IGNORED

NES Shmups

Crabmaster2000

Also trying to come up with a somewhat definitive list of shmups. I really thought this would be a lot more straightforward than it is. Here's what I've got so far. The first list is the ones I'm relatively confident about, followed by a list that I'm not as sure of. Would love everyone's opinions on which of these games you would call a shmup and which ones you wouldn't, but also why you feel that way. Or if I just plain old missed one please let me know.

Abadox

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Dragonstrike

Adventures of Dino Riki

Air Fortress

Alpha Mission

Back to the Future

Breakthru

Burai Fighter

Captain Planet and the Planeteers

Cobra Command

Defender II

Destination Earthstar

Dragon Spirit

Empire Strikes Back (Hoth and Bespin)

Gradius

Gun*Nac

Gun Smoke

Image Fight

Isolated Warrior

Kid Icarus (final stage?)

King’s Knight

Legendary Wings

Life Force

Magmax

SCAT Special Cybernetic Attack Team

Section Z

Seicross

Silkworm

Silver Surfer

Sky Kid

Sky Shark

Spy Hunter

Sqoon

Star Force

Starship Hector

Star Soldier

Stinger

Super Spy Hunter

Tale Spin

Terra Cresta

The Guardian Legend

The Hunt for Red October

The Last Starfighter

The Little Mermaid

Thunderbirds

Thundercade

Tiger-Heli

Twin Cobra

Twin Eagle

Wurm: Journey to the Center of the Earth

Xevious

Xexyz

Zanac

Zombie Nation

Shmup or something else?

Balloon Fight?

Bump n Jump?

Captain Skyhawk?

Cybernoid: The Fighting Machine?

Galaga?

Gyruss?

Iron Tank?

Jackal?

Knight Rider?

Mach Rider?

Millipede?

Paperboy?

Paperboy 2?

Raid on Bungeling Bay?

Roadblasters?

Ultimate Air Combat (bombing missions)

Edited by Crabmaster2000
spelled real bad and added a game to the list
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, docile tapeworm said:

This is me just being a clown but I’m just wondering how destination earth star your sure of but somehow captain Skyhawk is questionable 😁

I think it's the perspective of Skyhawk that is throwing me off. The second part of each level in Earthstar is very clearly a run of the mill shmup stage. But if Skyhawk is also a shmup does that mean the bombing missions in Ultimate Air Combat are shmup stages too?

1 minute ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

I think it's the perspective of Skyhawk that is throwing me off. The second part of each level in Earthstar is very clearly a run of the mill shmup stage. But if Skyhawk is also a shmup does that mean the bombing missions in Ultimate Air Combat are shmup stages too?

Idk. Now, what about top gun?

I've played a majority of the games under the shmup list and I agree with most of what you have listed. The few that I would question are Xexyz (which I would consider a hybrid I suppose), Little Mermaid, and Kid Icarus.

For me personally, the biggest and deciphering factor between considering a game a shmup vs just a shooter is the auto-scrolling feature; the player doesn't get to control the pace of the game.

I personally don't consider any of the games listed under "shmup or something else?" as shmups. 

1 minute ago, Strikezone1 said:

I've played a majority of the games under the shmup list and I agree with most of what you have listed. The few that I would question are Xexyz (which I would consider a hybrid I suppose), Little Mermaid, and Kid Icarus.

For me personally, the biggest and deciphering factor between considering a game a shmup vs just a shooter is the auto-scrolling feature; the player doesn't get to control the pace of the game.

I personally don't consider any of the games listed under "shmup or something else?" as shmups. 

I would like to agree with the part about auto-scrolling, but then how do you define games like: AD&D:Dragonstrike, The Last Starfighter, or Defender II if they aren't Shmups?

1 minute ago, docile tapeworm said:

@Strikezone1 I give it to Skyhawk, galaga and gyruss.

Gyruss is more of like a rail/tube shooter I feel. Galaga is a single-screen arcade shooter. And if you give it to Galaga than you have to give it to Milliped too right (exact same gameplay)? I'm with ya on Skyhawk.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

I would like to agree with the part about auto-scrolling, but then how do you define games like: AD&D:Dragonstrike, The Last Starfighter, or Defender II if they aren't Shmups?

That is a good question. There is definitely some grey area and overlap when categorizing genres. I suppose I would classify those 3 as just [space] shooters.

1 minute ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

@Strikezone1and Paperboy auto scrolls why doesn't that one count for you? Also if Dragonstrike is a shump wouldn't that make Raid on Bungeling bay one as well since they are functionally very similar?

Good question regarding Paperboy. Does throwing papers at houses and in mailboxes even count as 'shooting'? Are the hazards in the game (dogs, tires, grim reapers, etc) even considered enemies since they can be bypassed without being shot at?

I honestly haven't played Raid on Bungeling Bay.

10 minutes ago, Strikezone1 said:

Good question regarding Paperboy. Does throwing papers at houses and in mailboxes even count as 'shooting'? Are the hazards in the game (dogs, tires, grim reapers, etc) even considered enemies since they can be bypassed without being shot at?

I honestly haven't played Raid on Bungeling Bay.

You can bypass enemies in any other shooter as well, with the exception of bosses, it's just much harder to do. 

Balloon Fight is a series of non-scrolling single-screen levels with no shooting. It clearly shouldn't be here. I'd put it in whatever category you have Joust, Donkey Kong, and Donkey Kong Jr.

If Galaga stays, Donkey Kong 3 probably has a good argument for being here too.

Not sure exactly how you're doing all your genre labels, but personally, I'd probably just boot all of the games I mentioned thus far to some kind of "old school arcade" genre with Pac-Man.

I don't have a particularly good idea for what to do with Little Mermaid other than "not here." I guess it's basically sort of like a platformer but being almost entirely underwater means there's barely any jumping.

Edited by MagusSmurf