Jump to content
IGNORED

Sword of the Necromancer - Kickstarter


avatar!
 Share

Recommended Posts

Turn your foes into allies in this Dungeon Crawler Action RPG with Rogue-like elements

Their goal was $16,000 and they have raised over $100k. Eight days left in the kickstarter. Collector's edition looks quite nice.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jandusoft/sword-of-the-necromancer/description

 

Edited by avatar!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I looked a bit into this game... I don't know. Here are a few things I learned

1)When you die, you lose HALF your level! Level 10 -> level 5

2)You also lose ALL your equipped items - ALL of them...

Does this sound fun? I really want another game in the vein of say Rogue Legacy, but this sounds frustrating, and not in a it's a real challenge such as Dark Souls, more in a gritty sort of way where you have to level up again and again because you will die and lose HALF your levle 😕

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, avatar! said:

So I looked a bit into this game... I don't know. Here are a few things I learned

1)When you die, you lose HALF your level! Level 10 -> level 5

2)You also lose ALL your equipped items - ALL of them...

Does this sound fun? I really want another game in the vein of say Rogue Legacy, but this sounds frustrating, and not in a it's a real challenge such as Dark Souls, more in a gritty sort of way where you have to level up again and again because you will die and lose HALF your levle 😕

Do you not play Roguelikes?

When you die in a real Roguelike, you typically lose EVERYTHING...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Do you not play Roguelikes?

When you die in a real Roguelike, you typically lose EVERYTHING...

What would you consider Rogue Legacy? When you died you lost a percentage of your gold, but were able to make permanent upgrades and thus there was always progress. Here, if you lose half your levels and your items, it seems more frustrating. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, avatar! said:

What would you consider Rogue Legacy? When you died you lost a percentage of your gold, but were able to make permanent upgrades and thus there was always progress. Here, if you lose half your levels and your items, it seems more frustrating. 

With true Roguelikes, the only "permanent" upgrades are to your own skills and knowledge as a player.

They don't have anything persistent, other than maybe unlocked content being accessible in-game (though still needing to be acquired in a new game by the player)

 

They are a genre that isn't about cumulative progress.

It is about having a playthrough that threads the needle of a favorable RNG coupled with your cumulative experience helping you better manage risk.

 

 

EDIT:  I haven't played Rogue Legacy, but the description is "platformer with roguelike ELEMENTS".

Typically, that just means shorter coffee-break play sessions with procedurally generated content.

That is quite a bit different than BEING a "Roguelike" (i.e. permadeath is a staple of the core genre)

 

 

 

Edited by arch_8ngel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

With true Roguelikes, the only "permanent" upgrades are to your own skills and knowledge as a player.

They don't have anything persistent, other than maybe unlocked content being accessible in-game (though still needing to be acquired in a new game by the player)

 

They are a genre that isn't about cumulative progress.

It is about having a playthrough that threads the needle of a favorable RNG coupled with your cumulative experience helping you better manage risk.

Yeah, that's why I don't like true rouge games. I read there's various debates on rougue-like and rougue-lite etc etc.

Personally, I just don't have fun if there's no progress. Challenge is one thing, having to do the same thing over and over, relying just on RNG and memorization (arguably "skill", arguably) not for me. Which is why I'm questioning whether I will enjoy this game, although it's clearly not hardcore rogue. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Yeah, that's why I don't like true rouge games. I read there's various debates on rougue-like and rougue-lite etc etc.

Personally, I just don't have fun if there's no progress. Challenge is one thing, having to do the same thing over and over, relying just on RNG and memorization (arguably "skill", arguably) not for me. Which is why I'm questioning whether I will enjoy this game, although it's clearly not hardcore rogue. 

If it doesn't have permadeath it could be considered rogue-LITE at best.

There is no "memorization" to speak of... that is the point of a rogue-like -- every playthrough is different.

And once you've learned the mechanics of the game, it is about devising strategy and managing resources and tactics so that you can hedge against an unfavorable RNG.

*though something like Darkest Dungeon walks a fine line of giving individual characters permadeath within your larger growing town*

 

 

 

Games like DoomRL and ADOM, rogue-like-to-the-core, can be beaten on hardest settings with essentially no blessing from the RNG... IF YOU ARE GOOD.

They just aren't particularly forgiving if you do something careless.

But when the RNG DOES favor you... you get that little tickle of gambler's high 😛

They are a really satisfying genre when you manage to learn the games well enough to win once in awhile.

But VERY similar to Tetris -- you need to go in expect to lose, a lot.

Edited by arch_8ngel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Seems confusing to name it so similar to Crypt of the Necromancer.

Crypt of the NecroDANCER...

(which is another fun example of a permadeath-based Roguelike with layers actual reflex practice/skill on top of learning how the tactical situations work in-game)

Edited by arch_8ngel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Editorials Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Crypt of the NecroDANCER...

(which is another fun example of a permadeath-based Roguelike with layers actual reflex practice/skill on top of learning how the tactical situations work in-game)

That's what that nagging feeling in my brain was...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

If it doesn't have permadeath it could be considered rogue-LITE at best.

There is no "memorization" to speak of... that is the point of a rogue-like -- every playthrough is different.

And once you've learned the mechanics of the game, it is about devising strategy and managing resources and tactics so that you can hedge against an unfavorable RNG.

*though something like Darkest Dungeon walks a fine line of giving individual characters permadeath within your larger growing town*

 

 

 

Games like DoomRL and ADOM, rogue-like-to-the-core, can be beaten on hardest settings with essentially no blessing from the RNG... IF YOU ARE GOOD.

