IGNORED

Any tips for a first-time home buyer?

Gloves

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

That is definitely true, but I feel like that's the exception rather than the rule...

It's fast becoming not the exception, though. A lot more people are moving from job to job more often, that often necessitates a relocation. I do a LOT of hiring and resumes have definitely seen more job churn than they did in the past, and often from companies from all over. Upward mobility from within a company has also diminished compared to hiring from outside.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

It's fast becoming not the exception, though. A lot more people are moving from job to job more often, that often necessitates a relocation. I do a LOT of hiring and resumes have definitely seen more job churn than they did in the past, and often from companies from all over. Upward mobility from within a company has also diminished compared to hiring from outside.

Fair enough.  All I know is that I would never go back to renting, even if it was free.  No more moving or living on other people's property for me... 😛

Edited by Dr. Morbis

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

People in my industry on average change jobs every two years or so, probably less. I'm a Technical Director at the moment, coming from a Full Stack Web Developer background. I'm the odd one out with my first two web jobs lasting for 5.5 years a piece, and my most recent job I was at for over 2 years. Current job I've been here for just over a year.

I don't tend to aim to change jobs regularly, and I like where I'm at right now, but I've 100% seen the pattern - people in my industry and field change jobs regularly. That said, I'm 100% remote, so happily I can live anywhere and have already told my employer that I intend to move to Nova Scotia within the next year or so and they've given me a big thumbs up and pat on the back, which I super appreciate.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

That is definitely true, but I feel like that's the exception rather than the rule...

I definitely have moved a lot, mostly due to expat positions for a couple years at a time with spans in the US between them, but lots of people relocate for jobs at least a few times in their lives. Owning a house until the mortgage is paid down in 30 years is more the exception than the rule nowadays, hence the ~8 year average ownership stat.

I did own a hours for 7 years at one point, and definitely appreciate the feeling of ownership, so I'll buy again when I retire in a few years and settle down in one place.

• Like 2