IGNORED

Tracking numbers possibly compromised with usps and ups. Thoughts?

Matthewnimmo

So, while i was at a local target doing a curbside pick up. I was refreshing my tracking numbers to see where my packages are at today. Then I realized something, i saw that my stupid iphone had randomly connected to some random wifi. Looks like someone might had setup a public wifi to intercept traffic. The only thing i did during that time was refresh usps and ups tracking. So its possible that whomever that was camping that target got all my tracking numbers. Should i be worried??!

thanks in advance, kind of freaking out right now

what can they do with your tracking number? Are they hacking the usps as well?

I mean it doesnt have much info other than destination city? departure city? sort facility location?

I think there is more danger someone taking it off your porch.

Edited by Quest4Nes
  • Like 3

Administrator · Posted
9 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

what can they do with your tracking number? Are they hacking the usps as well?

I mean it doesnt have much info other than destination city? departure city? sort facility location?

I think there is more danger someone taking it off your porch.

^^^This.  As long as you didn't log into your UPS or USPS account and were just checking tracking, they can't do any package redirects or anything crazy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

^^^This.  As long as you didn't log into your UPS or USPS account and were just checking tracking, they can't do any package redirects or anything crazy.

That was my fear that they could call up usps and ups and say “hey here is my tracking number. Id like to reroute that to my second home here”. And the workers being like “ok sir!  Since you’ve got your tracking number i guess this is legit!”

but then i realized a few things. While i cannot find anything in their policy that states they will confirm the identity before doing something like that i would hope they would ask for more information. Secondly, while they should not be passing a tracking number as part of the querystring in the url; they at least have it through ssl so the most someone could have seen was the length of the url and nothing more

thankfully I didn’t login 

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Matthewnimmo said:

So yeah, pretty sure i was just paranoid. Most packages i was concerned about has showed up. But two, these have been sitting in the same usps distribution center since the first. Was originally shipped on dec 21st. Any others waiting this long with usps?

Yes.