IGNORED

Interest Check: Video Game Sage Book Club

zeppelin03

In addition to my game backlog I have a backlog of books I want to read.  Many of which are video game related or similarly themed.  There has been plenty of great stuff written like console wars, legend of localization, as well as tons of fiction based on different series (Ready Player One, etc).  I've been meaning to get to it all but need a little motivation.

This got me thinking others might be in the same boat.  Is anyone interested in a Video Game Sage Book Club of sorts?  Perhaps we pick a title once a month to read through and discuss in its own thread after a couple weeks.  Details could be sorted out along the way.

If this interests you or you have any ideas let me know.  If we have enough interest maybe we can get a thread going for November.

Edited by zeppelin03
  • Like 2

I picked some accessible books below, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have been read.  Also some fiction would be cool if there are any series that interest people. So far a short list is below.  Feel free to add some suggestions and maybe we can get a poll going.

Console Wars

Extra Lives: Why Video Games Matter

Super Mario: How Nintendo Conquered America

14 minutes ago, RalliArtEvo said:

Super Mario could be interesting. I've read the other two, but I'm not opposed to reading again. Maybe we wait to see if we can get some more people involved with suggestions? I'll take a look on Amazon to see if I can find some more ideas.

I'm absolutely for seeing what other suggestions we can get before committing.  Thanks for taking a look at Amazon.  I'm going to dig into it a bit more this evening. 

How close to video games do you want to keep it?

There are a ton of good sci-fi books that deal with video game-like themes (universes like Ready Player One) but aren't strictly about a particular game or games. 

Wasn't sure how much you wanted to keep it specifically to video games. 

16 minutes ago, behemos said:

How close to video games do you want to keep it?

There are a ton of good sci-fi books that deal with video game-like themes (universes like Ready Player One) but aren't strictly about a particular game or games. 

Wasn't sure how much you wanted to keep it specifically to video games. 

Keeping it more open would be great.  Like you said there is tons of great stuff like Ready Player One. My concern is if it is purely video games we would all get burnt out reading history books or something. Adding some fiction whether direct from a game series or following the same themes seems like it would offer some nice variety.

If I have time tonight I may see about forming a Club for this.

Edited by zeppelin03

5 hours ago, zeppelin03 said:

Console Wars

I got this on Audible a while back.  The guy that narrated it, I'd say almost dramatized it, was awesome.  In fact when I was done listening I looked through some YouTube videos of Tom Kalinske and was a little disappointed that he didn't sound like the narrator.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RalliArtEvo said:

Any thoughts on a book choice for November? I think Super Mario is a good choice for a starter book, but open to anything. Still need to look on Amazon for more books. Been a busy week, but I'll try to look tomorrow.

Same. Life's been crazy.

Let's go with Super Mario: How Nintendo Conquered America.  I understand it is likely short notice for people but we hope you can participate. 

I can check into clubs this evening.  Might be a good place to post.