IGNORED

Completing Every North American Game Boy Game 100%

Guests · Posted

The other day, I started a list just like this for SNES games. I have a good love for the Game Boy as well, so I have decided to start this list where I complete every North American released Game Boy game with the 100%. This list will be done simultaneously with its SNES counterpart.

Guests · Posted

1/507 - Donkey Kong Land

IMG_1677.jpeg.ee79e28861068f600acd58e2622e1064.jpeg

Requirements For 100%

• Find Every Bonus Room
  • Complete the Game

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Donkey Kong Land when I finished it a couple months ago. Not only were the incredible graphics of Donkey Kong Country ported to the measly Game Boy, but they also decided to make this its own separate game instead of a port of DKC. It had some pretty fun and challenging level design and was overall fun to complete. My only problem with this game is how much the foreground and background blend in. This makes it much harder to see enemies, making it quite frustrating.

Edited by GamerSmith548

Guests · Posted

2/507 - Donkey Kong Land 2

IMG_1683.jpeg.1dce5631f663a4ba8479006c615da7f4.jpeg

Requirements For 100%

• Complete Every Bonus Room and Get Every Kremkoin
  • Get Every DK Coin and Become the Best Video Game Hero
  • Complete the Game
  • Complete the Lost World and Get the True Ending

Despite just practically being a port of DKC2, Donkey Kong Land 2 goes much farther than its predecessor. It was surprisingly hard to 100% this game, with lots of frustration being had when played. However, the foreground and background blending problem is fixed in this entry, and the whole beautiful essence of DKC2 is still masterfully ported onto the Game Boy. Although people may complain about its lack of originality, I definitely recommend it as a must play title.

Edited by GamerSmith548

Guests · Posted

3/507 - Metroid II: Return of Samus

IMG_1682.jpeg.41cdf467c28c8655193eb6de212e4738.jpeg

Requirements For 100%

• Destroy Every Metroid
  • Obtain Every Item
  • Complete the Game
  • Get the Best Ending (Beat the Game Under 3 Hours)

This might be an unpopular opinion, but Metroid II has to be my favorite 2D Metroid game (Perhaps even over Super Metroid). It’s probably just a nostalgia thing, but I would spend hours playing through this game. It might not be great by todays standards, but I enjoyed every last bit of it, especially when it left you on a great cliffhanger for Super Metroid at the end of the game

Edited by GamerSmith548

6 minutes ago, GamerSmith548 said:

3/507 - Metroid II: Return of Samus

IMG_1612.jpeg.1fc428273adcf312ae78af171aa31811.jpeg

Requirements For 100%

• Destroy Every Metroid
  • Obtain Every Item
  • Complete the Game
  • Get the Best Ending (Beat the Game Under 3 Hours)

This might be an unpopular opinion, but Metroid II has to be my favorite 2D Metroid game (Perhaps even over Super Metroid). It’s probably just a nostalgia thing, but I would spend hours playing through this game, playing it on the same Super Game Boy and SNES that I use, actually. It might not be great by todays standards, but I enjoyed every last bit of it, especially when it left you on a great cliffhanger for Super Metroid at the end of the game.

Dude, don't worry about what other's think.  Metroid 2 is a perfect 10 in my book.  I didn't have a SNES as a kid.  I can't objectively say if it's not better than Super Metroid, as it's an amazing game too, but M2 did so much, with so little.  I love it.

Just so that you're aware: Donkey Kong Land 2 and Metroid 2 are both still uncompleted over at the Beat The Game Boy Thread so you might like to stop over there and let everyone know that you've beaten those two.  🙂 

We could always use some help in the completion challenge threads. There's always a decent number of people on the NES threads, but Game Boy and SNES could really use some more help.

And on a site note: If you really want to clear the entire libraries, then don't play all of the fun and great games at the beginning, because then you will be left with dozens, if not hundreds, of games that are mediocre or plain terrible. So if you don't have anything fun to look forward to anymore at this point, the challenge will most likely fail. The start of each of these challenges seems to be fun and progress really smoothly, but then you eventually hit a brick wall and you have situations where noone wants to play the remaining games anymore, because they're all duds. We were once stuck at 665 out of 677 NES games for months.

So maybe consider going at this a bit strategically, i.e. change it up between long and short, difficult and easy games, different genres, trash games and great games etc. Some streamers even use randomness to figure out what to play next, either by a random number generator or marble races.

Personally, I've given up on the idea of ever finishing an entire console's library even though I have already something like almost 200 NES games beaten. The reason is that some games are incredibly difficult to the point that I've given up on the idea of ever beating them. Plus, there are many games and certain genres that I just don't like at all, like sports games. So instead I just play the games or genres that I'm interested in.

Sorry for the long rant. I hope you have fun with the challenge and good luck!

Edited by Gaia Gensouki
  • Agree 1

Guests · Posted
On 3/16/2024 at 9:19 AM, Gaia Gensouki said:

We could always use some help in the completion challenge threads. There's always a decent number of people on the NES threads, but Game Boy and SNES could really use some more help.

And on a site note: If you really want to clear the entire libraries, then don't play all of the fun and great games at the beginning, because then you will be left with dozens, if not hundreds, of games that are mediocre or plain terrible. So if you don't have anything fun to look forward to anymore at this point, the challenge will most likely fail. The start of each of these challenges seems to be fun and progress really smoothly, but then you eventually hit a brick wall and you have situations where noone wants to play the remaining games anymore, because they're all duds. We were once stuck at 665 out of 677 NES games for months.

So maybe consider going at this a bit strategically, i.e. change it up between long and short, difficult and easy games, different genres, trash games and great games etc. Some streamers even use randomness to figure out what to play next, either by a random number generator or marble races.

Personally, I've given up on the idea of ever finishing an entire console's library even though I have already something like almost 200 NES games beaten. The reason is that some games are incredibly difficult to the point that I've given up on the idea of ever beating them. Plus, there are many games and certain genres that I just don't like at all, like sports games. So instead I just play the games or genres that I'm interested in.

Sorry for the long rant. I hope you have fun with the challenge and good luck!

Thanks for the good advice! I’ll try to use it for my next games. It’s great to see that I’m getting some good support.

Edited by GamerSmith548

Guests · Posted

4/507 - Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge

IMG_1687.jpeg.5ade33e648404b635939f43b7e64ef86.jpeg

Requirements For 100%

• Get Every Special Weapon
  • Obtain Carry
  • Complete the Game

I may be a huge Mega Man fan, but unfortunately, MMI for Game Boy just feels more like a chore to accomplish. Sure, it may be Mega Man’s debut on the Game Boy, but for some reason, it just doesn’t feel like a Mega Man game. There is just something about the feel of the game that throws me off. The difficulty is massive in this game, as well. On the bright side, though, I did enjoy the many mechanics, like the icicle puzzles, and I was able to get some enjoyment out of this game, but it is just very rough around the edges.

Guests · Posted

5/507 - Mega Man II

IMG_1692.jpeg.ed917f4126521560f940dab621ab4c64.jpeg

Requirements For 100%

• Get Every Special Weapons
  • Obtain Rush Coil, Rush Marine, and Rush Jet
  • Complete the Game

MMII can be described quite simply as a mediocre game. The music is glitched out and sounds high pitched, level design is terrible, bosses are bad, and so much more. However, I do have to say that I actually enjoyed it more than Mega Man’s first Game Boy outing. For some reason, this game just feels more like a Mega Man game than MMI did. Despite that, this game has to be one of the most poorly designed Game Boy games I have played so far. If you really want to play this game, just trust me, mute the volume.

Edited by GamerSmith548

• 2 weeks later...