IGNORED

Knuckles chaotix is lame

OptOut

On 5/23/2021 at 4:44 AM, OptOut said:

I love Sonic games but man, this game is weak. This is probably not news to anyone who has played it, but I was just sitting down to finally actually play this one, and damn, lame, no good!

The linked player mechanic is utterly pointless. It only ever impedes the player and never seems worthwhile, fun or in the slightest bit necessary. You can beat almost every level just ignoring the CPU player dangling off of you and cramping your style.

Every level has a very similar design, a lot of verticality, enclosed spaces, and endless repetitive half-loops, bouncers and dead-ends. The levels look different, but the graphics are super busy, even for a sonic game, and the colours clash and make your eyes hurt after a while. There are also few enemies, and the link mechanic makes taking them out a chore.

The real highlights of Sonic games for me, have always been the bonus stages and the bosses. Chaotix shits the bed on both these fronts. The in-stage bonus levels suck, you fall through an endless pit with very little control of your character... I THINK the idea is to grab rings, but you also LOSE rings the whole time you are in there. I usually end up worse off after the bonus stages... What the actual fuck. The end of level bonus stages to get chaos... RINGS... not emeralds for some reason, are better, but no where near as good as Sonic 2 and you can only see a foot in front of you due to draw distance.

As for bosses, you rarely see them. There are 5 zones with 5 levels each and you get a boss at the end. This is a pretty low ratio for sonic games, especially Sonic 3 which has a boss at the end of EVERY level. But, worse, you don't play through levels in order, it's literally random which zone is picked, so chances are you won't play a SINGLE boss stage for practically MOST of the game until right at the end. Awful design.

Other than that, power ups are all lame, the partners you pick have ZERO impact on the game, and this game is full LAME.

Review over. 4 out of ten I guess... Or whatever.

Yeah, Chaotix is a fuckin shit pile with wonderful music.