IGNORED

The BEST "Shoot 'em ups" of ALL Time

Editorials Team · Posted

I've been actively working on a list of my top 200 favorite games overall, and looking at every shmup that's a candidate for that list is ending up something like this:

• Ikaruga - this is the game I've spent the most time with, bar none.  It's also the game I've put the most attention towards for 1CCs, no-death runs, high scores, etc.
  • Jamestown+ - My boys have 30+ hours of co-op play with me in this thing,and it still hasn't grown old.  It may not follow any purity template, but it doesn't matter when it's this fun and replayable.
  • UN Squadron - I named this the greatest SNES (US) shooter in my rankings once upon a time.  Slowdown and console port compromises aside, it's still the most fun you can have on the system imo.
  • R-Type III - the 2nd best shmup on the system, and the best R-Type in history.  Checkpoints are huge.
  • Einhander - Secretly the best Square game on the PS1?  Probably not if I sit and truly think about it, but the fact it's in the conversation says spades.
  • G-Darius - mega laser tug-a-war with gigantic crawfish.
  • Gradius V - Treasure handles a Gradius game.
  • Thunder Force IV - the best installment in this series, and the top Genesis shooter for me, but I haven't played Truxton yet (to the best of my memory).
  • Akai Katana - this is a recent potential addition.  Call it me being guilt-tripped into trying to get a Cave shooter on the list.  I don't know if the purists think of this as one of their better titles, but I know it's one that I personally have a lot of fun with.
  • Gun Nac - the best Compile game, and best 8-bit shooter?  Very possibly.  I haven't played Recca yet.

6 hours ago, G-type said:

Sine Mora
Beamrider
Strikeforce
Recca summer carnival
Turmoil
Lifeforce

Color me surprised, but somehow I figured a member with the screen name of "G-type" who has an image of R-type as their picture would list R-type as a favorite 🙃

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

Color me surprised, but somehow I figured a member with the screen name of "G-type" who has an image of R-type as their picture would list R-type as a favorite 🙃

I guess you didn't read my interview with Reed. I explained the origin of the name: I just wanted to modify a game name with my initials and this was the first one that popped into my head. I have barely played the actual game.

Edited by G-type