IGNORED

Nintendo NES power supply issue

docile tapeworm

I watched a video about basically that exact thing a couple of days go.  It's not the PSU, it's that the caps in the power section of the NES have gone out of spec, as converting the AC to DC causes interference, but taking straight DC from a third party/Genesis power adapter causes no issue.  Basically, the power circuit doesn't have to "work as hard" when DC is input, since it doesn't need to be converted, so no lines, but when AC comes through, it's got to hit all the caps to be properly converted, and causes lines on the screen since they're not up to snuff any longer.  Not a terrible job to do, if you've got the right equipment, but something you'd probably want to address sooner rather than later since electrolytic caps have a tendency to leak and destroy stuff if let go for too long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Thanks @darkchylde28 I have a cap kit looks like I’m gonna have to get a de solder tool.

I wouldnt bother, if you are open to my advice. I spent 150$ on a “good quality” desolder tool and honestly using a solder braid/wick and a little patience is far better, if you have an OK iron. 

It takes longer but is more consistent. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

I wouldnt bother, if you are open to my advice. I spent 150$ on a “good quality” desolder tool and honestly using a solder braid/wick and a little patience is far better, if you have an OK iron. 

Agree. Unless your trying to buy a $300 Hakko

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrWunderful said:

34 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Agree. Unless your trying to buy a $300 Hakko

I got a weller iron/pen. No adjustments.

Edited by docile tapeworm