IGNORED

July 2021 Read: The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

Roshar is a world of stone and storms. Uncanny tempests of incredible power sweep across the rocky terrain so frequently that they have shaped ecology and civilization alike. Animals hide in shells, trees pull in branches, and grass retracts into the soilless ground. Cities are built only where the topography offers shelter.

It has been centuries since the fall of the ten consecrated orders known as the Knights Radiant, but their Shardblades and Shardplate remain: mystical swords and suits of armor that transform ordinary men into near-invincible warriors. Men trade kingdoms for Shardblades. Wars were fought for them, and won by them.

One such war rages on a ruined landscape called the Shattered Plains. There, Kaladin, who traded his medical apprenticeship for a spear to protect his little brother, has been reduced to slavery. In a war that makes no sense, where ten armies fight separately against a single foe, he struggles to save his men and to fathom the leaders who consider them expendable.

Brightlord Dalinar Kholin commands one of those other armies. Like his brother, the late king, he is fascinated by an ancient text called The Way of Kings. Troubled by over-powering visions of ancient times and the Knights Radiant, he has begun to doubt his own sanity.

Across the ocean, an untried young woman named Shallan seeks to train under an eminent scholar and notorious heretic, Dalinar's niece, Jasnah. Though she genuinely loves learning, Shallan's motives are less than pure. As she plans a daring theft, her research for Jasnah hints at secrets of the Knights Radiant and the true cause of the war.

The result of over ten years of planning, writing, and world-building, The Way of Kings is but the opening movement of the Stormlight Archive, a bold masterpiece in the making.

Speak again the ancient oaths:

Life before death.
Strength before weakness.
Journey before Destination.

and return to men the Shards they once bore.

The Knights Radiant must stand again.

4 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I'll be skipping, because I'm not ready (once I start The Stormlight Archive I plan on reading every published book in one go), but will just say that this is supposed to be one of the best fantasy books of the 21st century, if not ever.  So I'm jelly.

I understand the all in one go. Some series Im like, next book now plz (looking at you Jim butcher and the second cinder spires book). 

I did start the Dune read a long if you prefer to read that this month. 

Editorials Team · Posted
41 minutes ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

I understand the all in one go. Some series Im like, next book now plz (looking at you Jim butcher and the second cinder spires book). 

I did start the Dune read a long if you prefer to read that this month. 

I might, since that one one appears to have a 3 month time frame.  The problem is I've been telling myself I was gonna start the Malazan series for over a year now (originally it was July 1, 2020, but then we were moving all summer, and then it was January 1, 2021, but I wasn't finished with all of the other series I had started, and then I finally set a hard date of July 1, 2021).

So when I'm finally done with that in 12-18 months I can either start Stormlight, or start Wheel of Time over from scratch 😆

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 12:20 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

So when I'm finally done with that in 12-18 months I can either start Stormlight, or start Wheel of Time over from scratch 😆

Detailed statistics for braids tugged and skirts smoothed in Wheel of Time:

Book braids tugged skirts smoothed arms crossed/folded beneath breasts ears boxed mustaches knuckled
New Spring 1 5 5 0 0
The Eye of the World 1 1 1 0 3
The Great Hunt 0 1 0 4 2
The Dragon Reborn 20 3 3 1 2
The Shadow Rising 6 5 0 7 2
The Fires of Heaven 3 12 16 13 4
Lord of Chaos 11 16 6 7 7
A Crown of Swords 1 23 6 11 4
The Path of Daggers 2 13 3 13 2
Winter's Heart 1 14 4 4 2
Crossroads of Twilight 1 16 10 3 3
Knife of Dreams 5 12 5 4 5
The Gathering Storm 6 1 5 1 5
Towers of Midnight 2 0 6 2 3
A Memory of Light 0 1 10 0 5
Total 60 123 80 70 49
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted
11 minutes ago, G-type said:

Detailed statistics for braids tugged and skirts smoothed in Wheel of Time:

Book braids tugged skirts smoothed arms crossed/folded beneath breasts ears boxed mustaches knuckled
New Spring 1 5 5 0 0
The Eye of the World 1 1 1 0 3
The Great Hunt 0 1 0 4 2
The Dragon Reborn 20 3 3 1 2
The Shadow Rising 6 5 0 7 2
The Fires of Heaven 3 12 16 13 4
Lord of Chaos 11 16 6 7 7
A Crown of Swords 1 23 6 11 4
The Path of Daggers 2 13 3 13 2
Winter's Heart 1 14 4 4 2
Crossroads of Twilight 1 16 10 3 3
Knife of Dreams 5 12 5 4 5
The Gathering Storm 6 1 5 1 5
Towers of Midnight 2 0 6 2 3
A Memory of Light 0 1 10 0 5
Total 60 123 80 70 49

My wife read all the books and she's asking why there's no column for "Axes thumbed".

• Like 2

Just finished part one and starting the first interlude. With the two story lines, it is still easy to follow them without mixing them up. I do hope to see 

Spoiler

Kal and Shallan come together. It seems their stories are heading for one another. For Kal to leave the slave life and somehow run into Shallan. Hopefully that's not just wishful thinking haha.

I already plan on purchasing the other books come payday 🙃🙃

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

This is the point where I plug Mistborn for being awesome as well.  Some day (if the club is still going) I'll request that for the reading.

I really liked mistborn, well the first two at least. I tried to read the third and I uhhh haven't finished it yet. It just didn't grasp at me like the first two. 

Editorials Team · Posted
7 hours ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

I really liked mistborn, well the first two at least. I tried to read the third and I uhhh haven't finished it yet. It just didn't grasp at me like the first two. 

I'd get on it.  Very satisfying way to wrap everything up imo

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted

Finally started it tonight and read part 1, the first 200ish pages. Should only take me a few days to finish at this rate. Really into both main storylines already which kind of surprises me as my brother wasn’t a big fan of the book, and we usually match up pretty well. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, doner24 said:

Finally started it tonight and read part 1, the first 200ish pages. Should only take me a few days to finish at this rate. Really into both main storylines already which kind of surprises me as my brother wasn’t a big fan of the book, and we usually match up pretty well. 

Yay! It's a good one, I'm excited to read the next when I finish this one. 

Question for everyone, I'm currently a chicken with no head planning a wedding just over a month away. 

Would people be interested in having choice of finishing this or continuing dune next month? 

Once this wedding is done I'll have more time to get back to reading finally. 

We can move to new books next month is that is what everyone would like to do. 

Moderator · Posted
On 7/26/2021 at 6:39 AM, SailorScoutMandy said:

Question for everyone, I'm currently a chicken with no head planning a wedding just over a month away. 

Would people be interested in having choice of finishing this or continuing dune next month? 

Once this wedding is done I'll have more time to get back to reading finally. 

We can move to new books next month is that is what everyone would like to do. 

I’d be down with finishing this. Have been busy the last week. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Editorials Team · Posted
26 minutes ago, G-type said:

I'm up to part 3... just had to return my copy to the library again and put it back on reserve. It says its going to be a 15 week wait 😞 hopefully I won't forget what's going on.

I literally have 3 copies, I should have just mailed one 😂