IGNORED

What is this cart? Pirate? Repro? You decide.

Ferris Bueller

When I saw this, I wasn't sure what to make of it. It's super weird. My first thought was NoC refurbed a game that wasn't theirs. But then I thought maybe it was someone making pirates early on. Now I think it might be an early repro. What is this label? What is this back sticker? What are these eprom covers?

I can't find any info on the name Katoco. One website popped up for me and the guy I emailed never got back to me. Anyone here know what this is?

FmSZPkH.jpg 

BU7GNSP.jpg  

yma5WDM.jpg

Edited by Ferris Bueller
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Really cool stuff, thanks for sharing!

Makes me wonder if this company were just "hobbyists" in Korea reselling these for collectors market there. 

Check my Twitter for that dude who seemed to know what it was right away. The list I found online for a collector had them down for an Ogre Battle with a translation patch, I think. I'd never seen anything like it, I love the label. The back label threw me with the warranty.

On 10/10/2020 at 10:46 AM, Ferris Bueller said:

The back label threw me with the warranty.

That seems like a really gutsy thing to have done. I have always assumed people who made pirates would have fallen back on the same legal arguments tengen used if they were sued. You cant do that if you label it to make it look like a licensed Nintendo product

34 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

That seems like a really gutsy thing to have done. I have always assumed people who made pirates would have fallen back on the same legal arguments tengen used if they were sued. You cant do that if you label it to make it look like a licensed Nintendo product

Apparently game piracy is pretty common in Korea:

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/132095/piracy_in_korea_r4_triumphant.php

My guess is that the fake label was to gull any naive consumers into thinking it was a legit product.

• Like 1