IGNORED

PS3 or Xbox 360 lists question

Lago

I don't follow 360 collecting much, but I am a member of several PS3 collecting groups.  PS3 collecting is an odd duck.  I've seen several people online claiming to have full PS3 sets.  However, when people ask for lists, things tend to get pretty silent.  It's almost like people are afraid to share this information as if they want as little of that information out to the public as possible.  It's strange to me.  I don't really participate in any of it.  I just follow these groups to sit back and watch.  

The Wikipedia list is probably as good of a list as I've seen.  It will certainly get you started.  

Any particular reason you are looking for the list?  Are you into PS3 or 360?  I love buying for that system because I love the system itself and most games are super cheap right now.  However, I have absolutely no desire to go for a full set. I have several goals of finishing lots of subsets for PS3, but I'll also buy just about any interesting looking game if it's cheap enough.  I basically just avoid most sports games and obvious shovelware.  I probably own about 80% of the PS3 games I would ever want to own.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

The Wikipedia list is probably as good of a list as I've seen.  It will certainly get you started.  

Any particular reason you are looking for the list?  Are you into PS3 or 360?  I love buying for that system because I love the system itself and most games are super cheap right now.  However, I have absolutely no desire to go for a full set. I have several goals of finishing lots of subsets for PS3, but I'll also buy just about any interesting looking game if it's cheap enough.  I basically just avoid most sports games and obvious shovelware.  I probably own about 80% of the PS3 games I would ever want to own.  

There’s a few reasons.

1.  I enjoy collecting.  I like going for full sets.  Mainly because I never know what game I’m going to like.  Plus It’s in my personality.

2.  Relocated for a new job and am living in an apt with limited space.  I’ve got the PS3 hooked up, works for streaming.   So it’s a good time to look into it.

3.  My boy and I had WAY to much fun playing Fight Night Champion over the weekend.  He’s younger but it was nice to play something other than Mario with him for a few minutes.

On a side note his strategy of jab until you can’t punch anymore and then cover up until you can jab some more worked way better than it should have.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lago said:

I’ve got the PS3 hooked up, works for streaming.   So it’s a good time to look into it.

Well that, and the fact that most PS3 games are dirt cheap right now.  Some people hate on GameStop, but their "BXGX" deals or "4 for $XX" deals are hard to beat, especially with their PS3 stuff market down as much as it is.  

It's definitely a great system to game on, and it's the last generation where a majority of the gaming can be played on a physical disc without any online connectivity.  The biggest issue with the PS3 is that while it has the best selection of games (for its generation), it doesn't always have the best ports.  Sometimes if a game is available on both PS3 and 360, you might be better off getting the 360 port.  Of course, it's a case by case basis.

29 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Well that, and the fact that most PS3 games are dirt cheap right now.  Some people hate on GameStop, but their "BXGX" deals or "4 for $XX" deals are hard to beat, especially with their PS3 stuff market down as much as it is.  

It's definitely a great system to game on, and it's the last generation where a majority of the gaming can be played on a physical disc without any online connectivity.  The biggest issue with the PS3 is that while it has the best selection of games (for its generation), it doesn't always have the best ports.  Sometimes if a game is available on both PS3 and 360, you might be better off getting the 360 port.  Of course, it's a case by case basis.

You aren’t kidding about that.  I picked up 9 games for an average of $3.45.  I didn’t just buy games because they were cheap either.  Picked out games I thought I’d like or my family would enjoy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lago said:

You aren’t kidding about that.  I picked up 9 games for an average of $3.45.  I didn’t just buy games because they were cheap either.  Picked out games I thought I’d like or my family would enjoy.

That's pretty much what I do.  Not every game will be a winner, but 9 times out of 10, you can tell what is obvious shovelware and skip.  

On 2/18/2020 at 4:41 PM, TDIRunner said:

I don't follow 360 collecting much, but I am a member of several PS3 collecting groups.  PS3 collecting is an odd duck.  I've seen several people online claiming to have full PS3 sets.  However, when people ask for lists, things tend to get pretty silent.  It's almost like people are afraid to share this information as if they want as little of that information out to the public as possible.  It's strange to me.  I don't really participate in any of it.  I just follow these groups to sit back and watch.  