They just aren't particularly forgiving if you do something careless.

But when the RNG DOES favor you... you get that little tickle of gambler's high 😛

They are a really satisfying genre when you manage to learn the games well enough to win once in awhile.

But VERY similar to Tetris -- you need to go in expect to lose, a lot.

It comes down to personal taste of course, I'm just not a fan of permadeath, for the most part. It's interesting that you mentioned Darkest Dungeon. I never considered that Rogue or Rogue-like. Although you could permanently lose characters, you could easily upgrade other characters that were very similar, and you never actually lost much if any progress. So that's the thing, I don't know if in this case you just have to backtrack a lot and remake lost grounds or not? I realize that every playthrough will be different, but to me it comes down to again whether you're making permanent progress - able to upgrade "things" that remain upgraded forever. In Darkest Dungeon you could upgrade the town and it always felt like you were working towards the ultimate goal of finishing the eponymous title. I really did NOT enjoy Enter the Gungeon. I really DID love Rogue Legacy and Darkest Dungeon. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, avatar! said:

It comes down to personal taste of course, I'm just not a fan of permadeath, for the most part. It's interesting that you mentioned Darkest Dungeon. I never considered that Rogue or Rogue-like. Although you could permanently lose characters, you could easily upgrade other characters that were very similar, and you never actually lost much if any progress. So that's the thing, I don't know if in this case you just have to backtrack a lot and remake lost grounds or not? I realize that every playthrough will be different, but to me it comes down to again whether you're making permanent progress - able to upgrade "things" that remain upgraded forever. In Darkest Dungeon you could upgrade the town and it always felt like you were working towards the ultimate goal of finishing the eponymous title. I really did NOT enjoy Enter the Gungeon. I really DID love Rogue Legacy and Darkest Dungeon. 

If you have a party-wipe in Darkest Dungeon you could lose quite a bit of investment/gear.  And even losing individual upgraded characters can be frustrating (though not the "full permadeath treatment" of a more traditional roguelike).

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

If you have a party-wipe in Darkest Dungeon you could lose quite a bit of investment/gear.  And even losing individual upgraded characters can be frustrating (though not the "full permadeath treatment" of a more traditional roguelike).

Actually you can get your trinkets back from the Shrieker if you have a full party wipe. 

Also, more importantly you never lose the work you put into the town. 

I think the way Darkest Dungeon handled everything was nearly perfect. I'm on the fence about this game. I think Sword of the Necromancer might be too much like Guneon and not enough like Rogue Legacy, but I haven't made up my mind quite yet. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Actually you can get your trinkets back from the Shrieker if you have a full party wipe. 

Also, more importantly you never lose the work you put into the town. 

I think the way Darkest Dungeon handled everything was nearly perfect. I'm on the fence about this game. I think Sword of the Necromancer might be too much like Guneon and not enough like Rogue Legacy, but I haven't made up my mind quite yet. 

 

Give something like ADOM or DoomRL a try to see how some "true" Roguelikes have evolved over the last 20 years.  BOth of those have had significant updates in that time while retaining the core concepts.

And you can get a handful of playthroughs on them to get a sense of how you feel about their permadeath, versus the overall play experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
3 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Give something like ADOM or DoomRL a try to see how some "true" Roguelikes have evolved over the last 20 years.  BOth of those have had significant updates in that time while retaining the core concepts.

And you can get a handful of playthroughs on them to get a sense of how you feel about their permadeath, versus the overall play experience.

ADOM does look cool. Although, let me ask, is there also permanent upgrades etc? Or is it back to scratch when you die? 

Back to scratch is too hardcore for me. Heck even Super Mario Bros. had half-way points and levels so you never started back at the very beginning - well, unless you lost ALL your lives! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, avatar! said:

ADOM does look cool. Although, let me ask, is there also permanent upgrades etc? Or is it back to scratch when you die? 

Back to scratch is too hardcore for me. Heck even Super Mario Bros. had half-way points and levels so you never started back at the very beginning - well, unless you lost ALL your lives! 

ADOM is all or nothing.  (though you can save-scum if you are into that sort of thing -- you just have to do it manually)

But it is satisfying to learn your way through the game if you don't spoil it too early with FAQs

 

It is one of the more elaborate-but-still-playable Roguelikes out there.  Some get too complicated for their own good, but ADOM strikes a pretty good balance while still be quite deep.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
44 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

ADOM is all or nothing.  (though you can save-scum if you are into that sort of thing -- you just have to do it manually)

But it is satisfying to learn your way through the game if you don't spoil it too early with FAQs

 

It is one of the more elaborate-but-still-playable Roguelikes out there.  Some get too complicated for their own good, but ADOM strikes a pretty good balance while still be quite deep.

 

The all or nothing is too hardcore for me. I wouldn't have the patience for it. Darkest Dungeon I played for hours and loved it, even if I lost some people along the way. But, DD is far from all or nothing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, avatar! said:

The all or nothing is too hardcore for me. I wouldn't have the patience for it. Darkest Dungeon I played for hours and loved it, even if I lost some people along the way. But, DD is far from all or nothing. 

It exercises your patience... it builds character! 😛

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
3 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Well, you're missing out if you skip ADOM, IMO.  And that is one that is still pretty interesting and challenging, even if you save-scum. 

I'm sure there are lots of interesting and challenging games I'm missing out on, and ADOM will just be one of them 🙂

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


  • Welcome to VGS!

    Play, Make, Collect.

    Here at VGS all kinds of gamers are welcome, and that includes you!

    Join the conversation!

×
×
  • Create New...