IGNORED

Game rarity to eventually accompany database

This is something that I suggested over at NA that I think was semi-implemented. Basically a dynamic rarity scale based on the number of user that own a game. If we (hopefully) get a collection tracker, for every person that has a game the rarity of it goes down as it is more common. Like anything this is not a perfect scale but it would be more accurate than the moe or less "guess" we operated under NA. The last time I suggested this it was pointed out that if a Quantity parameter was implemented it could be used to swing the rarity of a game. Like if someone claimed to have 100 Stadium Events. I would like to believe no one would do that or maybe the mods could see the most recent quantity changes and who did them to follow up on such a thing. If that seems not realistic than it could be based on the person and not the game. So each individual counts towards rarity but not the quantity they own. A game that 5 people own is less rare than one that two people do regardless if those people own multiple copies. Again this isn't a perfect system but I think it's a fairly valid method.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rarity guide based on that would cause lopsided results.

For example, on NES The Last Star Fighter, Nigel Mansells Racing, or Motor City Patrol are some of the rarer games on the system, but not as many collectors will actively go after such items compared to games with similar rarities but much higher (current) collectors value like SCAT, Godzilla 2, Pro Sport Hockey, Hillsfar, etc.

Things change though. I remember a time that Kid Klown for instance was a mid range collector title and now it’s in the Top 25.

But I say hard no, unless you call it something else.

”Community Population” is a good title.

Similarly, I would use eBay listing counts to judge “Online Availability” instead of rarity.

I'd love to see a rarity guide of sorts for NES. I don't know how they quantified it, but the rarity guide on AtariAge has really helped me discern the rarity of carts out in the wild (or at least, it's a guide I'm putting my blind faith in and trusting). I hate trying to research what the rarer Nintendo cartridges are and only seeing articles or videos of "The RARE$T Nintendo game$ that can make you rich!!!" that lazily list off expensive carts. I want to know which cartridges are actually rare, regardless of whether they're pricey or relatively cheap.

Like mentioned, I'm not really sure how best to implement it, but I'd love to see one.

15 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

Rarity guide based on that would cause lopsided results.

For example, on NES The Last Star Fighter, Nigel Mansells Racing, or Motor City Patrol are some of the rarer games on the system, but not as many collectors will actively go after such items compared to games with similar rarities but much higher (current) collectors value like SCAT, Godzilla 2, Pro Sport Hockey, Hillsfar, etc.

Things change though. I remember a time that Kid Klown for instance was a mid range collector title and now it’s in the Top 25.

But I say hard no, unless you call it something else.

”Community Population” is a good title.

Similarly, I would use eBay listing counts to judge “Online Availability” instead of rarity.

It doesn't have to be called rarity I suppose. But the community population thing works too. I just like the idea of knowing a general amount of a title that people here would have even if it doesn't directly correlate to a rarity scale it still helps size up what's desirables 

I already built this at www.nestalgia.ca and I have an Android application as well which I haven't published yet. I only use it personally but it works really well. I know I still need to filter out unlicensed games from the list but it has all of the data from the sealed contents game list from the other site. I spent hours entering it.

• 3 weeks later...

I think a voting system for rarity which does not publish without the approval by those verified to own a full set or have some experience with a given grouping. 

Voting by itself would see a lot of artificial inflation by those earthbound type games, valuable but otherwise common. Not to mention those trying to drive the rarity up artificially. An authority should be used, but all the users should have input one way or another.

Also this could happen on a yearly or even every two to three year basis. The goal is to catch titles like 3 ninjas kick back on snes and avenging spirit in gameboy. Games which were common sealed at a given time period, but when those stocks washed up, the games became phenomenally rare.. The goal would be to treat the rarity guide like a census, happens every so often, documents the way things are, but for the most part, doesn’t bring many surprises.

On 10/23/2019 at 12:34 PM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

It doesn't have to be called rarity I suppose. But the community population thing works too. I just like the idea of knowing a general amount of a title that people here would have even if it doesn't directly correlate to a rarity scale it still helps size up what's desirables 

So a database/collection tool that just displays who has each game. It doesn't mean desirable, but rather who claims to have the game. This sounds more like in-house statistics rather than anything to be used as a tool for gauging rarity and demand.