IGNORED

So I recently watched The Godfather... goombah

I had forgotten that goombah was in the movie and of course most of us know it as a dangerous walking mushroom, but there is a connection 🙂

https://blogs.harvard.edu/ethicalesq/goomba-goombah-gumba-gumbah/

The earliest sense found in English is ‘a friend or associate’. This is first found in the mid 1950s, and seems to have been popularized by Rocky Graziano . . The second, and most familiar, sense is ‘a mafia boss; a mafioso’, or broadly ‘any organized crime figure’. The first known use of this sense is in Mario Puzo’s 1969 novel The Godfather, the origin, of course, of the movie: [Hollywood producer Jack Woltz tells Ed Hagen:] “I don’t care how many guinea Mafia goombahs come out of the woodwork.” Finally, the English-only sense is ‘a stupid person’, first found in the 1950s but not common until the 1980s. This is presumably based on stereotyped portrayals of low-level mafiosi as ignorant, loutish types.

The SMB goombahs are Bower's henchmen and thus I assume fall into the "any organized crime figure" (hitmen...shrooms) types. Although, they are rather stupid too.

• Like 2

Story time. When I was young, my father used to allegedly get angry at my brother and I for talking gibberish words. Later after looking through a game guide or a box or something, he realised that my brother and I weren't speaking nonsense when we were talking about koopas and goombas.

The story is even funnier to me now, seeing as how we also have words goombah and Japanese have kappa.

From my experiences and basically all of my family on both sides. “Koumbaro” is a term a lot of people use in New York, particularly with Greek and other Mediterranean vendors.

The word is also Greek for “Godfather” and in NYC It’s used like this:

“Hey Koumbaro, let me get a shishkabob with lemon and hot sauce.”

Now put a heavy New York accent on it and it sounds like “Goom bado”

New York being a mixing pot and all, the word might have shifted around here and there and voila, Goomba becomes a term used as the way mentioned in the above article.