full set, is everything that was produced and actually released to the public, so having all of those would give someone the full set of whatever they're collecting.  However, if they also got all pre-production releases, cancelled releases, etc., they would have "everything."  I wouldn't even classify those as a "set," as if you're allowing anything and everything under the sun, then that definition is always in flux since new unknowns turn up all the time, whereas a "full set" should be pretty much set in stone the moment both the first and last commercially produced, publicly available, retail released items are out the door.

One caveat I could make would be to allow for a slight difference in definition of "full" and "complete" sets, such as a "full" set would consist of one of every entry produced, while a "complete" set might also include all chase variants, publisher released special editions (note that this would still shut down places such as LRG), etc.  I don't know of any system where a requirement for a "full" set demands not only the regular retail copy of something, but also the limited edition, collector's edition, and any/all art/label variants as well.  However, "complete" would seem to be an appropriate term for that sort of collecting, as it still has a list of items that's concrete as soon as all items have been officially released and made available to the public.  Most people would go for "full" sets, many fewer "complete" sets, and only those with truly cavernous pockets would try for "everything," since many items would likely end up being so low in number as to be prohibitively expensive, if not unique.

6 hours ago, EdV said:

Everyone's full set is different.... Some people don't consider ESRB Invizimals or Epic Mickey as part of the Vita N American or even region 1 set. I believe every ESRB game is required for a full set. I personally would consider my Vita collection as obsolete if I didn't have 1001 Spikes, VVVVVV, The Binding of Isaac and Revenge of the Bird King. When I first lost out on the Nicalis 3 I was going to sell my collection. Thankfully I ended up with all of them. They truly are my prized possessions!

Screenshot_20230114_125001_Gallery.jpg

What's the story with Revenge of the Bird King anyways? Did they actually release it?

Edited by goldenpp72

3 hours ago, Brickman said:

A thread I started that you may be interested in reading

It has a list of all the LRG/EastAsia soft games.

Also @Mr. CIB posted a list in that thread of the full Vita set but you’d have to double check with him if it was 100% accurate as I wouldn’t know (I’m a Japanese Vita collector).

The Vita list I posted is accurate however, the 3 Nicalis and 1 LRG game has always been in question. Hole punched games are "test copies" and were taken/stolen by whoever had access to them, your choice to include them or not.

As far as not including LRG I can't agree with that one. Retail as we know it has changed. It's not about walking up to a store and being able to buy it. The internet has changed the way we shop and with store like Amazon would you exclude what they sell? Because there are a few games they sell on switch for example that haven't been released anywhere else.... or some GameStop exclusives you can't seem to find in store but can order online. 

List are what you make them as long as you're happy with your collection.

• Agree 2

36 minutes ago, Mr. CIB said:

The Vita list I posted is accurate however, the 3 Nicalis and 1 LRG game has always been in question. Hole punched games are "test copies" and were taken/stolen by whoever had access to them, your choice to include them or not.

As far as not including LRG I can't agree with that one. Retail as we know it has changed. It's not about walking up to a store and being able to buy it. The internet has changed the way we shop and with store like Amazon would you exclude what they sell? Because there are a few games they sell on switch for example that haven't been released anywhere else.... or some GameStop exclusives you can't seem to find in store but can order online. 

List are what you make them as long as you're happy with your collection.

I agree personally that LRG releases count even if they are frustrating, I see the argument but they did release in some official way. The other 4, it doesn't really seem fair to demand them if they were literally never supposed to be releases. The only statement I could find from Nicalis also condemned them for being sold on ebay.  It's kind of like finding a canceled NES retail prototype and then saying that's part of a full set, there was never a normal way to obtain it. 

Edited by goldenpp72
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

I think I'm teetering on avoiding the rest because I fear my impulse would then push me to pursue the other 4 even if I add a qualifier. Since I don't typically do full sets outside of very small collections (see Virtual Boy, Pico, etc) it isn't something that kills me too much, I was just surprised that I got this far, I expected to see that I was missing 100-200 games and just was making sure I didn't want any of them lol. I decided to throw on one game, but Invizimals is also a bit pricey to get the ESRB version due to not releasing natively in North America and I don't particularly want that either. 

For now I am operating that if they ever do a real release of the 4 'not really released but they exist' games, I'd probably then go chip off the other 17 just to say hey, neat, but otherwise it's all stuff I'd not really want to represent anyways. I suppose this concept is becoming pretty hazy these days, like for me I don't consider unlicensed non retail releases of NES games part of a US retail set, but the definition of retail is becoming a bit more complex with stuff like LRG and what have you becoming so prominent.

I used to collect every LRG release, but I have since started reducing those purchases to the standard of the rest of my collection, that being only buy the ones I care to have, but since I have all the VIta ones aside I suppose the one they didn't release, that's neat I guess 😛

I also don't like visual novels, but my fiancee is really keen on anime stuff and she owns about 50 of the games that are within my 302 game set, a lot of times her different taste result in representing consoles a bit more to their nature. Such as the more casual Wii and DS releases, she probably owns a solid 1/3 of the lineup for each of those and it's all stuff I'd never touch with a 100 foot poll.

Do you know of any visual novels that play in English and are not some weird sort of romance?

Just now, phart010 said:

Do you know of any visual novels that play in English and are not some weird sort of romance?