Guy with a full PAL PS3 set here. I'm also a member of THE PS3 collectors group on facebook. I used to share my list quite often when people asked for it but nowadays I don't anymore. More often than not the feedback was negative and sometimes just assy. I also can't be bothered with people who tell me that I'm missing Hail to the Chimp for my PAL set because wikipedia says it was released in PAL. I've been collecting these games for over eight years and people who don't know anything still try to lecture me with stuff like that. They're like that kid in school who never studied, wants to copy your homework, you let him and then complains he didn't get an A.

Luckily the people who do have full sets (I know four others across PAL and NTSC but there are most likely more) are very accepting and don't try to force their view on what's correct on others. Due to all the new species' of releases in that generation we all came to similar but still all different counts in the end.

Personally I don't hand out my list anymore unless I know the one asking is serious and won't try to get into an endless argument about stuff that is mostly a matter of perspective rather than fact. It's not like I don't want the information out there it's just that I can't be bothered sharing if 80% of the people who ask are being an ass afterwards or ask stupid questions that google has a very obvious answer to.

30 minutes ago, Beliskner said:

Guy with a full PAL PS3 set here. I'm also a member of THE PS3 collectors group on facebook. I used to share my list quite often when people asked for it but nowadays I don't anymore. More often than not the feedback was negative and sometimes just assy. I also can't be bothered with people who tell me that I'm missing Hail to the Chimp for my PAL set because wikipedia says it was released in PAL. I've been collecting these games for over eight years and people who don't know anything still try to lecture me with stuff like that. They're like that kid in school who never studied, wants to copy your homework, you let him and then complains he didn't get an A.

Luckily the people who do have full sets (I know four others across PAL and NTSC but there are most likely more) are very accepting and don't try to force their view on what's correct on others. Due to all the new species' of releases in that generation we all came to similar but still all different counts in the end.

Personally I don't hand out my list anymore unless I know the one asking is serious and won't try to get into an endless argument about stuff that is mostly a matter of perspective rather than fact. It's not like I don't want the information out there it's just that I can't be bothered sharing if 80% of the people who ask are being an ass afterwards or ask stupid questions that google has a very obvious answer to.

I can understand all of that.  Although, keep in mind that people arguing over what is and ins't included in the full set is nothing new.  People even on this site will debate as to what is and isn't included in a full NES set.

So out of curiosity since you are a full set collector, are you buying the PS3 releases from Limited Run Games, or do you consider those NTSC games?  

19 minutes ago, Lago said:

Do you know if the PAL and NTSC lists are similar?

Kind of. Each region has around 90 titles the other doesn't have.

18 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I can understand all of that.  Although, keep in mind that people arguing over what is and ins't included in the full set is nothing new.  People even on this site will debate as to what is and isn't included in a full NES set.

So out of curiosity since you are a full set collector, are you buying the PS3 releases from Limited Run Games, or do you consider those NTSC games?  

With stuff like NES or SNES the questions usually revolve around the same games (SE, competition carts, Exertainment/Speed Racer etc.) and maybe licensed vs. unlicensed. With those people will at least acknowledge that the games are different (bar SE maybe). With PS3 you will have to think about what even makes a game different enough to actually be a different game and there are at least 100 or so on PS3 where you have to stop and think unless you have a very specific mindset going in. I think because that leads to so many different opinions people just become overprotective of their ideas since noone else will defend them for them.

I don't consider Limited Run releases games at all. Again a matter of opinion and everyone is free to have their own but from day one, way before they were doing PS3 games, I was of the opinion that they were selling collectibles and not games. They don't show the back of the box on their website or even give a description of the game. They know there is a market that will buy any game no matter how shitty as long as it says "limited to 3000" or whatever the number of the day is. Props to them in that regard. Even if they were just a regular distributor I would never pre-order something that I have to pay for upfront, can't cancel and have to wait several months for. Btw ebay.com currently lists around 7.700 items if you search for Limited Run in the video games category and over 7.000 are listed as brand new. Speaks volumes in my opinion.

