IGNORED

Atari 7800 full US list with variants/7800 lovefest

Hey guys I checked my 7800 games and added some not found on Nrslam's list.

Asteroids: HK/standard/88s
Dig Dug: Taiwan/standard/86s
Choplifter: Taiwan/red/87s
Joust: HK/standard/86s
One on One: taiwan/red/ 87s, HK/red/88s
Pole Position 2: Picture HK/standard/88s namco/83s atari, B&W 84s/both labels upsidedown
Touchdown football: face label upside down

Bot sure if my Pole Position 2 picture label is the same as Nrslam's. He listed the 83 copyright but I listed both 83 & 88. Let's check it again.

20191027_135346.jpg

20191027_135929.jpg

Edited by acromite53
  • Like 1

I love those upside down labels!

Your listings for Commando & Fatal Run are, I think, the same as I listed.

My picture label PP2 is the same as yours. The copyright info is weird, though. I think the dates are switched and it should say 1983 Namco on the 1st line and 1988 Atari on the second, which would make it consistent with other 7800 releases (original game date as 1st listed copyright, current version's date listed 2nd). 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nrslam said:

I love those upside down labels!

Your listings for Commando & Fatal Run are, I think, the same as I listed.

My picture label PP2 is the same as yours. The copyright info is weird, though. I think the dates are switched and it should say 1983 Namco on the 1st line and 1988 Atari on the second, which would make it consistent with other 7800 releases (original game date as 1st listed copyright, current version's date listed 2nd). 

Thanks. I overlooked your Commando and Fatal Run. I'll delete those from my list. 

Yeah I noticed the copyrights on PP2 were swapped. Thanks for the confirmation. 

Also I'm not sure if those upside down labels would be considered Errors or Variants.

We should combine these lists for the front page.

1 minute ago, Hybrid said:

Thanks

BTW the way I look at variant vs error variant is done intentionally an error is not

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/217862-pole-position-2-atari-7800-labels-upside-down/

That's a good rule. I've seen pictures of PP2 upside down before. Considering both labels are upside down, I'd say it's intentional. Touchdown Football would probably be an error.

I'm all for having a single unified list.  Hoping some more people will weigh in first.  We still don't have any info for Mat Mania and I don't want to crack open my sealed copy to check it.

Also, I'm curious about that USA Mario Bros I have.  Seems odd this is the only 7800 game manufactured in the US.  Does anybody have others?

On 10/23/2019 at 9:09 AM, captmorgandrinker said:

It's still a pretty easy set to knock out.   There are a couple more games creeping towards $100 these days (Ninja Golf is getting up there and Tank Command has been there), but the majority of these you can get pretty easily in a few lots.

Don't forget Ikari Warriors, it's 100 bucks now too...

• 1 year later...

If anyone is familiar with my website of variations for the Atari 2600, I have been working on the Atari 7800. Here is the main link to the 7800 page. All 3rd party software is finished to the best of my knowledge. I am working on the Atari page now. To make this quick, I've been posting on Atari Age for about a month now saying I was going to do this project. The thread is under Atari 7800 (if you need a link let me know.) It's a little bit tougher than I thought. My target date is the end of this month. If anyone is looking at all my variations and either own one I'm missing or can get me better scans, please send them to pdispenza@verizon.net. I am doing all variations for cartridges, manuals and boxes. Looking at the lists in this thread, I see cartridge variations that are missing. I am including PAL variations as I always do. Please read my head paragraphs for info. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me here or through my email. I thank you for any help I can get. I'd like to get this as accurate as possible. 

http://www.videogamevariations.com/Atari7800.htm

Edited by Philflound

On 8/8/2021 at 1:41 PM, Doctornick said:

This is so cool!  The 7800 is one of the few consoles I still don't own and I've never come across one locally for sale.  Thanks for sharing!

Hope you find one. The benefit of the 7800 is that I believe almost all 2600 games should play on it. After I'm done with this, I'm moving on the 5200. It seems there may be pretty much no variations with the 5200. I'll have to do research on that.

