IGNORED

Arcade stick Smash Bros

phart010

Has anyone played Smash Bros with an arcade stick? How does it compare to using the Gamecube controller??

I know the Gamecube controller is preferred for competition, but is the arcade stick any less fun? 

Reason I ask is I have been contemplating the feasibility of doing a Smash Bros Melee arcade cabinet. It would be a 4 player cabinet with a Gamecube or Wii inside. The cabinet controls would be wired up to Gamecube controller pcb’s (still thinking about how you’d wire the analog sticks to an arcade stick though 🧐)..

My brother has an Airbnb rental home that he’s putting a few arcade cabinets inside of and I thought this would be a neat project to include.

Since everyone would be on arcade sticks, everyone is equally handicapped by the controller. I’m just wondering if the controller would make it less fun to the point where people would not enjoy playing it.

Edited by phart010

Sounds like a cool idea! While I can't add anything to the arcade stick discussion, I'll recommend you stick a GameCube in there.

A Wii will necessitate the use of Wii remotes to boot up the game, which wouldn't work very well with the whole arcade aesthetic. It's just an unnecessary step, if all it's going to be used for is essentially one GameCube game. It will be a much cleaner physical user interface going with a GameCube.

Best of luck! Be sure to post some pics of your progress 👌

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ifightdragons said:

Sounds like a cool idea! While I can't add anything to the arcade stick discussion, I'll recommend you stick a GameCube in there.

A Wii will necessitate the use of Wii remotes to boot up the game, which wouldn't work very well with the whole arcade aesthetic. It's just an unnecessary step, if all it's going to be used for is essentially one GameCube game. It will be a much cleaner physical user interface going with a GameCube.

Best of luck! Be sure to post some pics of your progress 👌

Thanks for the tip. It’s not going to happen unless the following things happen first:

-Need to determine if it’s worth doing, that’s what I’m trying to find out now. Like would people actually want to play it this way?

-If it is worth doing, how do you convert Gamecube analog stick signals into a format that can be wired up to an arcade stick. I have converted SNES controller signals this way before, but there’s no analog stick on those..

-How much will the cabinet cost? My brother isn’t gonna pay an arm and a leg when there’s Arcade One ups available for $300 with customer service available.

Ive seen some pretty pricey brand new 4 player cabinets online. Also seen some relatively inexpensive older cabinets like Turtles in Time that could be repurposed, although I hate the idea of gutting Turtles in Time

Edited by phart010

I see no reason why it wouldn't work.  I've read it plays as well, but perhaps you can respond slightly slower with stick travel over a thumb pad/rocker that the GC controller has?  Whatever, not like it's going to some EVO competition with the real fighting games there.

If you're doing this, Gamecube all the way, the Wii game is a downgrade.  Get a nice good cube in there, run the video feed out of the rear maybe using a CARBY (HDMI) to a clean good LCD panel, and wire the 4 controller ports over to a set of 4 sticks and proper arcade buttons.  It'll be a bit wide, maybe you can find an old Konami 4P setup that's wrecked to rehab that was once Simpsons or TMNT, or make your own to those specs leaving room for people to battle it out.  Depending too on the port you start on, you can use whatever to be that player on GC too, which would be like the arcade depending which place you pop the quarter in and choose as your stick to play from.

1 hour ago, ifightdragons said:

I believe he meant using the Wii as a GameCube to play Melee.

Maybe, but I wouldn't do it.  There is no good option for the Wii if you plan to use it on anything other than an old CRT.  It's really hit and miss on a flat screen and tends to not be as nice.  I'd stick with the GC and the HDMI-Carby choice for the cleanest visuals when playing if you're really going to go all out making a wonderful cabinet out of it.  I guess if you could make something that'll hold some horrible weight, you could mount a Wii, Trinitron/WEGA TV and go that route with the component cables if you really wanted to stick to using an old display though.

23 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Maybe, but I wouldn't do it.  There is no good option for the Wii if you plan to use it on anything other than an old CRT.  It's really hit and miss on a flat screen and tends to not be as nice.  I'd stick with the GC and the HDMI-Carby choice for the cleanest visuals when playing if you're really going to go all out making a wonderful cabinet out of it.  I guess if you could make something that'll hold some horrible weight, you could mount a Wii, Trinitron/WEGA TV and go that route with the component cables if you really wanted to stick to using an old display though.

Read my first comment in this thread 😛

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

GameCubes are way worse than Wiis at playing GameCube games. So much so that I have to put "tested on a Wii" in the description of GameCube games that I sell since they often time games will work in a Wii and not in a GameCube. 

The Wii has shown itself to be somewhat of a beast so if I had to choose one over the other in terms of longevity, I'd go with the Wii. Then just throw in modding it and opening up the VC library, I think the cabinet becomes more of an attractive investment.

As for the arcade stick question in the OP, I think not having an arcade stick would cheapen the experience. Having 4 GameCube controllers hanging out of it would look kind of goofy.