IGNORED

Is there a consistent strat for the stage 6 mouths in Super C?

mbd39

I try to keep moving and shoot ahead with the spread gun. You can hear the sound that you are hitting something ahead of you, so just stop until you clear a path before going forward. If you watch this video starting at 11:55 you will see what I mean.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mbd39 said:

It seems like there's luck involved since mouths can spawn right under you.  Is there a way to get through every time without dying at least once?

This is the only section from the NES Contra games that I think is a bit unfair.

Definitely the hardest level/section in the game.

I usually just say fuck it and run for it. Sometimes make it through, sometimes die once, sometimes a couple, haha.

Sometimes I approach cautiously like Bearcat.

If you see a mouth start to open underneath/near you, turn around, run away and circle around.... 

I happened to film this level when I was doing a marathon. Died twice in that section, haha, but you can see me circle around later and fuck a few up with my pea shooter (got lucky when the middle opened up, though). 

Here's the clip: (PLEASE EXCUSE THE OBNOXIOUS MUSIC... it was a 15 hour marathon and I lived with roommates so when they were home they put music on. You can hear me talking to them a bit. We're talking about different records from Twin Galaxies, etc.)...

9 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I try to keep moving and shoot ahead with the spread gun. You can hear the sound that you are hitting something ahead of you, so just stop until you clear a path before going forward. If you watch this video starting at 11:55 you will see what I mean.

Very clean. This seems to be a much better approach than just "Give 'er", hahaha. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AirVillain said:

Definitely the hardest level/section in the game.

I usually just say fuck it and run for it. Sometimes make it through, sometimes die once, sometimes a couple, haha.

Sometimes I approach cautiously like Bearcat.

If you see a mouth start to open underneath/near you, turn around, run away and circle around.... 

I happened to film this level when I was doing a marathon. Died twice in that section, haha, but you can see me circle around later and fuck a few up with my pea shooter (got lucky when the middle opened up, though). 

Here's the clip: (PLEASE EXCUSE THE OBNOXIOUS MUSIC... it was a 15 hour marathon and I lived with roommates so when they were home they put music on. You can hear me talking to them a bit. We're talking about different records from Twin Galaxies, etc.)...

Very clean. This seems to be a much better approach than just "Give 'er", hahaha. 

I actually have more trouble at the end section with the rocks or whatever they are that come at you from both sides.

It's been a while, but I seem to remember racing through this section.  I don't stop to shoot the mouths and the only time I even fire is to take out the blue aliens.  Not firing helps to see and dodge any mouths that may appear in your path.

Edited by rdrunner
  • Like 1

I also think if you have spread and spam fast enough you can kill them before they even have a chance to spawn/create a hitbox. I agree though, pretty cheap part and I've never had a strat to get by this 100% of the time. I typically play this with my brother these days and on these top-down levels we typically just move as one and spam. Works 95% of the time I'd say.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2022 at 11:30 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

I actually have more trouble at the end section with the rocks or whatever they are that come at you from both sides.

I hear that. 

Spiky alien things? 🤨 Whatever they are. I try to make sure I get the screen clear (POW block thing?), shoot straight left & right if I have spread, and just rip.

Super C is certainly one of my favourites.

It's unfortunate it doesn't increase in difficulty as Contra does, so looping it is more of a marathon challenge because the levels don't get any more difficult and there's no max score.... 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 9:53 AM, Andy_Bogomil said:

I also think if you have spread and spam fast enough you can kill them before they even have a chance to spawn/create a hitbox. I agree though, pretty cheap part and I've never had a strat to get by this 100% of the time. I typically play this with my brother these days and on these top-down levels we typically just move as one and spam. Works 95% of the time I'd say.

Knuckle up!!

On 10/27/2022 at 6:06 PM, AirVillain said:

I hear that. 

Spiky alien things? 🤨 Whatever they are. I try to make sure I get the screen clear (POW block thing?), shoot straight left & right if I have spread, and just rip.

Super C is certainly one of my favourites.

It's unfortunate it doesn't increase in difficulty as Contra does, so looping it is more of a marathon challenge because the levels don't get any more difficult and there's no max score.... 

The second loop is harder, right? But it's my understanding that like Castlevania it doesn't get any harder beyond the second loop and just keeps repeating.

8 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

The second loop is harder, right? But it's my understanding that like Castlevania it doesn't get any harder beyond the second loop and just keeps repeating.

Well.... hmmmm..... It's certainly a possibility.  🤨  I never noticed a difference.

But then again, I really only looped it a few separate occasions "practising", so going from the first loop to the second I probably only did a few times...

It certainly doesn't add enough difficulty to make looping it any more difficult.

Most I've played it was for ~15.5 hours 🤣 

2 hours ago, AirVillain said:

Well.... hmmmm..... It's certainly a possibility.  🤨  I never noticed a difference.

But then again, I really only looped it a few separate occasions "practising", so going from the first loop to the second I probably only did a few times...

