IGNORED

Vintage NES Game Haul (including "Not for Resale") - Pricing Help

MPG23

New here - thank you in advance. I just came into a NES game haul from an estate sale and wanted to get the venerable experts take on (i) is it worth getting any of these "graded?", and (ii) any particular standout games? I've searched PriceCharting.com but some are hard to benchmark.

• Photo #1: All games are brand new (in plastic) but boxes are not sealed; 3 are "not for resale" / promotional (StarTropics, Metroid, NES Golf); few have cellophane around majority of box (but not sealed)
  • Photo #2: All games are complete in boxes but games are not in plastic (presume may be used, albeit may also be new as packaged perfectly and looks as if contents of box was never removed); most have cellophane around majority of box (but not sealed)

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

IMG_7576 (1).jpg

IMG_7577 (1).jpg

These are all common titles and they are all only Complete in Box or CIB since the way you describe it all the seals have been broken or fully removed. I wouldn’t bother grading them and just sell for as close to price charting as I could. Searching eBay sold listings may net better results. 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

These are all common titles and they are all only Complete in Box or CIB since the way you describe it all the seals have been broken or fully removed. I wouldn’t bother grading them and just sell for as close to price charting as I could. Searching eBay sold listings may net better results. 

What about the 3x NFRs?  If this guy is just looking to flip, then it still might not be worth getting them graded, but I've not seen these types of NES NFRs.  Any clue where they came from?  (Also, I admit that I've not looked much into NES NFRs, so I admit ignorance.)

These were system pack-ins, I don't think, so where did these come from?

4 minutes ago, RH said:

What about the 3x NFRs?  If this guy is just looking to flip, then it still might not be worth getting them graded, but I've not seen these types of NES NFRs.  Any clue where they came from?  (Also, I admit that I've not looked much into NES NFRs, so I admit ignorance.)

These were system pack-ins, I don't think, so where did these come from?

This person has a graded version of the Metroid up for $2k but just because it’s listed at that price doesn’t mean it will sell. What I meant is I don’t think you’d make much more going through the hassle of grading them vs selling them raw. Obviously the NFR should sell for more than the others but use ebay sold rather than price charting to determine value for those. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/375224939548

• Thanks 1

Just a heads up you may also post those NFRs in our FS/FO forum as someone here might be interested in them. Can’t attest to what you should look for in value though. If someone was specifically looking for them you could charge a premium because they are indeed rare versions of common games. I think the most likely reason for those stickers was they were sold to Nintendo employees 

Edited by a3quit4s

Well, if OP is making his rounds on collector forums, he may also want to list each one as $1 auctions, posted on Sunday, ending the following Sunday (and be sure to add several high-quality photos.)

Basically, do some guerilla marketing of your goods and share your eBay account link.  Often the easiest way to get the most money, with minimal hassle, is to do it that way.

Plus, considering the rarity of these and general quality, I'm not sure grading would help the prices that much.  It might help some, but probably not enough to make it worth the effort.

6 hours ago, MPG23 said:

Super helpful. Thank you everyone. Great guidance.

On the NFRs, those are on the box itself. 

Are these for sale by any chance?

I'm really interested in them as a lot deal.

The NFR's are believed to be copies that Nintendo of America employees can purchase from the Nintendo employee store. They're usually stuff that comes off the factory line as "scratch and dent" stuff, meaning they weren't perfect samples, or just didn't pass QC 100% but met a certain threshold that was still good enough to sell at a discount to employees.

They're cool variants, and I think only first party games and accessories came with them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks again for everyone's help. I took the advice and listed everything tonight. Here's links to the three NFRs and my auction page:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126431492548

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166714730297

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166714732723

https://www.ebay.com/sch/139973/i.html?item=166714732723&_ssn=cooljay136

Edited by MPG23