IGNORED

The VGS Jaguar Challenge! Beat the Atari Jaguar library in 3 Months (06/50)

ezgif-6-52674be4db.gif.8b23c8075b9e910e3601276e6dd2a02e.gif

Hello and welcome to the Video Game Sage Jaguar Challenge!  Let's see if VGS can beat every Atari Jaguar game in 3 months (April 1, 12:00:00 AM to June 30, 11:59:59 PM)!

Like the Sega Master System Challenge from a few years ago, I'm making the time limit shorter than other "beat every" challenges due to the small size of the library.  I know the Jaguar isn't a very popular console, but maybe there are some others here like me that picked one up on a whim, but never spent any time with it.  I figured it's time for me to give some of these games a chance.

For those without a Jaguar, don't forget that there are a bunch of Jaguar games on the Atari 50: The Anniversary Collection, available on all modern platforms.

Rules:

Post the Atari Jaguar games you have played to completion within the time frame in this thread.  Pictures are encouraged, but not required.  No cheat codes, turbo controllers, or emulator tricks may be used.

Unbeaten:

Air Cars
    Alien vs. Predator
    Atari Karts
    Attack of the Mutant Penguins
    Breakout 2000
    Brutal Sports Football
    Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tails
    Cannon Fodder
    Checkered Flag
    Club Drive
    Cybermorph
    Defender 2000
    Doom
    Double Dragon V: The Shadow Falls
    Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story
    Evolution: Dino Dudes
    Fever Pitch Soccer
    Fight for Life
    Flashback: The Quest for Identity
    Hover Strike
    International Sensible Soccer
    Iron Soldier
    Iron Soldier 2
    I-War
    Kasumi Ninja
    Missile Command 3D
    NBA Jam: Tournament Edition
    Pinball Fantasies
    Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure
    Rayman
    Super Burnout
    Supercross 3D
    Syndicate
    Tempest 2000
    Theme Park
    Towers II
    Troy Aikman NFL Football
    Val d'Isere Skiing & Snowboarding
    White Men Can't Jump
    Wolfenstein 3D
    Worms
    Zero 5
    Zool 2
    Zoop

Beaten:

Ultra Vortek (Red)
Trevor McFur in the Crescent Galaxy (Red)
Power Drive Rally (Red)
Ruiner Pinball (Red)
Raiden (Gaia Gensouki)
Flip Out (Red)

Edited by Red

17 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I just beat all of them.

Are you saying I just beat Ultra Vortek for nothing!?

vortek.JPG.0d8c0d9fab87241e3552b6399038950d.JPG

Seriously, I just beat Ultra Vortek.  This thread is no joke!

• Haha 1

• The title was changed to The VGS Jaguar Challange! Beat the Atari Jaguar library in 3 Months (02/50)
  • The title was changed to The VGS Jaguar Challenge! Beat the Atari Jaguar library in 3 Months (04/50)

Power Drive Rally is done.  An unremarkable, but still fun overhead racing game.  Easily the best Jaguar exclusive I've played so far, even though that's not saying much.

Also beat the default high scores on both tables of Ruiner Pinball.  This one was a disappointment.  I had heard good things, but I thought it was pretty bland.  The camera is zoomed in way to much, making it difficult to judge your shots.  The exception is during multi-ball, but even then it can't zoom out enough (on one of the tables) for you the see where the other balls are.

Power.JPG.36b204c4fa83cf56371e27c94b55d597.JPG

Ruiner.JPG.0be6b1ce99c1f0574dc0a760c46f63cc.JPG

I've been giving a bunch of the other Jaguar exclusives a try and I'm having trouble finding another one that is even a little bit enjoyable.  The system really deserves it's bad reputation.  I'm almost in disbelief that I'm finding Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tails to be worse than Bubsy 3D.

That said...anyone else try anything yet?

24 minutes ago, Red said:

I've been giving a bunch of the other Jaguar exclusives a try and I'm having trouble finding another one that is even a little bit enjoyable.

I can't help in terms of playing since I'll be packing up all of my stuff for a big move soon, but I can tell you that Wolfenstein is a really good port and Cannon Fodder is too.  As for "exclusives," finding any good ones is definitely going to be a stretch...

I was skimming through these to see if there's maybe something simple and fun that I can plow through in a short amount of time, so I did one loop of Raiden, i.e. 8 levels. I liked this game on other platforms, but this one feels a little off. The graphics may be really good and there's lots of action going on with little to no slowdown. However, the controls feel a little bit sluggish and the horizontal scrolling of the screen is extremely slow. This means, that when you want to move to the left or right, you have to move pretty much to the edge of the screen and then it will slowly scroll to the side. Meanwhile enemies can shoot you with pretty much no reaction time.