It certainly doesn't add enough difficulty to make looping it any more difficult.

Most I've played it was for ~15.5 hours 🤣 

I played it for 8 loops on one life once before finally giving up out of boredom. I think it gets slightly more difficult on the second loop, but it's barely enough to notice. Contra gets so crazy by the fourth loop that fighting the slowdown is even tougher than the actual game.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I played it for 8 loops on one life once before finally giving up out of boredom. I think it gets slightly more difficult on the second loop, but it's barely enough to notice. Contra gets so crazy by the fourth loop that fighting the slowdown is even tougher than the actual game.

That's one hell of a run! I one lifed a few loops but I don't think many consecutively

Yeah, I trust you.

As I said, I definitely didn't notice it.

As for Contra, yeah, it gets bonkers. If you have the pea shooter some places you are really fucked.

9 hours ago, AirVillain said:

That's one hell of a run! I one lifed a few loops but I don't think many consecutively

Yeah, I trust you.

As I said, I definitely didn't notice it.

As for Contra, yeah, it gets bonkers. If you have the pea shooter some places you are really fucked.

It wasn't that bad looping Super C since there's no real difficulty increase and for me the longer I play everything basically just becomes automatic. I think it took me 7 loops to max the score in Contra and it was extremely difficult later on if you lost a life and were stuck with the standard gun for an extended period of time.

5 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It wasn't that bad looping Super C since there's no real difficulty increase and for me the longer I play everything basically just becomes automatic. I think it took me 7 loops to max the score in Contra and it was extremely difficult later on if you lost a life and were stuck with the standard gun for an extended period of time.

Agreed. This (Not difficult to loop Super C) is one of the reasons why I don't think Super C is THAT difficult of a game. As you said, it can become somewhat "automatic"/repetitive.

Yeah, exactly... some of the parts in Contra were just insane, but that's why it's a great game! I like how the developers put that extra added challenge in there. 

Like.... I wonder if Contra gets INFINITELY more difficult... how many loops AFTER you max out the score do you have to play before the guys get absolutely impossible to stay on top of?

I mean, I can't recall it getting WAY more difficult every loop when I maxed it out, so maybe the difficulty does cap as well. I do recall getting really fucked at the end with my damn pea shooter and just making it so I'm not sure how much longer I would have played anyways... 🤔

30 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Agreed. This (Not difficult to loop Super C) is one of the reasons why I don't think Super C is THAT difficult of a game. As you said, it can become somewhat "automatic"/repetitive.

Yeah, exactly... some of the parts in Contra were just insane, but that's why it's a great game! I like how the developers put that extra added challenge in there. 

Like.... I wonder if Contra gets INFINITELY more difficult... how many loops AFTER you max out the score do you have to play before the guys get absolutely impossible to stay on top of?

I mean, I can't recall it getting WAY more difficult every loop when I maxed it out, so maybe the difficulty does cap as well. I do recall getting really fucked at the end with my damn pea shooter and just making it so I'm not sure how much longer I would have played anyways... 🤔

It's seems that I read somewhere that Contra maxes out on difficulty after the fourth loop. That sounds about right because I think the slow down made the game extremely difficult by loop five.

22 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It's seems that I read somewhere that Contra maxes out on difficulty after the fourth loop. That sounds about right because I think the slow down made the game extremely difficult by loop five.

.... Hmmmm.... 🤔

Fourth loop, eh? Well, without actually playing again and taking notes I can't say for sure, haha. (hopefully have a set-up to "test" soon) 

That seems rather early, though.... I mean, I think there's a couple more loops than that to max it out. It's about a 3.5 hour run and about 20 minutes per loop? Around 10 loops? But 7 could be about right too... 7-10?

So I thought it continued to get harder later in the game, but I could be wrong.

Here's some of my last loop, which I also happen to have a clip of 🤣🤷‍♂️.... Giant Alien Head in Stage 8 is nuts. And I'm pretty sure I had a shit ton of lives at one point and got whittled down all the way down to 7. I was kinda panicking, haha. 

1 hour ago, AirVillain said:

.... Hmmmm.... 🤔

Fourth loop, eh? Well, without actually playing again and taking notes I can't say for sure, haha. (hopefully have a set-up to "test" soon) 

That seems rather early, though.... I mean, I think there's a couple more loops than that to max it out. It's about a 3.5 hour run and about 20 minutes per loop? Around 10 loops? But 7 could be about right too... 7-10?

So I thought it continued to get harder later in the game, but I could be wrong.

Here's some of my last loop, which I also happen to have a clip of 🤣🤷‍♂️.... Giant Alien Head in Stage 8 is nuts. And I'm pretty sure I had a shit ton of lives at one point and got whittled down all the way down to 7. I was kinda panicking, haha. 

I did it about five years ago so I could be wrong. I just wanted to see if I could max the score under Twin Galaxies rules. It was one of those things that I did once and didn't care to try again. I want to say it took me close to 3 hours, but I didn't really keep track.