IGNORED

Need suggestions for Strategy game on Switch

BreaKBeatZ

I have an itch that I need to scratch - a turn based strategy game that I can play on Switch. I want it to be combat focused, so while I like Civilization and other similar games, I am looking for a game that is centered around grid based tactical battles. 

I just gave X-Com 2 a try (picked it up cheap in a lot of games), and found it terribly slow after a couple hours. I loved the original PC game so that was a disappointment. A few examples of games I enjoy from the genre - Fire Emblem series, Master of Orion/Master of Magic, Heroes of Might and Magic series, Disgaea series. The more statistics and items, the better.

Any suggestions?

I am almost done with Mercenaries Saga One - and have enjoyed it immensely. And I have 5 more installments to go!

A little simplistic- Shining Force I and II are on the Genesis Collection - still a lot of fun after all these years.

Fell Seal is good.  

No physical release (as of yet), Banner of the Maid is a good play.  And two pretty difficult DLCs to go with it (one is free).

There is a sequel to Brigandine - some people have liked it but it got rid of everything that made the original so great.

I was also very impressed with Battle Worlds Kronos.

Chroma Squad is supposed to be good - I have it but it is  in my pile of unplayed games.

• Like 1

Shining Force 1+2 have aged really well.  It’s not a game that you have to spend half your time bogged down micromanaging in menus.

Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus
Mario and Rabbids
Wargroove

Tactics Ogre remake coming next month

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BreaKBeatZ said:

I have an itch that I need to scratch - a turn based strategy game that I can play on Switch. I want it to be combat focused, so while I like Civilization and other similar games, I am looking for a game that is centered around grid based tactical battles. 

I just gave X-Com 2 a try (picked it up cheap in a lot of games), and found it terribly slow after a couple hours. I loved the original PC game so that was a disappointment. A few examples of games I enjoy from the genre - Fire Emblem series, Master of Orion/Master of Magic, Heroes of Might and Magic series, Disgaea series. The more statistics and items, the better.

Any suggestions?

This is super easy 

Wargroove is the clear winner. It’s an excellent tactics game similar to advance wars. The final boss is actually pretty difficult, the characters are charming, the mechanics are solid, and it has great post game stuff with extra missions to play. 

don’t bother with tiny metal. That one is more about exploring rather than battling and the battles are pretty easy. 

fire emblem 3 houses is decent but becomes a dating sim and just very repetitive after a while. 

Civ vi is solid. It’s just uh how do I put it. It shouldn’t be on the switch. The switch can’t properly process everything going on on the map when there are like 50+ units and it’s noticeably laggy. Definitely takes away from the game play. 

digimon survive I’m still not sure. I’m probably 2 hrs in and have done a whopping 1 real battle outside of the tutorial. It’s more a visual novel than a game so far. I’m hoping that changes soon but yea. The gameplay is solid so far, it’s just that there really hasn’t been much game play. 

and then we’re still waiting on advance wars reboot which should be solid when it finally arrives. 

• Like 1