IGNORED

NWC 35th Anniversary PRO Edition

Posted (edited)

Hey all, I'm promoting Thor and my 35th anniversary NWC CIB, selling through kickstarter.  We changed the levels this time (and colors), signed the backs and included a nice box and manual filled with personal memories of the original event in 1990.

Heres a fun promo we made for it.  (Starring Thor, myself and Uncle Tusk!!)

And here is the kickstarter link.  I know it's kind of expensive, but our 25th Anniversary is being resold for big money and a cart only just sold for $400 a couple months ago.

http://kck.st/3Vh50C1

Thanks for your time!

Edited by Tetris Mattress
  • Like 1

Wow, I thought I'd never learn what Vince (UncleTusk) looks like after doing business with him for the last 10 years or so. I think because of his walrus logo I was expecting him to look a lot more like Wilfred Brimley 😆

• Haha 2

On 6/9/2024 at 10:43 AM, Tetris Mattress said:

Hey all, I'm promoting Thor and my 35th anniversary NWC CIB, selling through kickstarter.  We changed the levels this time (and colors), signed the backs and included a nice box and manual filled with personal memories of the original event in 1990.

Heres a fun promo we made for it.  (Starring Thor, myself and Uncle Tusk!!)

And here is the kickstarter link.  I know it's kind of expensive, but our 25th Anniversary is being resold for big money and a cart only just sold for $400 a couple months ago.

http://kck.st/3Vh50C1

Thanks for your time!

Nice video. Was good to see you, Thor, and Tusk. Made me LOL.

I was a backer, hope it has some future. I kinda expected it with the AI takedown bots scouring KS constantly...
Hope the future finds another avenue

I do think the price was a bit steep. Even if someone sold the 10 year old one for $400, I could point to lots of 10 year old games, homebrew, indie, and retail, that are worth even more than that now, with anywhere from 10 to thousands of copies made. That doesn't mean they should have cost more to begin with. Price it so that people who wanna play it can get to it, and signatures aren't worth an extra $80+. It's definitely your right to do it however you like, but I wanted to share my thoughts on that.

Edited by Hastor
  • Agree 2

I never understood why we need to be using Kickstarter for these kinds of projects. I see tons of people releasing games without the need of Kickstarter, and in this day and age we already have molds for cartridge shells, pcb manufacturing is cheap, etc. And given that this is someone else's IP as well, it just doesn't make sense to me why we need a KS. If special boards are needed, pay someone to engineer them. Produce the thing at 100 copies, sell for $50 each, that's 5K. Or do 200 copies or whatever. 

It was a cool project though.

• Agree 2

Typically a KS for a completed game is for manufacturing costs, if they aren't there upfront. I could make a game but not afford to make hundreds of physical carts without a KS or something. And yeah maybe a little profit in there, but I think it was too steep in this case. Trying to make part of the future value back upfront is weird.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I never understood why we need to be using Kickstarter for these kinds of projects. I see tons of people releasing games without the need of Kickstarter, and in this day and age we already have molds for cartridge shells, pcb manufacturing is cheap, etc. And given that this is someone else's IP as well, it just doesn't make sense to me why we need a KS. If special boards are needed, pay someone to engineer them. Produce the thing at 100 copies, sell for $50 each, that's 5K. Or do 200 copies or whatever. 

It was a cool project though.

Other than the free advertising, the point of doing NES games on KS is to have precise sale numbers before you manufacture the physical carts so that you don't have to worry about over-producing or under-producing your product...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Other than the free advertising, the point of doing NES games on KS is to have precise sale numbers before you manufacture the physical carts so that you don't have to worry about over-producing or under-producing your product...

Well that's all fine and good aside from the fact that some people don't do Kickstarter. I'm still waiting on a game from one of those.

On 6/15/2024 at 7:35 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

This could be done with pre-orders just the same, if you're sure you're gonna do it. KS is more for the exposure, and for some that aren't sure if they'll sell enough to be worth it - easier than canceling/refunding pre-orders.

Heck it has been a technique used by some just to get the 'funded in 24 hours' or whatever tag, plenty of backers, and cancel before it is over, then point people to their site, just for free advertising.

I wouldn't have known about this most likely if it wasn't on KS - though I do have friends that point out new physicals to me, so one may have caught it and let me know. KS is where I found it though, doing my normal weekly keyword searches.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/14/2024 at 11:43 PM, Hastor said:

I was a backer, hope it has some future. I kinda expected it with the AI takedown bots scouring KS constantly...
Hope the future finds another avenue

I do think the price was a bit steep. Even if someone sold the 10 year old one for $400, I could point to lots of 10 year old games, homebrew, indie, and retail, that are worth even more than that now, with anywhere from 10 to thousands of copies made. That doesn't mean they should have cost more to begin with. Price it so that people who wanna play it can get to it, and signatures aren't worth an extra $80+. It's definitely your right to do it however you like, but I wanted to share my thoughts on that.

yeah I really didn't put a ton of thought into the price.  It was my choice pretty much and not Julian's. I can tell you two things about the $170 price.  (As you probably saw, the golds costing double sold out in 6 hours!) 

1. the 25th anniversary was $150 and they sold out mostly in 2 days, and completely in a week.  They were immediately flipped for more and still command a bunch from what I understand.  I kinda was just like, well adjust for inflation and keep it the same.

2. My signature (Mihara) actually is worth something, at least in the small sample size of my Disney games being sold (Ebay auctions).  I've sold now something like 6-8 games CART ONLY that all fetched $200 plus shipped.  I counted over 12 unique bidders including some with "invenstments" in their handle.  WATAgraphs I believe will be a thing of the future for "esports pioneers" like myself, Thor Aackerlund and Chris Tang (both of them will soon add to the catalogue). We are all in the hall of fame with multiple credits that could be seen as at least a little cool.  Its safe to say that Thor's autograph is more coveted than mine and a lot of NWC stuff reflects that.

3. (i know i said 2) I come from a very insane world of sealed collecting (and mint cardboard CIBs) where $170 is really almost a starting point for a decent piece.  Thor and I have sold tons of NWC type things over the years and they always vanished quickly.  Including a T-shirt for nearly $50

Anyway, I really appreciate the mature feedback, just letting everyone know where I was coming from regarding that.

Edited by Tetris Mattress
  • Like 3