Raiden.jpg

• The title was changed to The VGS Jaguar Challenge! Beat the Atari Jaguar library in 3 Months (05/50)
On 4/11/2024 at 12:33 AM, Dr. Morbis said:

I can't help in terms of playing since I'll be packing up all of my stuff for a big move soon, but I can tell you that Wolfenstein is a really good port and Cannon Fodder is too.  As for "exclusives," finding any good ones is definitely going to be a stretch...

I've now tried the majority of the exclusives and I'm almost ready to call Power Drive Rally the only good one.  I have very low expectations for the ones I haven't tried yet.  Cannon Fodder looks like it could be fun.  I'll give it a go once I finish giving all the exclusives I have a shot.

Editorials Team · Posted

I'm playing stuff, I'm determined to get on the list.

I always wanted to check out Attack of the Mutant Penguins after the AVGN Jaguar episode. So I've been noodling with it but I'm struggling with a lack of feedback. ("what? I thought I could put gremlins in this treasure chest. oh I DID put gremlins in there. How many did I put in? How many do I have left? Oh the round is over and I lost. How should I know how close it was?)

I tried Supercross 3D with 2 different emulators and ROMs, and the opponent players never leave the starting line. That has to be an emulation thing?

On 4/17/2024 at 10:43 AM, Splain said:

I'm playing stuff, I'm determined to get on the list.

I always wanted to check out Attack of the Mutant Penguins after the AVGN Jaguar episode. So I've been noodling with it but I'm struggling with a lack of feedback. ("what? I thought I could put gremlins in this treasure chest. oh I DID put gremlins in there. How many did I put in? How many do I have left? Oh the round is over and I lost. How should I know how close it was?)

I tried Supercross 3D with 2 different emulators and ROMs, and the opponent players never leave the starting line. That has to be an emulation thing?

Seems like an emulator thing.  That doesn't happen on my cart.

Attack of the Mutant Penguins felt like a chore to play.  I stopped pretty quickly.

I beat Flip Out.  What a dull puzzle game.  It's just matching colored tiles to panels of the same color while aliens occasionally shuffle or block the tiles.  It seemed easy enough so I thought I'd breeze through it and I did up until the final few levels.  Not that they we hard, just annoying.  The aliens would shuffle the panels more frequently, which just makes you have to redo what you already did.  Didn't make it harder, just made it take longer.

• The title was changed to The VGS Jaguar Challenge! Beat the Atari Jaguar library in 3 Months (06/50)
11 hours ago, Red said:

I beat Flip Out.  What a dull puzzle game.  It's just matching colored tiles to panels of the same color while aliens occasionally shuffle or block the tiles.  It seemed easy enough so I thought I'd breeze through it and I did up until the final few levels.  Not that they we hard, just annoying.  The aliens would shuffle the panels more frequently, which just makes you have to redo what you already did.  Didn't make it harder, just made it take longer.

I enjoy Flip Out and probably play it at least once a year.  I've never played it through to completion because it's the type of game I enjoy playing 20 minutes and stopping.  Obviously the game is not very pleasant to look at, but I still enjoy the puzzle aspect.  I was considering trying to beat it for the first time for this thread, but I guess you beat me to it.  

I have the Jaguar GameDrive, so I can play any Jag game, but I don't know of any other games I could play through to completion.  Most of the games I enjoy, I'm not great at.  I love Power Drive Rally, but I can't finish some of the later more challenging races.  I also enjoy Trevor McFur, but I can only beat it with cheat codes.  Tempest 2000 is fun, but when I play it, I only play until I run out of lives.  I can't beat that game, and I don't enjoy it enough to play it over and over until I get good enough to beat it.  Doom is a possibility, but playing it with the Jag controller isn't ideal.  

Edited by TDIRunner

On 4/19/2024 at 10:26 AM, TDIRunner said:

I enjoy Flip Out and probably play it at least once a year.  I've never played it through to completion because it's the type of game I enjoy playing 20 minutes and stopping.  Obviously the game is not very pleasant to look at, but I still enjoy the puzzle aspect.  I was considering trying to beat it for the first time for this thread, but I guess you beat me to it.  

I have the Jaguar GameDrive, so I can play any Jag game, but I don't know of any other games I could play through to completion.  Most of the games I enjoy, I'm not great at.  I love Power Drive Rally, but I can't finish some of the later more challenging races.  I also enjoy Trevor McFur, but I can only beat it with cheat codes.  Tempest 2000 is fun, but when I play it, I only play until I run out of lives.  I can't beat that game, and I don't enjoy it enough to play it over and over until I get good enough to beat it.  Doom is a possibility, but playing it with the Jag controller isn't ideal.  

If you like puzzle games, maybe try Zoop?  For the SNES thread, playing through ten levels is all that's required, so I think that would be okay for this thread as well.

I think Power Drive Rally might be impossible if you don't get the faster cars in time.  I restarted the first time I played because I couldn't clear a stage, even when it felt like I was playing it almost perfectly.  When I got to the same stage with a new car, I cleared it easily.  Some of the stages do get pretty tough even with the faster cars though.