IGNORED

I just hit the motherload... of exceptionally well conditioned GB carts!

RH

I found a guy on eBay that was slowly listing GB games on ebay.  It was obvious he was googling images for each game and just using the first one he found, or maybe just the ebay stock photos.  He was listing each game as a $1 auction.

I'm not for backdooring but I was talking to the guy and apparently his Uncle has cancer, needed money and asked him to sell the games.  He had established rep, so it didn't seem illegit.  Anyway, I asked how many total Game Boy games he had and he said it was 195.  I made him an offer on everything, and he took it.  Cancelled all of them and I made an offer assuming they would be in just "ok" shape.

The games arrived today and holy cow, these things are in great shape!  I'm probably going to replace a total of 75-100 of my existing titles and the lot had a a couple I was missing for the full set, and a couple of other missing variants.  What gets me though is almost every cartridge I take a look at looks like it was taken out of the game box and not even played.  These things are gems. Oh, and they all came with dust covers, and probably 15% of them are in the uncommon OEM colored cases!  It's truly a nice lot!

Anyway, I know this isn't the for sale section, but if anyone is working on a GB set and wants me to go through these looking for any you might need, let me know.  I can hold them for you.

8C832669-893A-4D16-9A64-0B93A7434E1D.jpeg

Edited by RH
  • Like 5
  • Wow! 6

3 minutes ago, Splain said:

Whoa, nice haul! How close does that bring you to a full set and full variant set?

Well, I still have one game that's been in the mail forever. I'm not sure how it was shipped buy USPS is showing it coming but they are dragging their feet.  Assuming it's in the condition I desire, I need 3 more games for the full set... maybe 4 because I ordered Prehistorik a couple of months ago and now I can't find it.  Technically, I should have it but if I get to the end and can't find it anywhere, I'll likely buy it again because it was already at the bottom of my personal threshold of desirability.

But, of course, what's that on top of that pile in the bottom-left?!  Well... that's an EUR version. Ugh...  Oh well.  In fact, everything in that stack is UKV titles.  Everything else is US.  Most of those games are the first variant titles, so if you need any of those, let me know.  Interesting enough, though, there was a Castlevania Adventure, Rev-1 in there which took me a while to find!  It was the cleanest, most gem mint cart in the lot I've found so far.  The one I picked up last month was in good shape, but that one was honestly a gem amongst gems.

I also got a rev-1s for Go Go Tank!, Caesars Palace, Mr. Chin's Gourmet Paradise and World Bowling.

All in all, I think I need about 48 cartridges to complete the set of all (known) US variants.

1 hour ago, RH said:

I found a guy on eBay that was slowly listing GB games on ebay.  It was obvious he was googling images for each game and just using the first one he found, or maybe just the ebay stock photos.  He was listing each game as a $1 auction.

I'm not for backdooring but I was talking to the guy and apparently his Uncle has cancer, needed money and asked him to sell the games.  He had established rep, so it didn't seem illegit.  Anyway, I asked how many total Game Boy games he had and he said it was 195.  I made him an offer on everything, and he took it.  Cancelled all of them and I made an offer assuming they would be in just "ok" shape.

I wouldn't consider that backdooring unless he had firm deals in place. If he just had live auctions up and decided to cancel for your bucket offer instead, I don't see the issue.

Just now, Tulpa said:

I wouldn't consider that backdooring unless he had firm deals in place. If he just had live auctions up and decided to cancel for your bucket offer instead, I don't see the issue.

That's the only reason why I did it.  Still, he had about 25 of the games up, some of them the rarer ones and had a total of probably 3-5 bids across all of them.  I saw the games trickling in because I have a search turned on for $1 auctions with "Game Boy" in the title.  I messaged him the morning after he had started listing his sizable lot.

22 minutes ago, Splain said:

Any non-US titles in the UKV stack?

I'll send you a PM later.

Sorry, no. I would have been keeping them though, if there were exclusives.  I think the original owner was mostly interested in condition over region versions or Rev-0s. There are no Player’s Choice variants and there were only about 10-15 Rev-1s in the bunch. Many of the rarer titles are UKV but that’s.  The other half are USA.

Edited by RH