IGNORED

Gaming for different moods/occasions

GPX

As humans, we often have mood changes. We smile, we laugh, we cry, we frown, we get angry, we cuss...you get the idea!

So the topic here is simple: are there certain games/genres you go to when your mood changes? What about in certain occasions, do you favor certain game(s) over all others?

For example, when I feel stress from work, or after an argument with the partner, I often jump into Geometry Wars - blasting everything I see without the need to use many brain cells. 

Through my recent illness I've been working through, I play a lot of Hill Climber 2 on mobile. It's a fun racing game for a mobile phone app, but I play it because I don't have the stamina for anything that doesn't require simple touch screen interactions.

So in my case, when I'm not feeling well, it's "simple app phone games". I did get through Fire Watch on my Switch last month. It was nice to get the Switch back in my hands for a time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RH said:

Through my recent illness I've been working through, I play a lot of Hill Climber 2 on mobile. It's a fun racing game for a mobile phone app, but I play it because I don't have the stamina for anything that doesn't require simple touch screen interactions.

So in my case, when I'm not feeling well, it's "simple app phone games". I did get through Fire Watch on my Switch last month. It was nice to get the Switch back in my hands for a time.

Sorry to hear of your current health. Hope you’re on the mend!

Not sure how serious your situation is, but it reminds me of a time when I had bad chickenpox in year 11. I was bedbound for nearly 2 weeks with severe lethargy and a whole lot of itching!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GPX said:

As humans, we often have mood changes. We smile, we laugh, we cry, we frown, we get angry, we cuss...you get the idea!

Not applicable to 49% of the human population!

..... I kid, I kid...

EDIT, actually, for me, it's all about gaming music when I'm in a particular mood.  Music really resonates differently with me, depending on how I'm feeling...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Not applicable to 49% of the human population!

..... I kid, I kid...

EDIT, actually, for me, it's all about gaming music when I'm in a particular mood.  Music really resonates differently with me, depending on how I'm feeling...

That’s interesting to me, I’ve always picked a game for the gameplay. I see music as a bonus feature, not the main draw card. Can you give an example or two of the type of music that drives your mood?

On 4/2/2021 at 9:05 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

...actually, for me, it's all about gaming music when I'm in a particular mood.  Music really resonates differently with me, depending on how I'm feeling...

I think I'm rather the same way. Music is a much better barometer of mood for me than the choice of games I play. I was trying to think if there was a particular habit that I had for playing certain games or genres depending on how I was feeling...but I don't really think I could find an example.

Music (and gaming music) though...I certainly seem to have my listening patterns depending on how I'm feeling.

If I'm feeling content and cheerful, a bouncy Mario soundtrack or something else "cutesy" usually fits the bill. If I'm energetic, put on some riffs from a fighting game or a shooter like Doom. If I'm feeling a bit serious or stoic, Castlevania or Mega Man might do the trick. If I'm sad, somber adventure music or orchestral renditions of soundtracks are often a nice place to park it.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1