IGNORED

My most unusual game map.

Tabonga

I have lots of maps in my collection.  This is probably the oddest.  It is a 3d plastic map from Dragon Quest.  It is made of 11 pieces that fit together - they come in nine boxes and each box has one plastic figure.   You can get them relatively cheaply if you poke around on ebay a bit (and bide your time).

6f739bcc740e850d5dadb8748e9cbeac.jpg

Edited by Wandering Tellurian
  • Like 3
  • Wow! 1

7 minutes ago, RH said:

What is this, exactly? It looks like some form of Dragon Warrior promo, like as if you’d bought a Happy Meal and every meal came with a piece of the map.

Regardless, it seems pretty cool. Thanks for sharing!

You  are indeed welcome. They were released in Japan as part of the 25th anniversary of the series.  They apparently were sold in sets of 9 boxes although you didn't know what pieces you were getting.  Which seems mighty inconvenient if you just wanted one set.  People soon started selling them in complete sets though.  The colors are a bit washed out in that picture - looks quite a bit nicer sitting on the table in front of you.

The 9 boxes came in a nice display box:

10171647.jpg

25 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

haha, that is super neat, thanks for the share!  Only the original or are there more out there.  I would want one, but like others i have nowhere to display it.

They are pretty common - but people usually ask too much IMHO for them.  I have seen them sell in the $50 dollar range or thereabouts  occasionally - sometimes including shipping for that price.  Just have to keep looking till one pops up at a reasonable price.

There were also some cloth maps made for some of the games in the series that you see occasionally - they are actually more scarce than the diorama.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

What other maps do u have?  You say this is the most unusual, but I have honestly never really seen anything like this that was an actual item.

I have some that I made myself - Golden Axe Warrior, Brigandine, Warsong and Dark Wizard;

I have a bunch of table cloth sized Zelda maps that I really like:

I have a lot of cloth maps from PC games (such as the ultimas) - and a lot of Chinese knockoffs (which are often nicer than the legit ones).

If a console game came with a paper map (and I have that game) I have the maps for them stored in large oversize vinyl sheet protectors.  

And some odds and ends that are fantasy oriented maps that are not tied into video or pc games.

• Like 1