IGNORED

Mini Consoles Dropping After Quarantine?

LaytToTheParty

What do y'all think mini consoles will do after quarantine is up? You have people spending $180 on loose SNES classics, when they were going for $50 in November. I just can't see them holding their price. Along with Ring Fit, Animal Crossing, and a shit ton of Wii consoles, I think they will all flood the market once people can leave their houses. Considering NES and SNES games, as well as Genesis titles, and so widely available (Wii, 3ds, Wii U, Switch Online, compilation packs, ect) I just don't see these niche products holding their value. The SNES classic in particuilar sold 6 million units, almost half of the Wii U's lifetime sales, so it's not like the items are "rare" and the fact that none of the games on them are "exclusive" and can all be emulated really well, there's literally no way that these consoles stay atg $100-150. Now would be the perfect time for Nintendo to drop an N64 classic, though, people online are going nuts for that stuff. I had someone offer me $40 above market value for Ocarina of Time on OfferUp. Absolutely bonkers.

Nintendo can't keep up with production of Switch consoles and games. That's were there focus is, and should be.

They aren't going to drop another classic console, and are likely having supply chain issues with their existing classic consoles. Prices are up due to widespread shortages due to these supply chain disruptions, so people are bidding things up, and buying what they can get their hands on. It's logical.

Prices on current stuff will certainly settle once they can start keeping things in stock. Prices on the vintage stuff, might cool off and dip, but I'd be surprised it they go to pre-pandemic levels, unless we go through a post-pandemic great depression. (As it looks there will be an initial recovery, but after that who knows?)

52 minutes ago, LaytToTheParty said:

Now would be the perfect time for Nintendo to drop an N64 classic, though, people online are going nuts for that stuff.

Two things about N64 games are 1) can they get the emulation to work hassle free, and 2) can they get the Rareware games that Microsoft is currently sitting on?

Emulation has always been a tough nut with the N64, and they might have to run more than one (whichever is optimized for each game.)

Microsoft might be game for extra cash, but is licensing those Rare games going to cut into the profit margin of the N64 Mini? You can't have the Mini's cost be too high, as they need to stay an impulse purchase.

22 hours ago, Grondorr said:

and are likely having supply chain issues with their existing classic consoles. Prices are up due to widespread shortages due to these supply chain disruptions, so people are bidding things up, and buying what they can get their hands on. It's logical.

Nintendo stopped producing these years ago. There is no supply chain issue. Supply hasn’t changed since pre-COVID 

Best Buy had Sega Minis down to 29.99 Pre Covid.  I bet they still have them @ 29.99.  I stopped buying them after I was able to modify all the other mini consoles to play other games.  But did pick up one Sega Mini for my son to play.  Refering to some other posts about emulation, its always a issue, but has been somewhat of a "non" issue for a while.  I remember years ago playing N64 Games on my PC.  Its only a matter of time before they come out.  But bear in mind R and D does take a toll on the process of creating these, and then setting up molds and all that other fun stuff that comes with setting up a factory to produce them.  

The NES classic only came to be since there was a period of time after Wii-U leading up to the Switch that Nintendo had no first party console releases.. revenues were low. They needed to bring in some extra money for Q4 and keep their name relevant, so they put out the NES classic. 

I personally think they strategically put NES classic out in low numbers in order to get some free media attention just before launching the Switch. Whether that’s true or not, NES classic was put out at a time of Nintendo’s waning relevance and financials. If they are going to do a N64 classic, they will probably save that for another rainy day

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChickenTendas4PokeyEater said:

Yeah, I hope classic systems drop down after quarantine. I've always wanted an SNES classic, since it's the only "official" way I'll be able to play the majority of those games right now. But at $120, that's like 12 weeks of grinding chores just to be able to get a loose console. Doesn't make sense when there were about 7 million sold in the US, and I doubt even 100,000 people want one.

Keep in mind that the SNES classic retailed for 79.99 after most states tax maybe about $85 plus shipping puts one at about $95 bucks which is cost to the buyer to sell you one. That would be at a loss as well because eBay fees. Shipping is expensive I paid like $15 to ship an Apple Watch to CA from MD. It would have been nice to get one for retail but now that they are no longer made, I hope you get one for less but I’d stay realistic. 

edit: 12 weeks of chores for $120? You need to re-negotiate your rates!

Edited by a3quit4s

1 hour ago, ChickenTendas4PokeyEater said:

Never thought of that, though I'm looking to just buy the console. Not the box, nor the manual, inserts, controllers, cables. The "fake" came with authentic controllers, an authentic box and inserts, but some dick swapped the board. Just the console should not set me back $80, plus I'm looking to buy locally.

Haha. My parents would disagree. I'm currently only do chores Fri, Sat, Sun, since I have Google Meet classes Mon-Thursday. I've also had to put my lawnmowing "business" on hold, so less income plus higher prices on games is like a double whammy. I read a NYTimes article that said that 43% of unemployed Americans are earning more in unemployment than they were while working, so maybe that's leading to an increase in prices for collectables?

That additional unemployment income isn’t going to last forever; people complain about the cycle of poverty but then any additional money accumulated is spent on non essential items instead of going to savings or things people actually need. 

Edit: people are really going to have fun next year when all that extra money counts as income come April 2021, even at the lowest bracket they will owe about $240 per month on that extra income. Not a tax professional so someone can fact check me here or outright say I’m wrong

Edited by a3quit4s