IGNORED

Super Game Boy Audio Issues?

rdrunner

I recently picked up an old SNES Super Game Boy that plays fine but has some audio issues.  It can always play the chime when turning on the console, but after that roughly half my games have almost zero sound.

For example, Donkey Kong '94 has no music but Pauline still screams "Help!!!" at the start of every level, but other games like Metroid 2 play perfectly with sound.

I did some online searches on the topic and saw a variety of stuff that suggested everything from replacing sound plugs to simple cleaning, but not sure exactly what to do.

Any chance that the pins are just dirty?  I don't have a cleaning kit, so would be interested in knowing if anyone knows a good DIY alternative. I thought of doing the old Q-Tip trick that I use on my games, but it's tough to get between the pins on a console (cotton gets stuck).

If it's more than that, not sure where to start or if it's even worth the effort.  Off hand, I would need to invest in a star screwdriver and figure out where to buy parts.  I don't want to pay more than it's worth to fix.

Any thoughts appreciated.  Thanks!

8 hours ago, rdrunner said:

Any chance that the pins are just dirty?  I don't have a cleaning kit, so would be interested in knowing if anyone knows a good DIY alternative. I thought of doing the old Q-Tip trick that I use on my games, but it's tough to get between the pins on a console (cotton gets stuck).

If it's more than that, not sure where to start or if it's even worth the effort.  Off hand, I would need to invest in a star screwdriver and figure out where to buy parts.  I don't want to pay more than it's worth to fix.

Any thoughts appreciated.  Thanks!

Well yeah.  Do you have like one of those thin silky glasses wipe rags?  Take that pull tight around a credit card, then cover the rag/card in alcohol, and start going to town on the pins giving it a good rub down.  Give it a few moments to dry, then see what happens.  Do the same using a q-tip on the cart too just in case both are together making it happen.  Other than that, probably the cart is having some issue, and they're cheap enough not to even be worth repairing unless it's an easy fix with what you have.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cartman said:

Not a brand new just a "new" one as in something that you just bought.

But it can very easily be just as if not more filthy (contacts) than the other one.  Several years back when I was seriously building my cartridge collection do you have any idea how much I had to clean some of those games to get them to work "first time/every time"?  Still better than getting a disc all scratched up I suppose...

1 hour ago, Estil said:

But it can very easily be just as if not more filthy (contacts) than the other one.  Several years back when I was seriously building my cartridge collection do you have any idea how much I had to clean some of those games to get them to work "first time/every time"?  Still better than getting a disc all scratched up I suppose...

It can but most of the time it's pretty damn reliable. SNES software don't really have that issue much anyway in my experience it's more of a NES thing where it starts blinking and you have to fuck around with cleaning the contacts. And if you do have to on a SNES game it's gonna be running smooth after that. This isn't a game as such but it's the same thing.

9 minutes ago, cartman said:

It can but most of the time it's pretty damn reliable. SNES software don't really have that issue much anyway in my experience it's more of a NES thing where it starts blinking and you have to fuck around with cleaning the contacts. And if you do have to on a SNES game it's gonna be running smooth after that. This isn't a game as such but it's the same thing.

Having the top loader helps but you still have to have the games clean too.  I can't believe we already gotten to the point where I recently had to clean the contacts inside my Game Boy Player (which came out right around when I finished college...where does the time go....?)

1 hour ago, Estil said:

Having the top loader helps but you still have to have the games clean too.  I can't believe we already gotten to the point where I recently had to clean the contacts inside my Game Boy Player (which came out right around when I finished college...where does the time go....?)

They aren't sensitive that's all i'm saying. I've never had to clean the GBP.

I've never had to either (GBPlayer), but it's also newer than the others and honestly got far less use being stuck on a TV.  I've had to clean some handhelds I've taken in, games definitely, they'll moan and throw the glitchy Nintendo scroll down(Gameboy) even when they look clean.

I just got in the mail yesterday 3 more GB games and I put some time on them yesterday, cleaning, then playing, and one needed an added run of cleaning.  I usually when lazy will use my licensed cleaning kits, but if not it's straight up security bit + folded over shred of bounty paper towel + dousing of 91% alcohol = my thumb rubbing firmly over the pins until they shine and the white towel stays white.  Works 99% of the time.  Sometimes you get the invisible rot, and then you're into magic eraser you wet the same, or the obscenely rare case of a pitted pin or crusty, I'll take it as far as fine grit sandpaper than pay for another copy. 😄  I know someone just cringed at that.  Years ago when Battletoads was running a $30 price, I got one for $10 I had to give the grit, worked like a dream after. 😄

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I've never had to either (GBPlayer), but it's also newer than the others and honestly got far less use being stuck on a TV.  I've had to clean some handhelds I've taken in, games definitely, they'll moan and throw the glitchy Nintendo scroll down(Gameboy) even when they look clean.

As my 11th grade Geometry teacher often said, you can't go by looks! 😄