IGNORED

my sony CRT finally took a crap recomendation for a good flat screen for retro and modern?

Nes Freak

So my 20 dollars craigslist HD crt tv finally died.  lasted a good 5 years so that aint bad.  im debating weather i should fix it or toss it im sure it just needs a recap job. but recapping a tv is a pain in the arse lol  it doesnt work with the zapper very well and i really could care less about playing duck hunt lol.  so my question is what is the best modern way to go with retro gaming setup.  ive heard of the framemeister but those suckers are expensive and im sure there are cheaper alternatives out there by now.  i know i need a tv with low lag.  anyways let me know what works best for you.

Homebrew Team · Posted

Picked up a Retrotink 5X scaler that works quite well on my 4K TV. 

• Even though the name is 5X, it goes beyond 5 times for 240p.  if your TV supports it (up to 1440p). 
  • Cleans up composite well
  • Accepts Component, S-Video, Composite, and Scart (not JP-21)
    • Scart port can double as an additional composite or S-video port with an adapter
  • $275
  • Restocks in June / July
  • Deinterlacing for those consoles that output 480i, which is said to be better than bob and weave techniques
  • Switches resolutions without dropping signal (I.e. games that have different resolutions for gameplay vs menus) 
  • https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/5x-pro

That said, I still prefer using a CRT, however that is just a preference.  Been using it for FC twin over composite at 1440p and it looks really good.

ECU Professor has been posting pictures, you can scroll through their timeline, if you want to see what the results are compared to other devices.

1 hour ago, Deadeye said:

Picked up a Retrotink 5X scaler that works quite well on my 4K TV. 

• Even though the name is 5X, it goes beyond 5 times for 240p.  if your TV supports it (up to 1440p). 
  • Cleans up composite well
  • Accepts Component, S-Video, Composite, and Scart (not JP-21)
    • Scart port can double as an additional composite or S-video port with an adapter
  • $275
  • Restocks in June / July
  • Deinterlacing for those consoles that output 480i, which is said to be better than bob and weave techniques
  • Switches resolutions without dropping signal (I.e. games that have different resolutions for gameplay vs menus) 
  • https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/5x-pro

That said, I still prefer using a CRT, however that is just a preference.  Been using it for FC twin over composite at 1440p and it looks really good.

ECU Professor has been posting pictures, you can scroll through their timeline, if you want to see what the results are compared to other devices.

cool i will look in to that  thank you for the tip!

6 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

Get a high end Samsung tv.  I have always had one at any given time and have never once experienced lag from any console.  They will be pricey, but if you can swing it, very worth it.

i can swing it  but right now im in a tight spot so i dont really want to.  i might just end up fixing my tv.  thank you for the input!  i did look up and people point to 32 in samsung qled tv

• Like 1

I would just go to a local recycling depot and pick up a new one for free. I still see 'high end' CRTs for free all the time at my local depot. JVC i'art, Sony Wega, etc. etc.

Still lots on the local marketplace pages for free as well as long as you are able to pick them up. For what it's worth I've never found a 'modern' TV without some lag. It can be extremely minimal but you can still tell with certain games (ex. MTPO) compared to a crt.

• Thanks 1

I'd check also with that old displaylag.com site just because if you pop in the maker, model number etc in there it will give a true rating on what you're dealing with on potential ms in display lag.  Ideally you want to be in the upper 20s or less short of just buying the largest PC style LCD you can find as those don't have the problem.

When I've picked up the last few TVs I've got I've used that place to feel out what to buy before paying and it hasn't failed me on being able to play even more timing picky titles.

• Thanks 1