IGNORED

Section Z (NES)

cartman

It was a good game, but I only ever played and beaten twice, and that was prior to me keeping records thus don't even know when, but somewhere between March 11th 2001 (when I bought it back then) and December 8th 2002 (when I starting keeping detailed records on game accomplishments back then). I can't believe I never played and beaten it again in all those years. I think if I had grew up with it it could have been a favorite. It just sorta got forgotten, even though it plays well and I found it enjoyable. But I had more a preference for Burai Fighter which is sorta like it but more kick ass and no maze, even though the maze made Section Z more interesting, but I guess not for repeated plays. Odd that I didn't give Section Z any more plays than I had, I did with ones like Gun.Smoke and Trojan which were other early Capcom titles, so it is hard for me now looking back to get why I ignored Section Z all those years after the initial games of it. But Section Z  gave me that little something extra to do during my map making days.

790826052_SectionZ-map.thumb.png.7e2b96570331b2733e87e9bf8e35a870.png

317824859_SectionZ-secretarealocations1.thumb.png.78b2a716f2775265331ba66262b889d0.png

1889923751_SectionZ-secretarealocations2.thumb.png.f0cf95efa60e6e7501137ee5c533fdd3.png

Edited by MeganJoanne
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow! 2

I think there's something rewarding in it's own right reaching a new section, with new enemies and new design, and you wonder what it's gonna be. That i think is a strength this game has going for it wich you don't really get that often in traditional game design, usually only when a level is completed. The warps that may push you forward or backward only enhances upon this further: the sense of exploration and progress is so damn present. Even one of those "faux warps" that changes from deadly to legit if you just wait a few secs... it's not really challenging but it's an effective trick because it captures your attention.

I don't think the mazes are superfluous but rather central to the experience. Using maps i feel negates a lot of that impact and what the game is about; you're supposed to feel those consequences of the choices you make and have a hard time reaching the end. But i understand the practical decision in wanting to progress and avoid getting lost.

• 2 months later...

The second game we owned a home. As a kid it was too difficult for me. Now I can beat it easily. 

I really like it now, love the music too. I never made a map like that thoguh, I just wrote the numbers down (section 1, up=2, down=3, etc) together with some additional info about the level (which items can be found, is there a boss to fight, etc).

This was one of the games I had as a kid, back in the day when I got the NES. I liked the way the music sounded, because that was like typical game music in my opinion. Back then I managed to get to the final world of the game but I never made it to the final boss.

Many years later I when I was a collector, I picked up the game again and then I would not stop playing, until the game was finished. So I found the secret spot in one of the ceilings you had to shoot open, in order to find the secret passage to the final boss. I have not played this game for like 10 years now...

21 hours ago, WERY said:

This was one of the games I had as a kid, back in the day when I got the NES. I liked the way the music sounded, because that was like typical game music in my opinion. Back then I managed to get to the final world of the game but I never made it to the final boss.

Many years later I when I was a collector, I picked up the game again and then I would not stop playing, until the game was finished. So I found the secret spot in one of the ceilings you had to shoot open, in order to find the secret passage to the final boss. I have not played this game for like 10 years now...

Are you saying the game can't be beaten without doing this? Or just that it was what you did.