IGNORED

Wata Encased, SNES Prototype--The ROMs are not masked?! Is that a problem?

RH

I just saw this on eBay as a "suggestion".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265994025369

I see they've provided some type of report and it sounds like they dumped the ROM.  I have no clue of Wata only dumps the ROMs and keeps the data on their servers, or if the provide it to the customer.  Certainly, they provide it to the customer but that's not my issue.

What I see is a few EPROM chips that are not masked with tape or anything.  Does anyone know, is this a problem?  Now, before we all give the knee-jerk response of "Yes!", what I'm not sure about is if these cases are extremely UV protective.  Does anyone have any knowledge on this.

To be fair, I don't think this is Wata's fault.  I mean, they could tape over the windows but then they are altering the item.  They could offer a "stabilization" feature that could put little Wata stickers (lol) over the ROM windows but the customer should have masked these.

Regardless, does anyone know if these cases are safe for displaying an item like this?

• Like 1

Their website claims to use archival level UV protection right there, so probably it's safe, but still would make a prototype collectors skin crawl as you're right, they should just have some custom stickers with the graders emblem on it over the window even if it just is "just in case" to be safe.

Wata doesn't dump ROM. You send your prototype to Wata and they immediately send it to Frank Cifaldi at The Video Game History Foundation. Frank authenticates it, provides a writeup and also provides a more in-depth writeup if you pay extra for it. The prototype is sent back to Wata with the stamp of approval and Wata encases it.

Frank will dump the ROM if you give him permission to, which I think everyone should because preservation is a huge concern with this type of memory. Frank will not release the ROM to the public unless he has permission from you and he will not even release a list of dumped games without permission, I've tried. 

The cases are UV protective, unlike VGA whom gives you the choice, but I still would not trust the case to protect unmasked chips like this, I would want them covered. I know Wata also doesn't make their own cases so they would had to have order this one case specifically just for this game and also not masked the ROM so I feel like this was probably done for someone they know or a high profile client.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

“UV protection” plastic sucks. I’d put stickers on that dude, who cares if it’s dumped. Still it’s going to live the rest of its life in a plastic box so who really cares.

Well with this game, you are correct.  But for something a bit more high profile, I think it could depend on the buyer.

2 hours ago, RH said:

Well with this game, you are correct.  But for something a bit more high profile, I think it could depend on the buyer.

Honestly, they should probably be putting stickers over all windows regardless of what cart it is, who submitted it, etc.  If they're not removing existing stickers in the areas of those windows to add their own, they're not really "altering" the cart by adding protective stickers over top of the windows.  Since they tend to add notes onto the back side of their labels about everything else, it would seem to be trivial for them to add a small footnote about adding protective "WATA" (or whatever) labeled stickers over unprotected, UV sensitive chip windows.

Unless they've got some gear on-site to test them, they really don't know whether the cases they've obtained for such prototypes really are UV-resistant, they're just trusting that whoever overseas manufactured it for them actually did so using the right materials and/or shipped them the right product.  And, even if they got the right cases in, the fact is that all UV-resistant coatings for windows, sunglasses, etc., wear out over time, whereas opaque coverings for chip windows really don't, at least not within the same scale of time (years for most UV coatings, decades or even longer for opaque paper/plastic stickers).

So, yes, they absolutely, positively should be covering and protecting all previously uncovered, unprotected chip windows that cross their paths.  You really can't be too careful with that stuff, because before it's backed up, if it's gone, it's gone forever.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

What they should really be doing is storing the prototype in their vault FOR you. You can pay to have it graded, and you never have to hold it again in your grubby little hands! Then it stays out of sunlight, out of eyesight for everyone! 

This is the way of the future. 

Edited by CodysGameRoom
  • Haha 3

On 11/17/2022 at 4:39 PM, CodysGameRoom said:

What they should really be doing is storing the prototype in their vault FOR you. You can pay to have it graded, and you never have to hold it again in your grubby little hands! Then it stays out of sunlight, out of eyesight for everyone! 

This is the way of the future. 

Wasn't that their business plan with the bulk of 2020-early 2022 submissions?  😉🤪

Edited by darkchylde28
  • Haha 1