Edited by Philflound

Just to give you an update. I'm moving along and doing well. Some of the scans may be subpar due to the fact I can only get pictures of damaged items or the angles are such that when fixed may look a bit blurry or distorted. If you see any holes in my chart, it's just that I'm waiting on fixed scans from another person and those will be done soon. I should be done through Food Fight within a few days. Even while uploading these pages and such, I continue to come across variations not on my list. If you see the games in the chart clickable, that means I have exhausted my research on that title. If you have items not on the list, please contact me with scans and i'll add them. Thanks.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

I've been following this with interest.  My ability to contribute is limited due to a recent move which has made finding things difficult, and may have rendered my scanner inoperative. I need to check that.

I did, however, find a couple boxes of 7800 stuff and have begun comparing it to yours.  I'm way behind, but so far the only differences I have found are on the Centipede cart, and perhaps these changes are too minor to track.

-> My 86 Taiwan cart (looks same as your version a) has a spring loaded connector cover while all other Centipede carts I've looked at are open-ended. Is this something you're tracking?

->I have an 87 Hong Kong cart with straight text (like your version d except year) as well as with italicized text (identical to version c). I think only the font is different.

I'll report any other variants I find and, if you want and my scanner starts working, send scans.

Quick followup. So far I haven't found any additional label variants, but it looks like you have the wrong number on all the Ace of Aces manuals. All your variants say C300016-152 while mine is C300018-046 but otherwise matches manual C.

Also found that the 1986 Asteroids carts have the spring-thingie while later versions are open ended.

Thanks for helping. I do a lot of copy/paste, so errors may occur if I forget to change a product number. I corrected the Ace of Aces manual listings.

The spring circuit board protector I call CART2 and no cb protector is CART3. There are no CART1 7800 games to my knowledge, which is the locking cb protector that the 2600 has, which is the basis of my format for the 7800. I believe all 1986 Taiwan are CART2. I may have overlooked that one. If I'm unsure, I think I defaulted to CART3 in the beginning, but should change all unknown to CART2? until I can verify it.

As for your 87 Hong Kong Centipede, I'd have to see it to compare. Pretty much everything I'm getting is from the internet, so I can only go on what I see. Eventually I'll get to my stock of loose 7800 carts to do comparison with what I have.

By the way, the .pdf file of the entire list of variations will be uploaded when I'm finished with all the variations I have. I haven't uploaded it yet because it's constantly changing and I'm adding and fixing errors. All the definitions and descriptions of the entries will be explained. If you want to see a more detailed version of the 2600 .pdf, here you can get it. Though I need to update that too. The 7800 will have several differences and not be as detailed. It's the first link at the top of the page.

http://www.videogamevariations.com/Atari2600.htm

Phil

Edited by Philflound

Still working the scanner issue. Meanwhile, I took a look at my Atari branded CART2 and CART3 types and the results are somewhat inconsistent.

All HK and China carts are CART3. Most 86 Taiwan's are CART2 and later Taiwan's are CART3. I do have two exceptions to this Taiwan rule: an 86 Food Fight in CART3 style and an 87 Galaga in CART2 style. 

Pole Position II text label is hard to say as the label doesn't identify where it was made/printed. My only 86 is a CART2 while amongst a dozen or so 87's, one is a CART2 and the others are all CART3.

Still have more boxes of 7800 stuff to locate. I'll report any other anomalies if I find them.

Got back a couple of hours ago and I'm working on my scans getting them organized and ready for tomorrow's work on more games. As I put up the game variations, please feel free to send me any corrections you may have. I'm hoping to get several more games tomorrow and keep going during the week with a title or two at least per night. Thanks.

Phil

Spent several hours on the site. I have everything done through Galaga. I'm a little confused with the 32 in 1 manual. Can someone explain an order to me, or maybe how I should order the pages if there really isn't one? Look at Atari Age for the scans and give me your opinion please.

https://atariage.com/manual_thumbs.php?SoftwareLabelID=1013