IGNORED

TIL not even physical pinball tables are immune to DLC

Teh_Lurv

I stumbled upon this announcement video from Stern Pinball of a add-on topper for their Mandalorian Pinball table. The topper itself looks impressive with 3D holograms, but the main selling point is that attaching the topper to the pinball table will unlock additional pinball modes.

The topper is set to retail for $1,999.99.

• Wow! 1
  • Eyeroll 1

This has been a thing for decades, actually.  The most obvious "classic" one that I'm personally aware of was an upgrade to the original Addams Family pinball, where you'd replace the ROM to get some extra stuff (a few new digitized quotes, and maybe a new game mode or two plus matching graphics, IIRC), bumping your original machine from stock to "Gold."  I can't remember if there was anything else that you'd officially throw into the playfield, but ROM upgrades, while not super common, have been a thing for a long time.

9 minutes ago, CT said:

They update the code for the new machines all the time. I saw a stream with the new James Bond pinball (that Stern is releasing soon), and they said the code is not even close to being finished.  But perhaps that doesn't count as DLC in the traditional sense.

Yeah, I'd argue that legit bugfixes or the situation you're talking about (where it seems like the hardware is done but the code absolutely isn't) wouldn't count as far as "DLC."  Maybe day one patches?  lol

Events Team · Posted

Mandalorian is my go to table these days.  It's at the bar I frequent.  Can't imagine they're going to spring for the new topper but it's possible.  The owner loves pinball.

Total Nuclear Annihilation had a sweet update a few years ago that allowed 4 player coop.  Not sure if that was pay DLC or not.  Super fun if you can get a few people to go in on a game.

6 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Yeah, I'd argue that legit bugfixes or the situation you're talking about (where it seems like the hardware is done but the code absolutely isn't) wouldn't count as far as "DLC."  Maybe day one patches?  lol

To me, DLC would have to add something to the experience. Either cosmetic or actual gameplay.

Fixing something is maintenance/repair.