Wasn't there a Metal Gear Solid one from a few years ago?  Pretty sure that one checks both of those boxes.

Doing some quick Googling, it looks like it was a PSP release from 2006, then re-released as a blu-ray disc in 2013.

3 minutes ago, phart010 said:

I think maybe the Zero Time Dilemma stuff might be considered as such, but I think they aren't considered pure visual novels. The funny thing is I don't know much about anime stuff, so my fiancee and I were doing a trade and pulled all these anime looking games out and said, these are otome visual novels so you won't want these. I had no idea what that meant but I guess it's a bunch of guys trying to romance me, so she would be on the mark there lol.

52 minutes ago, goldenpp72 said:

What's the story with Revenge of the Bird King anyways? Did they actually release it?

I actually met the guy who developed it and bought a signed copy of the PS4 version from him. He never mentioned anything about a vita version to me 🤨

He also made Super Gunworld 2

2 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

No, it was never released but it's printed. There was a time a few years back they wanted to give a free game to people that collected the Vita set but my guess is one of two things happened. 1. Became too much to manage because people bought releases from eBay and how do you verify or 2. There are more potential fullset collectors than they have copies. Same way they sent out the 5 year coin to people that purchased from day one.

15 minutes ago, Mr. CIB said:

No, it was never released but it's printed. There was a time a few years back they wanted to give a free game to people that collected the Vita set but my guess is one of two things happened. 1. Became too much to manage because people bought releases from eBay and how do you verify or 2. There are more potential fullset collectors than they have copies. Same way they sent out the 5 year coin to people that purchased from day one.

It's pretty sketchy that this stuff ends up in the wild and the companies behind the releases won't release official word, like it would be nice if they would at least say something like '10 copies were made, it will never be released by us' or something. It seems irresponsible to allow this to go as it has.

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

I don't think I'll gun for the set either way since I don't want to add all the sports games, but I just finished the final logging, and have an even 300 physical releases for ESRB rated games, or 301 if you count the no cart/code in a box Minecraft 😛

If I were you, I would get the rest. You really don't need that many.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

I'm curious, do you have a working list of all US ESRB releases? I used Pricecharting but in that instance the Vita Database had a LOT of non ESRB rated titles or even digital stuff blended in. Figured I could put my list against yours if you had one off hand. Very cool that you have those 4 games though, I think I'll personally not gun for them unless they ever actually are distributed but it's still impressive to see. Do you know how many known copies there are for each?

Sorry, it didn't look like my messages were submitting....

This is the best Vita checklist. It's missing 1001 Spikes, VVVVVV, The Binding of Isaac, Revenge of the Bird King, ESRB Invizimals and Epic Mickey though. 

https://psoarchive.neocities.org/collect/the_vita_r1_checklist.pdf

Edited by EdV
Error
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

I'm curious, do you have a working list of all US ESRB releases? I used Pricecharting but in that instance the Vita Database had a LOT of non ESRB rated titles or even digital stuff blended in. Figured I could put my list against yours if you had one off hand. Very cool that you have those 4 games though, I think I'll personally not gun for them unless they ever actually are distributed but it's still impressive to see. Do you know how many known copies there are for each?

This is the best list I have ever seen. I guarantee it's accurate and the only games excluded are 1001 Spikes, VVVVVV, The Binding of Isaac, Revenge of the Bird King, ESRB Invizimals, and Epic Mickey. It's a pdf and you have to download load it. Here is the link and a screenshot. 

This is the best Vita checklist. It's missing 1001 Spikes, VVVVVV, The Binding of Isaac, Revenge of the Bird King, ESRB Invizimals and Epic Mickey though. 

Edited by EdV

Edited by EdV
Error

10 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

I believe 30 copies each of 1001 Spikes and VVVVVV. To date, 6 copies of Isaac have been seen. Here is the best Vita checklist.  It's missing 1001 Spikes, VVVVVV, The Binding of Isaac, Revenge of the Bird King, ESRB Invizimals and Epic Mickey though. 

Edited by EdV
Error

9 hours ago, Brickman said:

Not sure if you’re doing other regions but if you are do you have the Australian release of Gal Gun Double Peace? It was meant to go on the shelves but they thought it was too sexual so only honoured pre orders and destroyed the rest.

https://nichegamer.com/eb-games-australia-pulls-galgun/

I only collected every ESRB game variant. 

It would be nice to see them two games though. Did any get leaked out?

20 minutes ago, EdV said:

I believe 30 copies each of 1001 Spikes and VVVVVV. To date, 6 copies of Isaac have been seem. Here is the best Vita checklist.  It's missing 1001 Spikes, VVVVVV, The Binding of Isaac, Revenge of the Bird King, ESRB Invizimals and Epic Mickey though. 

I suppose that explains the price difference for Isaac, it was cool to see the mystery of that one unwind a bit, but it seems like Revenge of the Bird king is the least covered, I don't even think it exist in Pricechartings database.

13 minutes ago, goldenpp72 said:

I suppose that explains the price difference for Isaac, it was cool to see the mystery of that one unwind a bit, but it seems like Revenge of the Bird king is the least covered, I don't even think it exist in Pricechartings database.

There are definitely more copies out there but so far only 3 public copies of Revenge of the Bird King have been spotted. Two on Ebay (one new and one used) and one in a picture of Limited Run Doug's collection case....

Edited by EdV
Error
  • Sad 1