IGNORED

Graphic Design... What are the kids using these days?

AirVillain

30 Rock Hello GIF

Well I'm back!

So what are you using for graphic design? 

Years ago a buddy gave me a copy of Adobe Suite, which I used Illustrator, Photoshop, and a bit of some other programs.... mostly those two. 

I'd like to use those two programs again. Creating small time logo's/business cards.... some VERY basic print creation. 

So I'm on the Adobe website now and it seams all I can do is pay a monthly fee to use them each month??

https://www.adobe.com/ca/creativecloud/plans.html?filter=all-apps&plan=individual

Fuck.... can't just outright buy them anymore? 

Social Team · Posted

Open Source baby!!!  https://www.gimp.org/

FYI, I'm a hack of a hack when it comes to doing photo editing...

Spoiler

472398637_zQ1Uw0H-Imgur.gif.d38498f293fae84608796800768977f8.gif

This was in a video editor but I think it's a good representation of my level of skills and what is "good enough" for me 😝  Those from VGS Werewolf know how much I use this GIF so you'd think I'd made it better... NOPE!

• Love 1

Gimp is mostly a drop in replacement for Photoshop and is free, which is fortunate for folks (such as myself) who don't agree with or appreciate Adobe's forever cash grab subscription business.  I've used it a few times as needed, typically with a guide, but a friend who did graphical work professionally was able to hop right into it and do basically the same stuff, with the same keystrokes and shortcuts, that he was in Photoshop, save not having the same plugins, filters, etc. out of the box.

Beware, if you weren't aware of it, Microsoft went the same way with their Office suite a few years ago, so if you're a fan of Word, Excel, etc., you're either going to have to buy an older version or suck it up and deal with the subscription model.  Even worse is the heavy rumor that Microsoft's next operating system will be subscription based versus just allowing you to buy a copy over the counter or just get a key with a prebuilt system.

• Love 1

Killer!!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!  😎👍

I'm going to try out a couple of the free ones as mentioned. See how that goes. 

13 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

Gimp is mostly a drop in replacement for Photoshop and is free, which is fortunate for folks (such as myself) who don't agree with or appreciate Adobe's forever cash grab subscription business.  I've used it a few times as needed, typically with a guide, but a friend who did graphical work professionally was able to hop right into it and do basically the same stuff, with the same keystrokes and shortcuts, that he was in Photoshop, save not having the same plugins, filters, etc. out of the box.

Beware, if you weren't aware of it, Microsoft went the same way with their Office suite a few years ago, so if you're a fan of Word, Excel, etc., you're either going to have to buy an older version or suck it up and deal with the subscription model.  Even worse is the heavy rumor that Microsoft's next operating system will be subscription based versus just allowing you to buy a copy over the counter or just get a key with a prebuilt system.

Neat about this Gimp option. Looking forward to it. 

Hahaha, damn.... you know, when I bought the computer I was like "fuck it, I just want Office and don't want to fuck around".... well, I bought Office thinking it was for use of the program, but you're right it's a yearly subscription. Whelp, I guess I'll check out this OpenOffice deal in about 10 months. 

4 hours ago, Link said:

You are aware of OpenOffice, right?

I am now.

Haha, thanks. Will likely use that after my year is up. 🤮

11 hours ago, Link said:

You are aware of OpenOffice, right?

I am, and I have a copy that I use at home (primarily due to being too lazy to hunt down my legit copy of Office 2010 or whatever I bought through work).  However, unlike the functionality of Gimp, which more or less perfectly mirrors Photoshop, OpenOffice is ever so slightly off from actual Office, and not (to me) in a good way.  It's usable, it gets the job done, but it just doesn't look or feel right (to many folks like myself who used Office daily at work for years on end).