Jump to content
IGNORED

Mr Gimmick! Glitch


Recommended Posts

I have what I believe is an original PAL B Mr Gimmick cart with very clean contacts.

However, when playing, the bottom diaplay/hud does not appear and there seems to be an error on the title screen.

I have played on avs and top loader unit.

Is there anything that I should be looking for here? Just live with it?

 

 

20200313_231503.jpg

20200313_231435.jpg

Edited by toothbrushes
Photos not clear
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That game wont fully work on an NSTC system because it was coded for PAL TVS/NES consoles.  Its a misconception that all you have to do is bypass the lockout chip for PAL games to work.  Some work fine just sped up (as they all will do unless it was coded into the game to recognize PAL/NTSC), or itll glitch but be playable, or be unplayable due to graphics or otherwise.

The only way for that game to properly work is to use some sort of AVS or system that can switch between PAL and NTSC.  The US Prototype Mr. Gimmick repro works perfectly well, just isnt genuine, of course. 


TL;DR:

Set your system to "PAL" on your AVS (I somehow skipped that).

Edited by guitarzombie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

That game wont fully work on an NSTC system because it was coded for PAL TVS/NES consoles.  Its a misconception that all you have to do is bypass the lockout chip for PAL games to work.  Some work fine just sped up (as they all will do unless it was coded into the game to recognize PAL/NTSC), or itll glitch but be playable, or be unplayable due to graphics or otherwise.

The only way for that game to properly work is to use some sort of AVS or system that can switch between PAL and NTSC.  The US Prototype Mr. Gimmick repro works perfectly well, just isnt genuine, of course. 


TL;DR:

Set your system to "PAL" on your AVS (I somehow skipped that).

Thanks. I was dumb and assumed the avs was set to PAL. Works perfectly now

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, toothbrushes said:

Thanks. I was dumb and assumed the avs was set to PAL. Works perfectly now

Great.  One of my favorite games.  I had a US repro of it, and someone gifted me an AVS.  After I thanked him, I cursed him because he just made me have to spend $600 cuz now I had no excuse not to have a real Gimmick haha.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
On 3/14/2020 at 6:03 AM, guitarzombie said:

The only way for that game to properly work is to use some sort of AVS or system that can switch between PAL and NTSC.  The US Prototype Mr. Gimmick repro works perfectly well, just isnt genuine, of course. 

Well, you could also just use a PAL NES.

The Japanese Gimmick! works perfectly on an NTSC NES also, as it's of course designed for an NTSC system. The PAL Mr. Gimmick! was completely readjusted for PAL timing, including the music and movement of characters etc. so it definitely should be played with 50hz timing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/16/2020 at 6:42 AM, Sumez said:

Well, you could also just use a PAL NES.

The Japanese Gimmick! works perfectly on an NTSC NES also, as it's of course designed for an NTSC system. The PAL Mr. Gimmick! was completely readjusted for PAL timing, including the music and movement of characters etc. so it definitely should be played with 50hz timing.

I think it would be silly to buy a PAL NES for only a handful of games.  Also you would also need a wall adapter too.  Oh and possibly a CRT TV with the proper refresh rate.

Edited by guitarzombie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

I think it would be silly to buy a PAL NES for only a handful of games.  Also you would also need a wall adapter too.  Oh and possibly a CRT TV with the proper refresh rate.

No you can use the same wall adaptor from a US set. The rest of it holds true though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
19 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

I think it would be silly to buy a PAL NES for only a handful of games.  Also you would also need a wall adapter too.  Oh and possibly a CRT TV with the proper refresh rate.

It would also be silly to buy an AVS for only a handful of games. If you already have a PAL NES, these are all non-issues.

I was just responding to the misleading claim "the only way for that game to properly work"

Edited by Sumez
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its not silly to have an AVS cuz the AVS does everything.  PAL, NES and Famicom.  PAL NES can only do PAL NES, it'll have the same issues with NTSC US carts.  They just run slower.  The person who mentioned this already HAD an AVS.  Im sure there is only a small percent of people in the US have a PAL NES to play PAL games, and an NTSC one for US.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted

This is really abstract, but it might be worth knowing for someone out there, but I've also discovered that the SunSoft cycle counter also doesn't work on M82 display units for some reason. Even if it's a PAL version, it'll display the same glitch as on the above image. 😮 

And yeah, it's an amazing game. If anyone has a nice looking Famicom copy, and would like to own a boxed PAL one instead, definitely get ahold of me 😉 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


  • Welcome to VGS!

    Play, Make, Collect.

    Here at VGS all kinds of gamers are welcome, and that includes you!

    Join the conversation!

×
×
  • Create New...