Well fair enough, and I don't care enough to really argue it, but I do have a hard time understanding how they wouldn't count as games considering they are officially licensed.  If I were in your shoes, I would be arguing that they aren't PAL games (based on ESRB ratings) despite the fact that they will run on your hardware.  I've been buying the LRG PS3 releases simply because they've released games that I'm interested in owning and playing.  If and when they start releasing PS3 games that I'm not interested in, I'll simply pass on those titles.  

12 minutes ago, Beliskner said:

Btw ebay.com currently lists around 7.700 items if you search for Limited Run in the video games category and over 7.000 are listed as brand new. Speaks volumes in my opinion.

I'm curious what you mean by this.  

14 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Well fair enough, and I don't care enough to really argue it, but I do have a hard time understanding how they wouldn't count as games considering they are officially licensed.  If I were in your shoes, I would be arguing that they aren't PAL games (based on ESRB ratings) despite the fact that they will run on your hardware.  I've been buying the LRG PS3 releases simply because they've released games that I'm interested in owning and playing.  If and when they start releasing PS3 games that I'm not interested in, I'll simply pass on those titles.  

I'm curious what you mean by this.  

It doesn't have anything to do with the games being licensed or not. The point is that the main selling point of the game is not the game but the collectibility. Most people obviously buy them to collect them, too, which is the point I was trying to make with my eBay bit. I know not many people share that opinion but I'm a live and let live kinda guy.

The argument with the rating is the one I'd use if I was in that situation because in order to get a PAL release the game has to receive a rating in line with that region otherwise it can't be sold.  I've never seen people try to use a "but it runs on PAL hardware" argument before but it would be hilarious because of how stupid it would be.

Just now, Beliskner said:

It doesn't have anything to do with the games being licensed or not. The point is that the main selling point of the game is not the game but the collectibility. Most people obviously buy them to collect them, too, which is the point I was trying to make with my eBay bit. I know not many people share that opinion but I'm a live and let live kinda guy.

The argument with the rating is the one I'd use if I was in that situation because in order to get a PAL release the game has to receive a rating in line with that region otherwise it can't be sold.  I've never seen people try to use a "but it runs on PAL hardware" argument before but it would be hilarious because of how stupid it would be.

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to convince you to buy those two games as it truly doesn't matter to me what you want to buy or count towards your set.  I'm just surprised to hear that you don't want to buy games that were specifically made for a collector's market.  If anything, I would think that LRG's largest target audience would be full set collectors.  Again, not trying to change your mind.  Just curious on my part.

2 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to convince you to buy those two games as it truly doesn't matter to me what you want to buy or count towards your set.  I'm just surprised to hear that you don't want to buy games that were specifically made for a collector's market.  If anything, I would think that LRG's largest target audience would be full set collectors.  Again, not trying to change your mind.  Just curious on my part.

No worries mate I wasn't taking it that way. I'm not trying to convince anyone either.

Of course LRG and other companies are fishing for people who are afraid to miss out on rare stuff but I ain't bitin' 🙂. Honestly doesn't sound like fun to me having to spend hundreds every month on PS4 or Switch games just to keep up either.

• Like 1

I only count games as part of the set if they are officially licensed, a unique game, and were released during the active lifecycle of the console, so that cuts out most of the LRG stuff, re-releases with minor DLC updates, homebrews, and even the insanely late Just Dance releases. But that's what I like about set collecting, there is no official definition and we can all do whatever the hell we want. Anarchy! 😎😎

Edited by DoctorEncore

Well I had very recently started to give the PS3/PS4 some love (after both had been mostly collecting dust for the past few years because I was too busy with retro gaming and my other hobbies) so I wouldn't mind a complete list of all the US disc based PS3 games.  I mean I imagine it's a far shorter list compared to PS1/PS2 right?

15 minutes ago, Estil said:

Well I had very recently started to give the PS3/PS4 some love (after both had been mostly collecting dust for the past few years because I was too busy with retro gaming and my other hobbies) so I wouldn't mind a complete list of all the US disc based PS3 games.  I mean I imagine it's a far shorter list compared to PS1/PS2 right?

As far as US games go, you are correct that it's less than PS1 and PS2, but I bet you would be surprised how close it is to the PS1 total.

