IGNORED

hangtabs on PS1 sealed games

I have a bunch of sealed PS1 games with the hangtab sticker on the back. I heard you are supposed to take it out before getting it graded or it will affect your grade.. is that true? any experience with that? the shrink wrap is so delicate I'd rather not touch the hangtab

More serious reply, I actually like to keep as many original stickers on my sealed games as possible. I have heard of stickers slightly affecting a grade if they are covering the title/main part of cover art. But not sure if that's true or not. 

I love the stickers from stores that aren't in business anymore, such a neat part of history imo. If you do need something to remove stickers, look up Bestine. 

Edited by epiczail
  • Thanks 1

I assume that when it comes to grading, if a sticker was added at the factory and is removed, even cleanly and perfectly, it would dock the grade. A factory sticker is original so removing it is damage.

Hang tabs are s good example. Now, if a third party added the sticker, that too is damage. It's going to dock the score unless you can cleanly and perfectly remove it would it not affect the score.

Experts, correct me if I'm wrong. That always made sense to me. Even if the factory, consistently but annugly sticker right on the face of a main character on the cover, if that's how it shipped from the factory, that is what the grader would expect. If that's not the Casey, IMHO, that's a fail in the grading process.

46 minutes ago, RH said:

I assume that when it comes to grading, if a sticker was added at the factory and is removed, even cleanly and perfectly, it would dock the grade. A factory sticker is original so removing it is damage.

Hang tabs are s good example. Now, if a third party added the sticker, that too is damage. It's going to dock the score unless you can cleanly and perfectly remove it would it not affect the score.

Experts, correct me if I'm wrong. That always made sense to me. Even if the factory, consistently but annugly sticker right on the face of a main character on the cover, if that's how it shipped from the factory, that is what the grader would expect. If that's not the Casey, IMHO, that's a fail in the grading process.

I have never heard this, I am not sure if WATA/VGA even have this info on stickers that were originally added. 

2 minutes ago, epiczail said:

I have never heard this, I am not sure if WATA/VGA even have this info on stickers that were originally added. 

Well, I understand but sometimes it's obvious like a sticker that says "Free Movie Ticket Inside!"  something like that would infer that they put a coupon in the box at the factory, and then slapped the sticker on it to inform the user.  IMHO, this is 100% part of the original packaging.

And regarding what OP is talking about, most jewel cased PS1 titles had the hang tab sticker which I am quite certain came from SONY that way.  It's original, so removing it is removing original packaging.  To me, that's damaging the complete package and should hurt the score since the hang tab is "original".

• Agree 1