IGNORED

Super Mario Land (GB) US box variants: what exactly are they?

AdamW

Thanks a lot! Can you check for a tab code? That'd be useful to have too (and date code if it has one).

There definitely seem to be several Canadian box variants just like there are for the US, I should get around to figuring them out sometime.

BTW, I did know about and mention the Canadian prints in the original post 😄 That's why the thread title specifically says "US" for now, because I didn't have the patience to get into the Canadian ones yet.

Edited by AdamW

1 hour ago, AdamW said:

Thanks a lot! Can you check for a tab code? That'd be useful to have too (and date code if it has one).

There definitely seem to be several Canadian box variants just like there are for the US, I should get around to figuring them out sometime.

BTW, I did know about and mention the Canadian prints in the original post 😄 That's why the thread title specifically says "US" for now, because I didn't have the patience to get into the Canadian ones yet.

It's DMG-ML CAN (00703)

Yeah honestly I only brought it up because I noticed the UPCs were exactly the same... seemed pretty odd considering it's obviously a different region with the added French! 

I was pondering selling on eBay but I have no clue if there's a market for oddball bilingual Canadian carts here in the US!

They do sell on eBay. Whether to Canadians or Americans I dunno. Someone would probably buy it just to have an SML box in fairly nice shape (it looks like).

Looks like that print is from around the same time as US print #4, DMG-ML USA [YS5LWM].

• 3 months later...
On 4/15/2021 at 12:48 PM, DefaultGen said:

Here are some more date codes. Not sure on the exact variants, just a pic I stole from IG.

1Kzuzjm.jpg

Hey that's my pic! Those are 9 print runs I've been able to discover, I'm sure there are at least a few more that exist. I still own all those in my collection so let me if any details or clarifications are needed for any of them.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

• 1 year later...

Hello all, unsure where to find any more information on this topic, you guys are my last hope.

Picked up this copy of SML1, the label looks like your classic reproduction label. Poor print quality, fuzzy and too glossy. However when I opened it the board inside is authentic. 

Is this a label error? Miss print? Does this affect the value at all?

The second image is a comparison image i found of someone who had the same concern but went unresolved. Mine looks like the one on the right. Thanks!

20220922_094722.jpg

db4oeeewwzy61.jpg

Edited by sekulaid

Many SML labels I've found are hyper-glossy, so I wouldn't be worried about that.  From time to time, I've also seen inconsistent printing.  I think that's because the three (or probably four for CMYK) layers of printing are sometimes a little off and this creates semi-blurry images.

The label looks legit to me.  I don't think the quality of the printing really affects the value.  The easiest way so far to check if a copy of a game is legit is to look at the bottom-right of the label.  You should see two digits pressed into it.  Compare them to any GB cart.  These indentions are facility/line codes from manufacturing and were used for tracking in case there were shipped defects.

I've not seen bootlegs with these impressions.  I think others might have seen them, but the fake ones are easy to spot because the size/font/pressure of these indentions have not been matched.  If those markings look similar to other GB games (again, any legit GB title) you should have a legit label.

I can't believe how quick you guys are to respond, seriously greatful! Yeah it has the factory stamp on the front label "00 A" is what's impressioned. Does the misprint/ error increase value at all? 

I had some concerns with the box being authentic aswell because I'm not used to the boxes being glossy. Supposedly GB games have glossy boxes? 

Thanks! 

2 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

Can you post pictures of the boxes?

Nintendo boxes are coated so there’s a natural semi gloss to them. 

So funny story, I bought a CIB copy Super Mario Land 2 and Super Mario Land 1 was what was included inside. 😂. No biggy because I didn't own SML1 previously and still get to complete my copy of SML2.

Attached are some pics. Box shows signs of age and wear so I feel like it's legit. Just not use to the gloss and don't have another box to reference it with.

20220921_204619.jpg

20220921_204627.jpg

20220921_204900.jpg

20220921_204640.jpg

4 minutes ago, sekulaid said:

I can't believe how quick you guys are to respond, seriously greatful! Yeah it has the factory stamp on the front label "00 A" is what's impressioned. Does the misprint/ error increase value at all? 

I had some concerns with the box being authentic aswell because I'm not used to the boxes being glossy. Supposedly GB games have glossy boxes? 

Thanks! 

I don't consider anything about this as a true misprint.  Misprints are pretty evident, even to a casual eye, and I'm not aware of any for SML.  I've also seen these semi-blurry SMLs so this is common for this game.  Like I said, it's not truly blurry from a poor quality and just more an artifact of print.

However, legit errors/defects can very in price.  For instance, DuckTales has a mistake on the serial number for the initial, and primary copy available.  The game is "DMT-DT-USA" rather than starting with the correct "DMG".  This typo was fixed when THQ re-released the game, and that version is "DMG-DT-USA".  I don't think too many people are paying attention to these details like some of us around here, but both copies go for the same amount.  The DMG version is less common for sure, but it's by no means rare.

However, occasionally people find various errors and misprints for games and usually, if they are extremely rare or single-known copies with that type of issue, they can go for a bit more than the standard price. Nothing crazy, but a typical error/misprint might add $20-100, spitballing, to an item.  It's very subjective though.

2 minutes ago, sekulaid said:

So funny story, I bought a CIB copy Super Mario Land 2 and Super Mario Land 1 was what was included inside. 😂. No biggy because I didn't own SML1 previously and still get to complete my copy of SML2.

Attached are some pics. Box shows signs of age and wear so I feel like it's legit. Just not use to the gloss and don't have another box to reference it with.

20220921_204619.jpg

20220921_204627.jpg

20220921_204900.jpg

20220921_204640.jpg

Looks find to me.  I'm not sure who would fake a CIB SML2 and then beat it up.  This isn't a super expensive title unless it's a first run and in great shape.

Unrelated, but that Metroid 2 pack-in poster is one of my favorite pack-in posters of all time!  I love seeing one every time it's posted.

1 minute ago, RH said:

Looks find to me.  I'm not sure who would fake a CIB SML2 and then beat it up.  This isn't a super expensive title unless it's a first run and in great shape.

Unrelated, but that Metroid 2 pack-in poster is one of my favorite pack-in posters of all time!  I love seeing one every time it's posted.

I love this forum already. Definitely sticking around. Yeah, I got everything for 50 CAD from an older gentleman locally. Didn't seem like a scamming type and the game has been mass produced so it's not worth that much at all... not much sense from a scamming perspective.

When I got home to inspect everything the glossy box and printing defects on the cartridge took me for a whirl trying to authenticate it. It's an English/ French copy of SML1 in an American SML2 box? Oof.

Just for my understanding tho, this is an American first print copy of SML2 

You guys are great, seriously appreciated. 

1 minute ago, MiamiSlice said:

It’s a Canadian cart in a Canadian box. In Canada they include French for the Québécois.

There's no French printed on the back of box, only on the side of the SML1 cartridge. Inside box tab also says DMG MQ USA.

I think I've seen the Canadian box variant and it's a bit different.

20220922_112429.jpg

• 4 months later...

So I bought the 4th print of Super Mario Land in 2021, and noticed that the health and safety precautions booklet was not present. I found this thread recently as I was interested in ensuring that all of my CIB games have their corresponding inserts and manuals and stuff. The old eBay listing in this thread did not have a clear code for the booklet (nor is it available anymore). However, I found a recently-sold listing that does! It is DMG-USA-8. See this listing (sold on December 19th, 2022) here.

I also included photos from the listing for when it eventually gets taken down on eBay's side.

s-l1600-11.jpeg

s-l1600-01.jpeg

Super Mario Land Listing.png

• Like 1