IGNORED

I'm hankering for a good WWII dogfight experience. Any suggestions?

Br81zad

For whatever reason WWII fighters have caught my eye recently. I've been reading about different ones and their role/significance in the war. Even watched some airshow clips and watched some restoration videos. I don't have a pilot's license, and flying one of these things in real life isn't going to happen, but I figure I could get a quick fix from playing a video game.

More specifically, I'm after titles on PS3. And I don't mind if it leans more toward the Arcade flight style rather than a strict Simulator. As long as there are plenty of aircraft to choose from and it's fun to play, I'm open to trying it.

3 planes I'd like to see included are:

- P-51 Mustang

- F4U Corsair

- P-38 Lightning

Any suggestions? 

I found me an XBox 360 for dirt cheap few months ago which I've been meaning to flip. I've also been in the mood for a good aero-combat sim fighter game because I've not played one in decades and I don't own any.

As luck would have it, I walked into a thrift shop and they had Blazing Angels II for $3. I'm rethinking selling my XBox 360 just so I can play that game.  I have no clue if it's good or not, but it could scratch that itch, for sure.

4 minutes ago, RH said:

I found me an XBox 360 for dirt cheap few months ago which I've been meaning to flip. I've also been in the mood for a good aero-combat sim fighter game because I've not played one in decades and I don't own any.

As luck would have it, I walked into a thrift shop and they had Blazing Angels II for $3. I'm rethinking selling my XBox 360 just so I can play that game.  I have no clue if it's good or not, but it could scratch that itch, for sure.

Give it a go and share your thoughts!

The last flight combat sim I played was Ace Combat 4 on PS2. I loved it, but I haven't been back to the genre since. With that one mostly being modern aircraft, I figured this time I'd try the older stuff

If you ever try a game on PC, check out DCS World. The P-51D Mustang is one of the two free planes in that game. It's a realistic simulator with an entirely working cockpit, basically the opposite of something like Ace Combat, but you might find it interesting.

This is how you start up a P-51, and it's one of the simplest planes in the game. You have to read a big flight manual to learn how to start and fly each individual plane.

Just now, DefaultGen said:

If you ever try a game on PC, check out DCS World. The P-51D Mustang is one of the two free planes in that game. It's a realistic simulator with an entirely working cockpit, basically the opposite of something like Ace Combat, but you might find it interesting.

This is how you start up a P-51, and it's one of the simplest planes in the game. You have to read a big flight manual to learn how to start and fly each individual plane.

I think you've just given me an idea for a YouTube/Twitch channel.

"Richard learns how to fly without reading a single manual!"

Just sessions of me pushing buttons and pulling levers until I figure the damned thing out!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RH said:

Just sessions of me pushing buttons and pulling levers until I figure the damned thing out!

Giant Bomb has DCS videos where they go in blind and start planes with the manual and sometimes it takes them over a half hour to get something like the A-10C Warthog off the ground, lol.

Just now, DefaultGen said:

Giant Bomb has DCS videos where they go in blind and start planes with the manual and sometimes it takes them over a half hour to get something like the A-10C Warthog off the ground, lol.

So long as you have good banter, it could be entertaining and, of course, edited down for YouTube.  This would have to be a long term goal.  Start with a "simple plane" get to where I can take off and land, and then progress up to something that's really complex like a fighter jet.  Lol... that would take a LOT of time. If I had the time to dedicate to it, I'd seriously consider doing something like that. Maybe I will when I move (happening in about 6 months) and I have dedicated office/game room in my house.

4 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

That's actually really fucking neat. My PC is a toaster unfortunately. lol

8 hours ago, RH said:

Careful though, or you may end up taking a page from Indiana Jones.   Dr. Jones:  Fly?  Yes.  Land?  No.

Better figure out that landing gear while there's gas in the tank.