IGNORED

Mega Man: The Wily Wars thoughts

Bearcat-Doug

Has anyone else played through this? I guess it was a selling point for the Genesis Mini for a lot of people. I just finished it last night and it basically reminded me of Mario All Stars other than the three new robot masters and extra Dr. Wily castle. The Genesis controls seemed a bit stiff compared to the NES versions and they really ramped up the difficulty on Mega Man 2. Overall, I enjoyed it since it was basically what I expected, but I'm not sure if I would have bought the Genesis Mini just for the chance to play it.

Just now, MachineCode said:

I’ve actually never gotten around to playing this one. I have some good shops in the area that sell it as a repro so I might give it a shot. Would you say it’s worth it in that form?

What does the repro cart go for? It was part of the reason I got the Genesis Mini, but the overall library is well worth the price IMO.

2 minutes ago, MachineCode said:

Not sure, but I can give them a call tomorrow and find out but I think it was somewhere between 40-50 bucks.

I don't know if you have a Genesis collection or not, but for that price you might be better off getting a Genesis Mini. Mega Man for the NES runs about that much by itself, so if want to give it a try, I'd say either option is worth it.

I've played through it on an original European cart. It was alright but doesn't hold water against the NES originals and I'm saying this as a Sega fanboy. The extra content might not be that big of a deal to you unless you are a Mega Man fanatic who wants to experience everything that the franchise offers. As a part of the Mega Drive/Genesis Mini library it's still a great addition, as it hasn't been in Sega compilations before and prices out many collectors in physical form.

6 minutes ago, sp1nz said:

I've played through it on an original European cart. It was alright but doesn't hold water against the NES originals and I'm saying this as a Sega fanboy. The extra content might not be that big of a deal to you unless you are a Mega Man fanatic who wants to experience everything that the franchise offers. As a part of the Mega Drive/Genesis Mini library it's still a great addition, as it hasn't been in Sega compilations before and prices out many collectors in physical form.

I found the controls to be a bit loose compared to the NES games. For some reason they made Mega Man 2 way more difficult. I liked being able to play the original three games in 16 bit HD and I liked the bonus content, but I played it on the Genesis Mini so I had another 40 games for what I paid. I think the series went downhill after MM3, so it was basically what I thought it would be. The repro carts are probably still worth it, but I guess that depends on how much the 16 bit upgrade and extra content is worth. The controls were my main issue. The NES controls are tight, so I don't know if it was the Genesis controller that felt off or of it was the actual game.

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I don't know if you have a Genesis collection or not, but for that price you might be better off getting a Genesis Mini. Mega Man for the NES runs about that much by itself, so if want to give it a try, I'd say either option is worth it.

Thanks for the tip. I'm definitely an original hardware kinda guy tho. I must say those MisterFPGAs are showing some real promise. I like the idea of circuit level simulation.

Just now, MachineCode said:

Thanks for the tip. I'm definitely an original hardware kinda guy tho. I must say those MisterFPGAs are showing some real promise. I like the idea of circuit level simulation.

I got the Genesis Mini since I didn't have the hardware, but if you do, go for it. On the bonus Wily Castle it lets you choose your weapons and items from the first three games with a limit, so that is something totally new.

• Like 1

If you're set on it, check ebay first.  Usually local shops aren't very friendly on bootleg pricing and hope to find people who think it's legit or legit enough and given the pedigree could be asking a lot more than you should have to put out for it with a few days patience waiting on the mail.