As mentioned earlier, this list may not be perfect, but it's a good start.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_games_released_on_disc

One thing worth remembering about 360 collecting is that not all of the online lists seem to have been kept up to date towards the end. FIFA 19 did indeed have a physical NTSC release, and is the rarest NTSC title for the system. Yet it is often left off the various lists. Whether it was only in Mexico and Latin America or made its way into specialty US shops still hasn't been cleared up. There may also be a few late releases that flew under the radar. PS3 might also have a few, FIFA 19 again among them for that system.

If one wants to be picky, there's also the 360/Xbox One combo releases that quite a few popular games saw later re-releases in. But those should just count as variants.

One other thing to consider is that this was the very last generation where the the majority of releases contain entire game, sans any later DLC, can be played offline in full. If you have the disc you have the full game, without any bullshit day-one patches.

Also, when collecting, try and buy the games that have all offline Achievements and Trophies. A lot of games have already had online cheevs rendered impossible by server shutdowns, and games with everything obtainable offline will command a premium from the Achievement hunters in the near future. The corollary is also obvious: there's a LOT of titles that amazingly enough still have active servers, but won't forever. Focus on getting their online cheevs/trophies while it can still be done.

Oh, and for specific titles, the one that really stands out as a future hidden gem/ Holy Grail is Project Sylpheed, a 360 exclusive. Square Enix space combat game, graphics showcase, all offline cheevs, and the controls are fully customizable AFTER the tutorial.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chaos Control said:

One thing worth remembering about 360 collecting is that not all of the online lists seem to have been kept up to date towards the end. FIFA 19 did indeed have a physical NTSC release, and is the rarest NTSC title for the system. Yet it is often left off the various lists. Whether it was only in Mexico and Latin America or made its way into specialty US shops still hasn't been cleared up. There may also be a few late releases that flew under the radar. PS3 might also have a few, FIFA 19 again among them for that system.

If one wants to be picky, there's also the 360/Xbox One combo releases that quite a few popular games saw later re-releases in. But those should just count as variants.

One other thing to consider is that this was the very last generation where the the majority of releases contain entire game, sans any later DLC, can be played offline in full. If you have the disc you have the full game, without any bullshit day-one patches.

Also, when collecting, try and buy the games that have all offline Achievements and Trophies. A lot of games have already had online cheevs rendered impossible by server shutdowns, and games with everything obtainable offline will command a premium from the Achievement hunters in the near future. The corollary is also obvious: there's a LOT of titles that amazingly enough still have active servers, but won't forever. Focus on getting their online cheevs/trophies while it can still be done.

Oh, and for specific titles, the one that really stands out as a future hidden gem/ Holy Grail is Project Sylpheed, a 360 exclusive. Square Enix space combat game, graphics showcase, all offline cheevs, and the controls are fully customizable AFTER the tutorial.

Thanks for posting this.  It’s good to hear some about the 360 as well.  After some consideration I think I am going to collect for the 360/PS3.  It’ll probably be the last generation I go all in on, except for maybe the Switch.

Do you happen to have any leads on a list for the 360 and/or PS3?

37 minutes ago, Lago said:

Thanks for posting this.  It’s good to hear some about the 360 as well.  After some consideration I think I am going to collect for the 360/PS3.  It’ll probably be the last generation I go all in on, except for maybe the Switch.

Do you happen to have any leads on a list for the 360 and/or PS3?

My pleasure. I'm also going for the full US 360 set, but just the regular retail releases. I doubt anybody will ever be able to even put together a full list of every single retail special edition, collectors edition, variant, etc, and certainly not be able to obtain them all. There's just way too many. But at least they'll all be fully functional offline, for the most part. If you're ever looking to find which games are the true rarities, one way is to browse through TrueAchievements and see just how many people have gotten the commonest Achievement for any particular title. When only a few dozen to a few hundred have unlocked even the easy cheevs, you know that you're looking at a rare game. As for particular lists, cross referencing the Wikipedia lists with True Achievements lists (which will show what's actually been played and thus had a release) should yield solid data. Once you have that, just check the list against Ebay availability. The really rare ones even now only have a few copies at any one time, and some of those are incomplete, foreign versions, "custom cases", etc.