IGNORED

How to estimate collection value from PriceCharting?

Sumez

So I'm slowly trying to import my video game collection of ~4000 games into PriceCharting for insurance reasons. It's very bad at recognizing games, barely knows any Japanese titles, and has a whole slew of other issues, but for now it'll have to pass as an estimate though.

But I have a bigger issue, it's not adding up the value of every item.
For example take this listing of US region PS1 games:

https://www.pricecharting.com/offers?status=collection&seller=q6fmpgihm4dktoxznovkl7euem&sort=starts&category=video-games&console=G6&condition-id=all

17 titles are listed, but the summary up top is only up adding 5 (randomly picked?) games. How do I get the total value of every game per platform - or the entire collection of course?

This is a small gripe I've had with all of these collection loggers.  If you're going to allow for an upload process, you should always have an intermediate page where you list all the games that did NOT upload and then provide a search/drop-down where users can specify what the missing game should be from the site list.  Otherwise, it's a super-big pain to fix this and makes it so the upload process isn't even worth using.

At a minimum, you need to provide the exceptions list, possibly provided as a CSV, so users can go through the list of what did not work and manually search and add.

Free is free and I say enjoy what you get.  However, if you're a site admin and going to take the time to generate an upload process, at least make it useful.  We all have different master lists from different sources and this means some of the games on our spreadsheets will never upload properly.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, RH said:

This is a small gripe I've had with all of these collection loggers.  If you're going to allow for an upload process, you should always have an intermediate page where you list all the games that did NOT upload and then provide a search/drop-down where users can specify what the missing game should be from the site list.  Otherwise, it's a super-big pain to fix this and makes it so the upload process isn't even worth using.

At a minimum, you need to provide the exceptions list, possibly provided as a CSV, so users can go through the list of what did not work and manually search and add.

Free is free and I say enjoy what you get.  However, if you're a site admin and going to take the time to generate an upload process, at least make it useful.  We all have different master lists from different sources and this means some of the games on our spreadsheets will never upload properly.

GameValueNow didn’t have exactly this but it did crap out a list of what it didn’t recognize so I could go through and add whatever it missed. I think that’s why I chose GVN over PC when I started logging online for value estimates. 

9 minutes ago, RH said:

Agree this is a pretty big issue, too. The import process is painfully poorly designed. But the fact that it's not even adding up every item it did add, is an even bigger issue :S 

How do other users of the site deal with this problem? Is there a way to "refresh" the summary?

3 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Agree this is a pretty big issue, too. The import process is painfully poorly designed. But the fact that it's not even adding up every item it did add, is an even bigger issue :S 

How do other users of the site deal with this problem? Is there a way to "refresh" the summary?

GameValuenow doesn’t give me the option to refresh value and I’m not sure how often it actually updates. You maybe better off with a paid app if you want full functionality. I’ve seen a lot of people use CLZ but have experience with it myself. 

15 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

GameValueNow didn’t have exactly this but it did crap out a list of what it didn’t recognize so I could go through and add whatever it missed. I think that’s why I chose GVN over PC when I started logging online for value estimates. 

I think you're right.  I uploaded my collection to them from a master NintendoAge list I created by copy-and-pasting Dain's tables  into my spreadsheet.  I think I was able to add in the missing pieces and it might have been about 10% at that time.  It's a shame that service died.

15 hours ago, Sumez said:

I have pieced together info from news letters and info I've read that the reason why PriceCharting lists are "off" is because various user stats are pre-calculated on a period like once every 12-24 hours.  Others are updated on a process that I think might run every hour.

I don't have the specifics but what this means is that you might upload a bunch of games and then some of the numbers seem off.  Come back tomorrow and they should be correct.  I know it's confusing.  I've also added games and didn't see an update in my library value. 

I don't know the specifics but I do know that a lot of their summarized values are calculated on a period and saved in summary tables rather than calculated  on the fly.  This cuts down on server usage and helps keep down site costs.

Edited by RH

I added my entire collection into pricecharting recently and also had similar problems.

Try getting an export of your collection and see if the spreadsheet is populated correctly.  I had to do that to find what was then (incorrectly) not listed on the website and then go in manually for each item and add new / remove the old entry.

Then it worked correctly. All in all, the site has some shortcoming (aside from how it calculates values)

Yeah this happens anytime you add anything of real substance using the import tool, I had routine contact with the site owner while trying to populate around 8000 games, so he would kindly update the ticker as it were, but it was a process. I guess it's just not able to handle real bulk for some reason.

Eventually I'll be adding PS4/Switch/Xbox One so that'll be brutal too.