IGNORED

Video on NES Games with Multiple Quests with special guest Ken Lobb!

Posted (edited)

Just uploaded a YouTube video I've been working on that covers every single NES game that features multiple quests. I did an interview with Ken Lobb last year for a book I'm working on about NES difficulty, and was also able to slide in some questions about games with multiple quests since he worked on so many of them with Taxan/KID back in the day. So half the video is me diving into every single multi-quest games endings and half is Ken Lobb talking about how they came to be and his where the inspiration came to have them included in the first place. 

Would love any and all feedback if you have the time to check it out. 

Edited by Crabmaster2000
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

• The title was changed to Video on NES Games with Multiple Quests with special guest Ken Lobb!
On 5/27/2024 at 5:59 AM, Sumez said:

Man, there's something extremely endearing seeing people still so strictly married to the NES, that they insist on labeling game loops as "multiple quests". 🙂

Looking forward to checking this out.

I feel like they are different and Ken Lobb might back me up on this. Loops are just the same thing again with no new reward. And a game with a multiple quest would offer the player something extra for being the new experience. Like Contra loops, but Ghosts n Goblins offers a second quest. Similar, but different in execution 

On 5/27/2024 at 7:59 AM, Sumez said:

Man, there's something extremely endearing seeing people still so strictly married to the NES, that they insist on labeling game loops as "multiple quests". 🙂

Looking forward to checking this out.

The first Mario and Zelda specifically refer to starting another quest after you beat the game.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Graphics Team · Posted
20 hours ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

Oh no! Which games did I ruin for you?

I knew about the "second quest" in Metal Storm (probably my favorite action-platformer ever), but I didn't realize that it gave you the definitive ending, and I know I haven't got the skills for expert mode.

But I guess it all just leads to the question of your own personal criteria for "beating" a game. Like - I'd say I beat Burai Fighter even though I only ever finished it on easy mode. And I could probably convince myself that one loop of Metal Storm is good enough, too haha.

In any case - I applaud the effort you went through to document all these. You're a madman and I salute you.

[T-Pac]

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, T-Pac said:

I knew about the "second quest" in Metal Storm (probably my favorite action-platformer ever), but I didn't realize that it gave you the definitive ending, and I know I haven't got the skills for expert mode.

But I guess it all just leads to the question of your own personal criteria for "beating" a game. Like - I'd say I beat Burai Fighter even though I only ever finished it on easy mode. And I could probably convince myself that one loop of Metal Storm is good enough, too haha.

In any case - I applaud the effort you went through to document all these. You're a madman and I salute you.

[T-Pac]

That 2nd Quest is Metal Storm is Brutal!! Extremely hard. Like one of the most challenging things you can do in an NES game.

Ultimate Difficulty on Burai Fighter was very challenging too. It's so hard to keep weapons leveled up enough and the bosses take SO many hits.

On 5/28/2024 at 7:11 PM, Crabmaster2000 said:

I feel like they are different and Ken Lobb might back me up on this. Loops are just the same thing again with no new reward. And a game with a multiple quest would offer the player something extra for being the new experience. Like Contra loops, but Ghosts n Goblins offers a second quest. Similar, but different in execution 

I was with you until you dropped your example. Contra loops infinitely with an increase in difficulty each loop, and Ghosts n Goblins does exactly the same. What separates the two?

On 5/28/2024 at 7:16 PM, mbd39 said:

The first Mario and Zelda specifically refer to starting another quest after you beat the game.

I've always thought of "Second quest" as strictly a Zelda thing because of this.

The Mario thing is wishy-washy. They just replaced Goombas with Buzzy Beetles and called it a day.
For both games, though, you go back to the title screen, and the second quest is a separate playthrough of sorts. The game doesn't actually loop like a typical arcade style game.

I didn't want to post this in the comments to seem like I was throwing shade, but should Dino-Riki be on this list? I recall last year or so, one of you guys found out that after multiple loops or something, the Dino Riki sprite changes to a new character.  More than just a couple of loops, I think you might have had to breach a certain score, but I can't recall, nor find that discussion.

• Wow! 1

7 hours ago, Sumez said:

I've always thought of "Second quest" as strictly a Zelda thing because of this.

The Mario thing is wishy-washy. They just replaced Goombas with Buzzy Beetles and called it a day.
For both games, though, you go back to the title screen, and the second quest is a separate playthrough of sorts. The game doesn't actually loop like a typical arcade style game.

Because the ending of the game changes in Ghosts n Goblins. You get the illusion ending the first loop of the game and the real ending for the second loop. Nothing like that in Contra. 

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, RH said:

I didn't want to post this in the comments to seem like I was throwing shade, but should Dino-Riki be on this list? I recall last year or so, one of you guys found out that after multiple loops or something, the Dino Riki sprite changes to a new character.  More than just a couple of loops, I think you might have had to breach a certain score, but I can't recall, nor find that discussion.

That is news to me! I'll look into that right away.

Also I wouldn't consider that throwing shade. There's always new stuff to learn or that I could have missed. And Im happy to have someone correct me if I'm wrong on something. Helps me get better

Edited by Crabmaster2000

Awesome video.  I enjoyed Ken's perspective very much.  The whole time I kept thinking of "Infiltrator" and eventually realized that the 2nd and 3rd missions really aren't additional quests, just different levels with the ending after the third.  But that got me thinking about how two of the buildings randomly swap places in the 2nd and 3rd missions so you never know which is which until you go into one of them.  That in turn got me thinking about how much I enjoy games where things change every time you play it, with Paperboy 2 on NES being the premier example that I can think of off the top of my head.  That game never gets old to me because of the "randomized" house layouts.  I'm not even sure if it's truly randomized or if there are simply enough patterns to seem that way, but either way it makes every play refreshing...

Also, low G man looks like a kick ass game.  I've always heard that it's a really good under the radar game but finally seeing it makes me realize how overdue I am to play it.

• Love 1

Oh yeah, that interview with Ken is awesome.  I had no clue he was such an avid gamer, and my knowledge of him and his history had only picked up with his days at Rare an the N64.  He sounds like a truly awesome guy.

2 hours ago, RH said:

Oh yeah, that interview with Ken is awesome.  I had no clue he was such an avid gamer, and my knowledge of him and his history had only picked up with his days at Rare an the N64.  He sounds like a truly awesome guy.

Ken was so great to talk with. He just oozes love for games of all kinds, old and new, and was really kind to speak with. He mentioned that he wrote a letter to EGM complaining that Ikari Warriors II was too easy when we were talking. I dug around and found that it was in the pre-egm newsletters that he wrote that letter and sent him a copy. He thought that was pretty entertaining. 

Thanks for the link to the Dino-Riki stuff. That was all new info for me!

Posted (edited)

Didn't silver surfer have additional quests if you had a password or something. Can't remember and too lazy to look it up.

Also if you want to include famicom games recca has a hard mode you can access after clearing the normal mode.

Edited by peg
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, peg said:

Didn't silver surfer have additional quests if you had a password or something. Can't remember and too lazy to look it up.

Also if you want to include famicom games recca has a hard mode you can access after clearing the normal mode.

Silver Surfer loops again, but doesn't offer an extra ending for doing so